Vacuum Tube Valley: Ultra Sonic Line Stage Preamp. Sonic Characteristics?

88man

I've been trying to keep an open mind about tube preamps. I received some great suggestions from several members on U.S. tube preamps. Since it's impossible to hear any of these preamps in person, I have to rely on reviews and user judgement. I am looking for a sound that will offer a different palate from my Odyssey SS preamp. I am leaning toward the 6SN7 topology.

I am looking for a big, extended FR, transparent, 3D, sound with a large soundstage. Considering the following:

1. VTV Ultra Sonic Line Stage - ? no reviews
2. Mapletree 2A - too "classic tube" sound; few reviews suggest slightly rolled off highs.
3. Melos MA333R - impossible to find
4. AE-3 MkII - impossible to find
5. Transcendent Ground Grid Preamp - topology not 6SN7
6. Decware CSP2 Preamp - topology not 6SN7

Nothing is perfect. I've read all that I can about the following preamps, and on paper it looks like the VTV Ultra Sonic Line Stage Preamp may have the sound that I am looking for. Thanks to JackD201 for his initial suggestion for the VTV! I tried e-mailing VTV, but didn't get a response. So I thought if others can comment on the sound of the VTV Ultra Sonic Line Preamp?...

Thanks.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Can't answer your question, all I know is that it is a direct coupled design using a common cathode gain stage and a cathode follower that is AC coupled to the output. The AE-3 is similar. I used to own a Bottlehead Foreplay that used the same general design philosophy using 12AU7's and I really loved it at the time. Its a tried and true topology that works.

Here is another preamp you didn't mention but uses the 6SN7 and is DIY if you are up to it.

Blue Velvet.

Best,
Anand.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
There's someone on DIYAudio that built a 6SN7-based Grounded Grid...just search for it and you'll come up with the thread.

Or, you could build an octal Aikido board and use 6SN7s. John Broskie has all-in-ones that have a SS rectified PSU already on the PCB, or just the preamp stage if you want to go tube rectified or have your own design.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
There's someone on DIYAudio that built a 6SN7-based Grounded Grid...just search for it and you'll come up with the thread.

Or, you could build an octal Aikido board and use 6SN7s. John Broskie has all-in-ones that have a SS rectified PSU already on the PCB, or just the preamp stage if you want to go tube rectified or have your own design.

I agree. The Aikido that I've heard just has wonderful sonics. Inexpensive as well. Great choice.

Anand.

twitch54

6SN7.........Cary Audio clearly comes to mind !

88man

... I was away for a while. Good advice here. Firstly, I tried calling Vacuum Tube Valley and their number is disconnected - so there is that answer!

Anand, I've had the Blue Velvet schematic for 2 years, and have always been fascinated to build it. I've steadily bought some components for it too - NOS Matched Sylvania 6SN7-GTB tubes, RCA OA2 tubes, etc... Someday I'll get the Tung Sol 6SN7 Round Plates if the circuit sounds good...

Jim, the Aikido seems like it's a versatile beginners kit. I could even use the Blue Velvet power supply in the Aikido since it has tube rectification, tube regulation, and heater voltage regulation all with a B+ of 204Vdc. Making judgments from a PCB design, I wasn't aware that the Aikido Octal had good sound.

A 6SN7-based Grounded Grid sounds alluring too. I'll have to look into it...

Thanks guys!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
The Aikido is pretty flexible for power supplies...the BV supply would work great :)

I'm really tempted to build one myself, just need to figure out how I'm doing the chassis...