Balanced tube DAC suggestions

Don_S

Balanced tube DAC suggestions
« on: 12 Sep 2009, 05:38 pm »
I am looking for a tube DAC with balanced in/out.   So far I have only found Audio Note.

I would appreciate references to any other brands available and comments regarding performance from anyone familiar with them.

Will2

Re: Balanced tube DAC suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2009, 10:18 am »
Hi,

Not sure if this thread is still "live" but you cold look at the Tube Audio Design TADAC as a "value" proposition.  They come up here and on AudiogoN periodically - anything from $450 (only saw one at this price and it sold really fast) to $750 used.  Can get a remote for it too.  Paul, the manufacturer, has been great to deal with.

Cheers
Will

Tucko

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2009, 02:28 pm »
Look at the Audiologic "34 MXL DAC" from Jerry Ozment.

chosenhandle

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2009, 03:45 pm »
Look at the Audiologic "34 MXL DAC" from Jerry Ozment.

+1 outstanding DAC

I believe that Thor Audio is reintroducing their DAC which is based on Jerry's design. Not positive though.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:20 pm »
Check Benchmark.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:29 pm »
Check Benchmark.

Benchmark is neither a tube DAC nor does it have a balanced analog input(s).

Steve

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2009, 05:43 pm »
Oops!
Check Benchmark.

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2009, 06:05 pm »
I am looking for a tube DAC with balanced in/out.   

Music Hall 25.2 great DAC.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2009, 06:10 pm »
Music Hall 25.2 great DAC.
The Music Hall 25.2 DAC has balanced outputs on the solid state outputs, but the tube outputs are single ended.

Check Benchmark.

Oops!

That's why a lot of suggestions aren't coming in.  The number of tube DACs with balanced tube outputs is small; the number with a balanced input(s) is miniscule.

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
Tubes are too big and hot to be as close to the DAC chip as good circuit design requires. They need distance from the DAC chip which allows inductance in the leads. They are also too noisy, which wastes the headroom of the DAC chip. Better to add tube flavoring after a balanced SS DAC. All DAC chips are SS anyway, so their is no absolution. Good discreet I/V and buffer stage in the DAC isn't hard to find. Bryston, ARC, SimAudio, many more have great audiophile quality balanced output DACs.  Then get a sweet sexy tube line stage for flavoring. The Oracle DAC1000 is especially good at space and tone, what we like in tubes.

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2009, 02:56 am »
ACCUSTIC ARTS TUBE DAC II

markC

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:41 am »
That's why I modded my DAC60 to convert it from passive I/V to I/V via opamp then off to the tubes. Much better! Of course it takes an OPA 627 to accomplish this along with a much modified low pass circuit.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2009, 04:22 am »
This is easy. Kevin Carter's RAKK dac Mark II, soon to be replaced with the RAKK dac Mk III. Pics below. Just click on the link to the left and begin reading, it tells you everything.

Here is the picture of the dac itself:

Here is the picture of the tube output stage that is fully differential/balanced using 6N6P tubes and Lundahl amorphous core output transformers:

Kevin will be more than happy to help you build the kit or just fully build it for you. I'm surprised richidoo didn't mention him since Kevin is in Apex, NC. His forum is here.

Best,

Anand.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2009, 05:24 am »
We may be posting in vain, as although Don_S has posted on AudioCircle as recently as today, he is MIA from this post that he started 3 months ago.

Steve

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:46 pm »
We may be posting in vain, as although Don_S has posted on AudioCircle as recently as today, he is MIA from this post that he started 3 months ago.

Steve

Steve, I already send a pm to his box last night, hopefully he gets/reads his pm's!

Lots of good ideas though, so it isn't in vain. Others can learn from this. :icon_lol:

Anand.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:28 pm »
The Lector Digitube DAC is truley balanced in and out. If you can locate one. Hard to find used since not many let it go.

charles

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:15 pm »
I have not yet met Kevin, although we live in the same town. I hear he is a really swell guy. I did hear the Rakk once, but it was 2 years ago, an early prototype of a new model, mk2 maybe? I liked the Altmann better at the time. But I never heard the finished version of mk2 Rakk. It definitely fits the bill for what Don is looking for.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:40 pm »
I guess I was a little confused over the initial requirement for balanced analog inputs ("... with Balanced In/Out"), although at least one of the suggestions had one (the Audio Note).

He wants to also use it as a switcher because he has no preamp, but does have a volume control somewhere......?

Steve

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2009, 09:10 pm »
Steve

Regarding balanced inputs, no problem. See pic below it is the Combo input board that Kevin Carter sells. So this dac is fully differential uses tubes, amorphous core transformers and can also be used as multiple input linestage with both RCA's and XLR's, no problem.

Here is a link to his linestage page as well. Its very, very nice, along with a balanced shunt attenuator using Seiden switches.

You can have your cake and eat it too. He can also hook you up with a remote control through Bent Audio.

Best,
Anand.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 5 Dec 2009, 09:47 pm »
You can have your cake and eat it too. He can also hook you up with a remote control through Bent Audio.

Anand,

Like you say, we can all learn something here, because I guess Don_S is out!

I looked through the K&K Audio site, and saw the prices for all the modules.  I also saw a complete kit with enclosure for $1799.  So that it appears that the enclosure and some jacks and IEC connector is about $460.  That seems a little steep, and I'm not exactly sure what is included.  One coaxial RCA input jack, 2 RCA output jacks, 2 XLR output jacks and the IEC connector?  And it appears 2 wood knobs also, but you wouldn't be using them unless you bought the second input and volume options.

I also see that the enclosure is 18-1/8" wide which is kind of strange (I have 18-1/2" clearance in my rack).

There is no mention of assembly offered, although you alluded to that.  What does this DAC cost assembled, tested and waranteed for someone that doesn't want to DIY?

That being said, it's out of my price range.  I was following and posting in the Eastern Electric DAC thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72820.0.  I wondered if you had read any of that, and have any comments on that for someone like me who doesn't need balanced outputs and wants to spend about 1/3 of what the Rakk DAC might cost?

Steve