How to connect HAGUSB to a preamp

openback

How to connect HAGUSB to a preamp
« on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:53 am »
I bought a HagUSB and needing some help on how to use it.  I hooked up a USB cable from the hagUSB to my computer but don't see how I can connect it to my preamp line inputs as it only has a headphone output and a S/PDif output.  My 
M-Audio Transit USB has a 2 of RCA jacks where I can connect to my preamp but this one does not have those jacks.  Did I buy the wrong thing.  The instruction said I need to hook up a cable from S/PDif to a DAC which confused the heck out of me as I thought this thing is a DAC.

All I wanted to do is upgrading my M-Audio Transit USB Dac with something with better sound quality.  Thanks.

WGH

Re: How to connect HAGUSB to a preamp
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:04 am »
Sorry to inform you that the HagUSB is the interface between your computer and a standard DAC that does not have a USB input.

The good news is that you can now get any DAC that is made and get excellent sound by plugging the HagUSB S/PDIF output into your new DAC.

Wayne

openback

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:55 am »
Thank you Wayne for your reply.  I guess I have bought the wrong thing.  Though do you think it world work if I use a Y adapter and hook up the cable from headphone to line inputs of the preamp???

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2009, 03:32 am »
It would work but the sound would be worse than the M-Audio.

I still use an M-Audio Transit but only for movies into a surround decoder. I compared it's sound to a the HagUSB/Scott Nixon tube DAC combo and the S/N had a fuller rounder sound with more depth, the transit was flat and lifeless. But I decided I am not the non-oversampling type and prefer a bit more punch to my music so I sold the Scott Nixon and moved to an oversampling DAC.