Nuforce Icon Family of Products For 2009

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Nuforce Icon Family of Products For 2009
« Reply #40 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:17 am »
All our products are worldwide AC. I will update the features and spec.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 26 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm »
Does the HDP have a selectable input for switiching between analog 3.5mm, USB & Optical/Coax ? I am hoping to connect the HDP USB input to my mac, 3.5mm input for my PMP and Optical to my PS3 at the same time.
Due to the board space limitation, optical and 3.5mm are shared, so unfortunately you have to swap physical optical cable and 3.5mm analog. 

Singapore

« Reply #42 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:30 am »
Thanks Casey. So the USB & optical/3.5mm are separate selectable inputs?

Would you also be able to let me know when the Icon AMP in Blue will be available?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #43 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:40 pm »
Icon Amp, Icon and Icon HDP all shared the same chassis.
Therefore even if you don't see it offered, email directsales (if you're buying from US) or order through your local dealer to put in a special request.

We don't stock all colors for Icon Amp but blue or red can be requested.

Jason

6rs

Re: Nuforce HDP availability?
« Reply #44 on: 8 Dec 2009, 11:37 am »
Hi
I wonder when the Nuforce Icon HDP will be available?
Thanks, Bruno

dboulet

« Reply #45 on: 9 Dec 2009, 07:13 am »
Can we get more information about the new Icon AMP? More specifically, how the sound compares to that of the original Icon?

Also, the amp is currently out of stock, when can we expect new stock?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:34 pm »
December 14 for new stocks for uDAC and Icon Amp.
Icon Amp has more power (RMS and peak) so it is better for driving other speakers.  Sound wise, Icon Amp is not as transparent as Icon but still pretty good.

Xan7hos

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:20 am »
Hi Jason,

I was about to pull the trigger on the Icon AMP, but your comment about the original Icon being more transparent made me a bit worried, can you elaborate as to why this is the case? I assumed the Icon AMP would be better than the original in which you're removing less parts (headphone amp, DAC), hence it would be simpler/cleaner.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2009, 09:58 am »
we audiophiles pick on very fine details.
Icon Amp is not identical to Icon, in some ways it is a little better and in others Icon is better.

Singapore

« Reply #49 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:02 pm »
Hi Jason,

Any idea when the Blue HDP will be out? I need it to match my Blue Icon Amp. Maybe in the near future introduce a rack accessory for AMP & HDP users. :thumb: 2 separate bases take up too much space...

Oh by the way, you've got a good distributor in Hong Kong. He delivers FAST!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #50 on: 19 Feb 2010, 02:12 pm »
We don't explicitly sell the blue or red HDP but you can just request for it through your dealer/distributor.

Astroboy

« Reply #51 on: 19 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
Is there any release date yet for HDP in Sweden?
Thanks,

sherkaner

« Reply #52 on: 19 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »
Hello,

I've just recently heard about Nuforce products, and I'm really impressed!  I'm trying to decide what to get for my desktop DAC+amp setup, but I'm confused about something I hope you can help me with.

The headphones I use (Stax) have their own required unique headphone amp, so I'm looking for something that includes a fixed level output, so that I can use volume control for speakers, and the Stax's own volume control for headphones.  The Icon has a "line out", but it seems like it's really a preamp out (ie. the volume control affects the level of output).  Is that correct?  Is there any way of getting a fixed level output from the Icon?

I assume the RCA outputs in the uDAC are fixed level (with the volume only affecting the headphone output), but then the Icon Amp only has one input, and I have a couple of sources (USB, and line input).  The HPD seems like it might work, but that's quite a bit more expensive...

Thanks for any guidance!

cliffy

« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:04 am »
The uDAC RCA outputs are also controlled by the volume knob.

sherkaner

« Reply #54 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:08 am »
The uDAC RCA outputs are also controlled by the volume knob.

Oh, odd.  So you go through 2 volume controls if you mate that to an Icon Amp?

In any case, I guess there's no way to get a fixed-level (what I would think of as "line out") output from the Icon then?  Setting aside my funny headphones, it seems like others might want that for things like recording, or connection to a second audio zone or somesuch.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #55 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:44 am »
This issue of volume control on Icon, Icon Amp, uDAC etc has been widely discussed on head-fi.org
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/first-impressions-nuforce-udac-usb-dac-amp-line-out-s-pdif-out-456945/#post6178849
Well, the above thread is out of control now, with too many postings.
The bottom line is that the volume control on uDAC, Icon Amp are all the same high quality analog volume pot and you can just set it at a fix level (up to 100% is ok).

With two volume control you can actually optimize the gain.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:47 am »
The Icon has a "line out", but it seems like it's really a preamp out (ie. the volume control affects the level of output).  Is that correct?

No, it is a line out. We don't recommend using the line out if you don't have speaker connected to Icon. Icon was never designed for this purpose and there is a danger that a high output signal could damage the filters on the speaker terminals.

sherkaner

« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:25 am »
No, it is a line out. We don't recommend using the line out if you don't have speaker connected to Icon. Icon was never designed for this purpose and there is a danger that a high output signal could damage the filters on the speaker terminals.

Oh, I see.  It sounds like the line out (for subwoofer I guess) is somehow connected to the speaker level output.  So anyway, not useful for what I want to do.

Thanks for your response about the volume control -- I don't read a lot of audio forums and I hadn't seen that thread you mentioned.  I see what you're saying about the quality of the volume control, although I'm not sure I want to disconnect my headphone amp to use the speakers.  I was hoping I could just use the Icon volume control for speakers, and the Stax volume control for headphones and leave the system like that. But that's my problem, not yours :)

Thanks again for the answers.  You guys are really responsive!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:22 am »
Oh, I see.  It sounds like the line out (for subwoofer I guess) is somehow connected to the speaker level output.  So anyway, not useful for what I want to do.

No. Because if you only use the line out without using the speaker output, then the speaker output will still be driven.  The speaker output will be cut off if headphone output is used.

Looks like you have a unique problem where you want to select between two outputs: one for line out and the other for volume controlled out.

I think there is a solution:
PC --USB--> Icon Mobile (set volume to max) --headphone amp out1 --> Stax
          -- headphone amp out2 --> Icon Amp (turned off when not used) --> Speakers

sherkaner

« Reply #59 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:39 pm »
No. Because if you only use the line out without using the speaker output, then the speaker output will still be driven.  The speaker output will be cut off if headphone output is used.

Hm.  So if I always have speakers plugged in, with the Stax amp plugged into the line out, would that be okay?  That would be perfect if so -- I could turn the volume down on the Icon if I wanted to use headphones, or I could turn the volume down on the Stax amp if I wanted to use speakers.  Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding you though.

Looks like you have a unique problem where you want to select between two outputs: one for line out and the other for volume controlled out.

I think there is a solution:
PC --USB--> Icon Mobile (set volume to max) --headphone amp out1 --> Stax
          -- headphone amp out2 --> Icon Amp (turned off when not used) --> Speakers

Well, I mentioned before that I have the problem of both a couple of outputs and a couple if inputs.  That's why I wanted the Icon.  I think the HPD might be perfect, just a bit overkill and pricy (for a desktop PC system).

At minimum, I think I'll get a uDAC once those are back in stock.  Either I'll use it in this system, or with my laptop on trips.  It's too cool to not be useful somewhere :)