Yo Wayne!
 CSU or Co?

Cheers
                                Charlie

Wayne1

Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2009, 02:56 am »
Charlie,

I was rooting for CSU. I'm hoping for Mizzou to three peat in the Big 12 North. Anyone who defeats another Big 12 team is fine in my book.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:08 am »
Mizzou will be B12 north champs. Though thats not saying much.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2009, 05:26 pm »
The Tigers are much better than the "experts" predicted. Pinkel has them very close to reloading instead of rebuilding. 37 of the 51 on the 2 deep depth chart are freshman or sophomores. Blaine gabbert is the real deal and could be the best QB to ever play at Mizzou. It only took 40 years, but Mizzou is finally back to to the level of success it enjoyed when I was in school and Dan Devine was head coach.

Go Tigers!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm »
I can pull for Mizzou until they get to the playoff with the southern champion, then I have to pull for Colt and the Longhorns.  He took his high school physics from me and made a very nice set of Vifa MTM's for his final project.  He's a genuinely nice kid.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:50 am »
I can pull for Mizzou until they get to the playoff with the southern champion, then I have to pull for Colt and the Longhorns.  He took his high school physics from me and made a very nice set of Vifa MTM's for his final project.  He's a genuinely nice kid.

That's a cool project! :thumb: Perhaps a little "teacher influence?" From the interviews I've seen and from what my cousins in Austin tell me, Colt is a very humble and gracious person with a very strong Christisn faith. He seems to be well-grounded. Texas deserved to be in the Big 12 championship game last year and they should be there this year. I hope homecoming for Missou is a preview of the Big 12 cahmapionship game. Texas was the better team last year and, if pressed, I would say they should beat Mizzou this year.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:36 pm »
Mizzou made it into the AP Top 25 this week  :thumb:

Blaine Gabbert had the highest QB rating in the entire Big 12.

It should be a good year for the Tigers.

BTW, check this out: College Football News has Mizzou ranked #8!
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2009, 11:54 pm by Wayne1 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:35 am »
Seriously, I read that Colt had a bit of an off day--- 72% completion, 21 of 29 passes for 317 yards, two touchdowns, and one pick.  Boy, he sure better improve or UT is in big trouble  :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2009, 08:15 pm »
Wayne,

was your daughter one of the 65,000 at the game? It took 3 quarters before Mizzou finally got the office going. Fortunate to win. They are young--34 of the 51 on the two deep depth chart are freshmen or sophmores. They should be 4-0 when the huskers come to Columbia on Oct 8.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2009, 01:32 pm »
My daughter was at the game. I was listening to it over the 'net.

I was impressed that the team kept at it and found a way to stop the mistakes.

I think the come from behind victory says a lot about these young men.

Even though the AP dropped them from the top 25, I think they may make it back in later in the season.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2009, 05:02 pm »
I have lots of fond memories from Memorial Stadium during the 7 years I was in Columbia and as a season ticket holder for the 6 years I lived in KCMO. Great atmosphere! We used to enjoy meeting Marching Mizzou at Jesse Hall and walking with them as the marched to the stadium.

I do think they will be back in the top 25 (they are in the Coaches poll) in the AP poll by the time they play Nebraska.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:33 pm »
Wayne,

I went to Reno for the Nevada game. 2,000 Mizzou fans showed up. The alumni association threw a great tailgate party. Mizzou needs to find a running game and the line play needs to get a lot better on both sides of the ball. Blaine Gabbert is the real deal! Receivers are very good. Alexander is every bit as good as he was in the KU game in 2007. Nevada game was mediocre and Mizzou was fortunate to win. Got outplayed in the trenches. The stadium was smaller than some high school stadiums I've seen in Texas. Stands were too far from the field.

Found time to plow through the used vinyl at Recycled Records.

Look forward to seeing you at RMAF.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2010, 09:07 pm »
Three weeks and two days until kickoff for Mizzou v Illinois.

Go Tigers

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:47 pm »
What a huge victory for Mizzou, beating OU for the first time since 1998 (something Devine did with regularity in the 60's when I was at MU). The big difference between this year and the Chase Daniel led teams was Mizzou's line play. Unlike 2007 & 08, OU did not control the line of scrimmage. Gabbert had time to throw and the running game was the best since the Tigers throttled Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl after the 2007 season.

Now it's from the frying pan to the fire as Mizzou heads to Lincoln. The winner likely wins the Big 12 North. The whole conference should be pulling for the Tigers since Nebr turned its nose up at the Big 12 and is bolting for the Big 10.

GO TIGERS

vinyl_lady

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:14 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how I can get to Lincoln, but will probably have to watch it on TV.

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:26 pm »
I think the Tigers are much better than they were last year, especially on defense against the pass. Defense has always been the name of the game against potent offensive teams all though I have to wonder how they'd fare against Oregon's type of no-huddle offense.  :scratch:

Did you not watch the game, Robin?

OU has been running the hurry up, no huddle for a few years now. In prep for OU, Mizzou had two separate practice teams run offense against their defense, one after another, so they could be ready for that sort of speed. It didn't work out too well for OU.

Laura, in spite of the game, I wouldn't wish a weekend in Lincoln on anyone  :lol:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:29 pm »
What a huge victory for Mizzou, beating OU for the first time since 1998 (something Devine did with regularity in the 60's when I was at MU). The big difference between this year and the Chase Daniel led teams was Mizzou's line play. Unlike 2007 & 08, OU did not control the line of scrimmage. Gabbert had time to throw and the running game was the best since the Tigers throttled Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl after the 2007 season.

Now it's from the frying pan to the fire as Mizzou heads to Lincoln. The winner likely wins the Big 12 North. The whole conference should be pulling for the Tigers since Nebr turned its nose up at the Big 12 and is bolting for the Big 10.

GO TIGERS
M I Z!!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:32 pm »
Laura, in spite of the game, I wouldn't wish a weekend in Lincoln on anyone  :lol:

The last time I saw a Mizzou Nebr game in Lincoln was 1978 when Mizzou won 35-31 the week after NU finally beat OU. Mizzou had Phil Bradley at QB, Kellen Winslow Sr., James Wilder and two defensive backs who played in the NFL--Eric Wright (SF) and Johnnie Poe (NO). As soon as the game was over we weent to Omaha for dinner and a hotel room. No weekend in Lincoln for this girl :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:43 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2010, 09:37 pm »
Amen Sister!!
That's the first football game I've seen in a couple decades. Had a few buddies over, some beer, some pizza. Watched a great game on the big screen!

Cool stuff, go Mizzou.  8)

Bob