Bass Room Treatments

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Bass Room Treatments
« on: 2 Jan 2004, 12:34 am »
After spending much time over at Audio Asylum, I found this site:

RealTraps

I have been trying to find an affordable product that would work well on low bass.  I tried building my own traps and those worked ok, but didn't produce the results I was looking for and were not the prettiest things to look at.  I also tried the EchoBusters P4 bass towers, but felt that for the money ($600/pair) they didn't make enough of an impact.

So I had a long talk with Ethan (owner of RealTraps) and decided to give them a try.  I will be using these in conjunction with my 8thNerve treatments to start with and depending on the results may try them by themselves.

I realize that at $320/pair, they aren't as inexpensive as the 8thNerve products, but the 8thNerve products don't really address the very low bass.  If the RealTraps products work as promised, they are a very good value when compared to the ASC and EchoBusters of the world.

Just curious, anybody here using the RealTraps products?

GW

Hantra

Bass Room Treatments
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2004, 12:54 am »
G:

Have you looked at the 8th Nerve Framed Response Controllers?  I had a bass problem that the regular controllers could not tame, and after speaking with the guys, I ordered the larger framed devices, and they were able to do quite a bit more to tame this than the smaller products. . .  

I would imagine the new speakers just put out TONS of bass, right?

L8r,

B

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Bass Room Treatments
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2004, 01:00 am »
B,

From my talks with Nathan I wasn't confident it was going to handle issues with low (80-30hz) bass.

Yes, the more I play with the 40's the better the bass is getting.  All of this is happening while using zip cord for speaker cable and the "bottom challanged" Audience ic's between pre and Adcom (bass amp in biamp config).

I am trying to find some reasonable priced ic's/cable for bass duties.

Not to hijack my own thread, but how is the pc as a source sounding?  Any changes?

GW

Hantra

Bass Room Treatments
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2004, 01:51 am »
Man, the PC is sounding great!  No changes b/c I have a FREAKING cold.  I can't even hear it.  I did listen a while last night, but it sounds like crap when my head is all stuffed, and I feel like I am underwater.  ;-)

Anyhow, I am not so sure anymore that the Audience is "challenged" down low.  Right now, I have the best bass I have ever had.  It wasn't until I got rid of this really horrible rack, and made some changes to the room, that I got amazing bass.  

I have compared other cables that have more bass, but I don't think it's as tight as the Audience.  I will say the bass of the AU24 improves a LOT when they are OFF the floor, and away from other cables.  That's why I have mine up on the wall.

L8r,

B