Last Samurai--mild spoilers.

IanATC

« on: 1 Jan 2004, 11:01 pm »
This movie was particularly enjoyable.  It was in the vein of "Dances with wolves"  about a US civil war captain that is remorseful about his past fighting with indian tribes. Honour is the theme.

He recieved the Medal of Honour for his bravery, but because of his concience, got a job hawking rifles like a side show attraction.  He attempts to quash his demons by escaping into the bottle.

He gets hired on by the Japanese emperor to train and equip his people to suppress a rebellion by samurai.

He ends up in battle with his ill prepared troops against the samurai.  He fights ferociously despite losing.  He is captured by the samurai and this becomes the central point of the movie.

This movie, feels quite Japanese, but with western touches.  It never gets over the top or stereotypical.  
The 2:40 min or so goes by quickly, as it hold your attention with fine character performances all around.  There are some violent and large battle scenes, not far removed from Braveheart.  There are similar tactics used, like flanking and last minute deception.

I think it portrays 1877 Japan with dignity, and a high degree of realism. I think this movie will play well in Japan.  I think Akira Kurosawa would have enjoyed this one.

I think this is an excellent epic, and two thumbs up!  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2004, 11:12 pm »
I liked the movie all the way up to the very end on the battlefield.  Spoiler below.
The movie would have been much more powerful if they had both died at the end.

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2004, 02:00 am »
just came from the cinema after watching this movie...this movie was so enjoyable and never boring...

i give it 5 stars out of 5 stars!!!

IanATC

end battle
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2004, 09:48 am »
Quote from: Tyson
I liked the movie all the way up to the very end on the battlefield.  Spoiler below.
The movie would have been much more powerful if they had both died at the end.

Yes, that was a "western"  touch.  In an Kurosawa film, they'd have died in glory and honour.

KKM

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2004, 05:32 pm »
I saw the movie yesterday and agree its a very enjoyable movie. I didn't hear who sent the team of assasins to attack the village, could someone explain, thanks.

dogberry

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2004, 07:34 pm »
I figured that it was Omura who sent them.  He is the only one who would behave like that.  I've seen it twice and I give it 5/5 for sure.  I'll be buying it the day it comes out, too!

bob82274

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2004, 02:31 am »
I was expecting it to suck when I went in and was pleasently surprised.  I didn't think Cruise had the chops to pull this part off.  For me (and this kind of surprised me) I enjoyed his learning process far more than the battle scenes.  Can't say that I would give it 5/5 but I thought it was very good and have reccommended it to others.  It will depend on how cheap it is when it comes out on if I will buy it.