7BSST2 w/Shot gun speaker cable

ChrisBo

7BSST2 w/Shot gun speaker cable
« on: 2 Sep 2009, 02:36 am »
Hey Guy's, is anyone out there using a bi wire shot gun speaker cable set up? A local dealer has recomended this configuration stating that it will slightly firm up the bass response and define the detail in the mids and highs ... by no means is he claiming a night and day change.

The proposed set up includes one pair of single lead cables for each amp/speaker.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thank You

Mad Mr H

Re: 7BSST2 w/Shot gun speaker cable
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2009, 08:51 am »
Bi Wire of speakers is for me a very useful mid step towards Bi Amping a system (Passive or Active)

It means that a Bi Wire speaker cable can be used if you change the system to Bi Amp at a later stage and so is money well spent.

JUST to consider bi wire and know that you are never going to bi amp may need more consideration.

I would look at the cost of the bi wire cable you are considering and see what better single runstandard 2 core speaker cable is available in the same price range - or more if you can afford.

Each system is different, so where to spend money is always personal.

Maybe better interconnects would suit you rather than bi wire cables.

I just think that Bi Wire needs some careful consideration, IF you have a good run of speaker cable already then maybe use another single run of thicker gauge for the bass instead of total new bi wire. This all very much depends on what budget you have and what you are looking fr in your system.

A change in interconnects will show more change in a system than speaker cables. You may already be happy with yours.

I always use the word "Change" not improve as what I think is great may not be the same as what you think.....

Hope that is at least food for thought for you.

Andy.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2009, 05:18 pm by Mad Mr H »

Mad Mr H

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2009, 08:56 am »
PS - You might consider longer signal cables to your amps and move the amps next to the speakers, use short as possible speaker cables - Again you may already have this style of setup.

A picture of your system might help us understand more of what is possible.

I am not saying "Dont buy Bi Wire" just that maybe a bigger picture needs to be under consideration.........

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2009, 11:43 am »
Hi Andy,
what do you mean by single cable, because in some cases this is a single ware not a pair of wires regardless their physical configuration. Van der Hul have some, but in lot of articles I have read that single lead should be avoided.
I personally run a set of three parallel cable from the amplifier to the speakers for bass, mid and treble.
Daniel

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2009, 01:38 pm »

If you are talking about 2 into 4, these are the cables that I use. I do not know if you can really hear a difference when you bi-wire. I only went this route because these cables were used in my system when I had my demo. I was very happy with the quality of the audio and I did not want any surprises after the purchase - actually, I did have a surprise, the system sounded a lot better when I got it home.

I do not have anything to compare these cables to as these are all I have "heard" - "google" Argentum Acoustics for further information.

Hope this helps a little.

Be well...

Mad Mr H

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2009, 05:21 pm »
Hi Andy,
what do you mean by single cable. I personally run a set of three parallel cable from the amplifier to the speakers for bass, mid and treble.
Daniel

I have edited post 2 for better clarity  :thumb:

Your 3 cables are "Tri Wire" format.

Andy

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2009, 05:32 pm »
Hi Andy,
yes it is "tri-wire" format
Daniel

ChrisBo

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2009, 10:51 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone. I placed my order today for two pairs of Van Den Hul Revelation speaker cables to complete the shot gun set up! I should have them at some point next week so I will write a follow up post once everything is hooked up.

Laundrew I have the same JBL 1400's in my room aswell ... I'm glad to see another member with a similar set up.

Thanks

Laundrew

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2009, 03:10 am »

Laundrew I have the same JBL 1400's in my room aswell ... I'm glad to see another member with a similar set up.

Thanks

:thumb:

werd

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:15 am »
Hello folks

Nothing wrong with bi-wiring. but with Bryston(any power amp model) you should get the amp first before moving on expensive speak cable. About the only gripe i have with bryston amps are the small terminal attach you get with spades. I can see how some spades might not fit the amp out terminal. This would probably be more applicable with bi-wired speak cable,  especially those  that are shotgunned at the amp end.

ChrisBo

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:16 am »
Hello folks

Nothing wrong with bi-wiring. but with Bryston(any power amp model) you should get the amp first before moving on expensive speak cable. About the only gripe i have with bryston amps are the small terminal attach you get with spades. I can see how some spades might not fit the amp out terminal. This would probably be more applicable with bi-wired speak cable,  especially those  that are shotgunned at the amp end.

Hey Werd, thanks for the tip. I purchased the cables for the amp with a spade and banana combination to avoid any fitment issues. At least I hope.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2009, 08:25 am »
Also a shame again the terminal output..........

You can only install the spade from above not below the amp. For a single amp on a hi fi shelf this is a good idea, However gravity wants the cable to go towards the floor so the ability to install he spade from the lower side of the connctor would be a great advantage.

The newer output connectors of SST series allowed larger spade connectors but still only one. the ST series I had trouble fitting WBT spades as they are very deep, so I had to change all my cables to WBT0645 stacking banana plugs, thay also allow the cable to flow towards the ground and so make it easy for cable management  :wink: .

Chris Bo - It would have been more help to tell us the equipment you had, the JBL's are worth going Bi Wire, Then there is the question of silver cable for the Mid and/or HF..........

Two pairs will have you ready to go passive bi amp in the future  :D

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2009, 08:28 pm »
I plan on going to bi-wiring. I am single wiring with bare wire at the present time. So, I'm gonna go with bananas for the second set of cables.

SF

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:05 am »
Hi ChrisBo;

Well, you know that the science behind biwiring is questionable, and although I did not hear a difference, I ended up leaving the biwire in place.

I understand that having the two cable sets run seperately maximizes the benefit of a biwire setup. That is, shot-gun biwire is better than biwire along (and it does not cost anything) so keep that in mind.

Finally, I found that amalgamating into one banana plug at the amp end (you will need to open the wire, splice, and protect from oxygen by tight plastic tube sheet), provided the neatest solution. That means, if you have 2 9Gau wires, that you will have a 6Gau combined wire going to the amp post in one plug

Have fun.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:44 am »
I think a good reason why biwire sounds better is the removal of shorting straps. Those things color the sound.

ChrisBo

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:54 pm »
Hey Guy's, I got my cables today!!! Although, when I switched the amp to the balanced setting on the left channel I get a loud buzzing and no sound. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips they could offer?

Thanks in advance.

jethro

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2009, 01:43 pm »
Hey Guy's, I got my cables today!!! Although, when I switched the amp to the balanced setting on the left channel I get a loud buzzing and no sound. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips they could offer?

Thanks in advance.

Chrisbo,

Do your new cables work ok in un-balanced mode ?

ChrisBo

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:09 am »
Hello Jethro, yes everything seems to be working fine in single ended mode. Only when I switch one of the 7B's to balanced do I get the buzzing.

It looks like it might have to go in for service. I sent a note to James T and Mike P at Bryston for some assistence.

Thanks.

Laundrew

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:29 pm »
Hello Jethro, yes everything seems to be working fine in single ended mode. Only when I switch one of the 7B's to balanced do I get the buzzing.

It looks like it might have to go in for service. I sent a note to James T and Mike P at Bryston for some assistence.

Thanks.

Please keep us posted :D