VMPS Tower IIs? Possible new owner

Venkman

VMPS Tower IIs? Possible new owner
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 07:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help in possibly picking up some older VMPS speakers.
They are some version of the Tower II I believe.  I am only going off  pictures, which I attached.  Looks like they have a 12" active woofer,  and I am assuming another 12" passive woofer underneath, a 10" woofer, two paper mid tweeters, two smaller tweeters and a super tweeter.  I can't tell if there is a super tweeter on top as well...

Can someone give me some more info on these speakers?   Wattage ratings, approximate manufacture date, MSRP, any thoughts on sound quality or a good price range used?
Any help would certainly be appreciated.  Everything I have read seams like it would fit my style of music.  Mostly Rock, but I also love jazz and blues. 

Again, thanks much!

Venkman

John Casler

Re: VMPS Tower IIs? Possible new owner
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 08:06 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help in possibly picking up some older VMPS speakers.
They are some version of the Tower II I believe.  I am only going off  pictures, which I attached.  Looks like they have a 12" active woofer,  and I am assuming another 12" passive woofer underneath, a 10" woofer, two paper mid tweeters, two smaller tweeters and a super tweeter.  I can't tell if there is a super tweeter on top as well...

Can someone give me some more info on these speakers?   Wattage ratings, approximate manufacture date, MSRP, any thoughts on sound quality or a good price range used?
Any help would certainly be appreciated.  Everything I have read seams like it would fit my style of music.  Mostly Rock, but I also love jazz and blues. 

Again, thanks much!

Venkman

GOOD FIND!!

However, I don't think these are Tower II's but one of the incarnations of the Super Towers.

They have the same BASS drivers as thr LARGER sub (a 12" and 15" active, and 15" Passive Radiator)

Here is another version of the SUPER Tower R/SE

And another (corrected to TOWER II)

And another (SUPER TOWER IIar)

Since these were before my time, Brian can correct the designation code if it is off.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2009, 09:37 pm by John Casler »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 09:01 pm »
The pencil drawing is of the standard Tower II.

The OP's picture is of the original Super Tower/R, vintage around 1992.  The round corner, veneered front speaker John Casler shows is a STR/SE from 1995 or so.

You will likely have to replace the 15"PR and 15" active due to foam rot.  Modern equivalents/upgrades are available.

Venkman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 11:53 pm »
Thank you for the quick replies, you guys are on the ball.

You mentioned replacing the 15" woofers due to foam rot.   I have refoamed a few speakers myself in the past, would this suffice, or would you still recommend replacing them?   

I can get the speakers for $300.00, but I'm a young guy and certainly don't have hundreds more to throw at them, she insists they sound great.  Guess i'm just thinking out loud here.  No way to tell until I can listen to them.

I have a listening room that measures approximately 14' X 24' is this room going to be big enough for these speakers?

Thank You again for your help.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:33 am »
Refoam kits are about $30, worth a try.  Your room size is fine.

While the modern drivers are clearly superior, if your budget is tight you can trying refoaming the old ones.

B

audiochef

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:18 pm »
Venkman, I love the sound of those classic VMPSs, and I'm sure you will too. The warmth and detail in the bass are second to none. Now you got me thinking of picking up a pair of my friends original tower 11s. The very speaker which got me hooked on VMPSs. Enjoy!!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:49 pm »
based upon my experience hearing a pair of st-lll's a long time ago, i cannot imagine getting more well-rounded full-range sound for anywhere near this price!  this is a lot of music for $300.

doug s.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:54 pm »
based upon my experience hearing a pair of st-lll's a long time ago, i cannot imagine getting more well-rounded full-range sound for anywhere near this price!  this is a lot of music for $300.

doug s.

No doubt.

Even if they end up in the GYM or the GARAGE, Basement or Game room, that is a lot of speaker and legacy for $300.

They also make KILLER surrounds aa for HT if you have the space.

Venkman

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2009, 05:49 am »
After a trip into the Colorado mountains and a near divorce from my wife, I picked up the speakers.  First of all, thanks for the input from everyone. 

Unfortunately the pictures look better than the real thing, they are in pretty rough shape.  I will probably have to refoam the 12's, both 15's on each side and try to pull the dust covers out on a 12", 15" and 5" (which was not much of a surprise).  Also, the veneer is rough everywhere, but completely chipped off in some places.  I'm not sure if I should completely redo the veneer, or try to run a salvage operation.  I'll post pics soon.

I bought them from a friendly lady whom had quite a bit of VMPS gear, apparently from her ex.  These super towers were sitting in the corner of her apt, much too large to have hooked up permanently.  We hooked them up to her Marantz receiver so's I could have a listen.  While I couldn't turn them up much due to her neighbors, they seemed to sound OK. 

I made the offer and with a giant bear hug around the monsters and some help from my wife,  we got them down the stairs and loaded into my truck. At this point, the realization of my age and physical condition became dreadfully evident.   I know this isn't necessary to say on this forum, but these speakers are F'n heavy

I eventually got them home, unloaded them into the garage and decided to hook them up to my old Sony receiver, just so I could check them out a bit more.  The "100 watt per channel" Sony was not even close to being up to the task of driving them.  I actually thought the x-overs must have been mis-wired. They sounded horrible and I was bummed.  I decided what the hell and hooked up my H/K 254, rated at 65 watts per channel and they came alive.  They are leaking like crazy from the 12's but sound much, much better than they did with the Sony.  I realize that I need more power for these speakers to really shine, I'm in the market for a good two channel amp, (any suggestions are welcome.)

Sorry for the long winded message.  Any suggestions on where to get the foams for these?  When my wife forgives me for launching an all out VMPS assault on the basement, I'd like to upgrade to the newer 15" drivers and passives.  Where do I get pricing for those?  Tomorrow I plan on getting some fresh fabric for the covers and re-doing them.  I'd also like to get foams ordered up soon.

I really enjoy bringing good equipment back from the dead.  I'm hoping with a little help and luck, I can have these sounding like they should.

Thanks!
Venk!

BTW, I may have the best wife on earth.  She put up with my venture into the mountains on our vacation and let me fill the basement with even larger speakers.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2009, 06:21 pm »
New 15" PR's are $52ea.  New 15" actives (diecast frames, butyl surrounds, 4 layer VC's, 75oz magnets) are $115ea.  New 12" actives (identical to the old ones but with a phase plug ) are $65ea.  Prices plus shipping.

We also have upgraded mids ($45ea) and softdomes ($55ea) and ribbon tweeters ($55ea).  All highly worthwhile.

Venkman

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:55 pm »
Thanks for the info Brian.  I imagine I will try the refoam for now and probably replace them as I can, starting with the 15" PR and Actives.   

Here are some pics I took, I'm thinking I will re-veneer the tops and try to salvage the sides. 

Does anyone have any advice on the re-foam kits?  Are the generic 12" and 15" kits from parts express a good match?

Thanks!

Brian Cheney

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:44 pm »
We bought cone stock with surrounds attached, so I can't tell you what grade of foam surround to purchase.  Refoaming is fairly easy on PR's and difficult on actives. If the suspensions have collapsed, refoaming won't help.  The partsexpress kits are a good, inexpensive way to start.

Venkman

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:26 pm »
Brian,

I am well aware that you probably have much better things to do than troubleshoot speakers that you sold almost 20 years ago.   I really appreciate your help. 
I just wanted to know if there is an easy way to determine if woofers have collapsed as you say?  I'm pretty ignorant here.

Also, I'm trying to determine if these are a kit or assembled at your factory.  The back of the speakers look like this...The serial number portion is, of course, missing :(, but the numbers 7545 are stamped on the other speaker.  Is that possibly the serial number, or is there any other way to tell?

Thanks much!
Bryan

flintstone

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:08 pm »
I have owned a pair for years (1997). I still use them along with a bunch of other VMPS speakers/subs in my hometheater. Good luck with the rebuild  :thumb:

Dave

Brian Cheney

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:20 pm »
Those are factory assembled.

I answer questions on classic VMPS speakers every day.  It is gratifying that almost all of them are still in service, some after 30 years. We stock parts for every speaker we have made back to 1977.

Brax

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:05 am »
There are a pair of Supertower IIar's for sale on Audiogon. The are being auctioned and are priced at $300 with no bids, ends Sunday. Seller is in San Diego.

The woofers look in bad shape but if they were closer to Wisconsin, I'd pick them up and rebuild them. With Brian stocking all the parts and some upgraded drivers, these would be KILLER spreakers.

ST86

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2009, 04:40 pm »
I own a pair of Supertower/Rs from 1986 (where my username came from).  Used SimplySpeakers for my refoam projects.  They were pleasant to deal with and seemed familiar with VMPS products. www.simplyspeakers.com

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2009, 07:15 pm »
You may find it a good idea to "vitrify" your Passive Radiator.

All Brian's PRs he sends out as replacements and in built speakers are vitrified.

This is a process where you remove the PR, and paint a thin coat of Elmer's glue on both the top and bottom surfaces of the paper cone.

This then stiffens and strengthens the PR and cause a cleaner, crisper Low Bass.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2009, 09:57 pm »
Be careful to use only the yellow Elmer's carpenter's glue, and keep it away from surround and spider.

At the factory the cone is vitrified before driver assembly to avoid drips and contamination.

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2009, 10:26 pm »