A series of record reviews from my recent purchases.

Wayner

I have recently purchased some new vinyl and feel compelled to offer a limited, but straight forward review of the pressings, and perhaps a small comment or 2 on the music itself.

First up is The Cars on the self titled album on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, serial number 000272, is a half speed master and features the "Gain 2" technology.

This album was originally released in 1978 featuring Ric Ocasek, Benjamin Orr, David Robinson, Elliot Easton and Greg Hawks.

It features such great hits as "My Best Friend's Girl", "Good Times Roll" and the song from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High", "Moving in Stereo", which is one hot scene.

The album artwork is the  usual quality for MOFI, featuring very heavy gatefolded cover and a MOFI inner sleeve along with some more new releases by MOFi

The album is 180 grams, features a black label and was manufactured by Rhino Records who I think is owned by Electra Records.

Apon opening the record, I noticed several big greasy finger prints and some light surface scratches. However, the finger prints did clean up with my D4 brush and some of my special record cleaning fluid. Perhaps MOFI needs to talk to press operators about handling my album. I'd like it right out of the wrapper less the finger prints.

The recording: I feel the MOFI version is somewhat "darker" then my original pressing and that the high end sounds slightly subdued, although "scratchier" sounding then my original version. I also noticed static in the beginning of the first cut but the same static is present on my original version and can only conclude that it is on the original master tape.

The Music: It's the Cars, It's great!

Rating: I give it 8.5 out of 10. I'm glad I have it in my collection and it's nice to have a clean version.

Wayner
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2009, 08:33 pm by Wayner »

Wayner

Re: A series of record reviews from my recent purchases.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 07:02 pm »
Yes - 90125

This is a new release by Friday Music on 180 gram vinyl. It features the original Cover art, and includes a liner note for lyrics and other band information. The record came in a vinyl lined paper sleeve.

The album is mastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music.

Yes is: Jon Anderson (vocals), Chris Squire (bass), Trevor Rabin (Guitar and vocals), Alan White (Vocals and drums), and Tony Kaye (vocals and keyboards). This is the album that set records at Madison Square Garden for most consecutive sell-outs for it's time, tho I'm sure the record has since been broken.

The album was in perfect condition out of the sleeve, with slight vinyl excess at the spindle hole, but was no problem loading the LP onto my turntable.

At first listen: I said holy crap is this good! Better then the original (IMHO) with more gain and lots more ambiance within the recording.

Very quiet between selections.

Rating: I give this album a 9 out of 10 for overall quality and recording. It is a must have for any Yes fan collection. Again, nice to have a scratch-free clean copy that is as good if not better then the original release.

I understand that Friday Music is doing the entire Yes library and I hope they continue in this direction. Please re-do the Yes Album (I understand they have re-done Close to the Edge and is to be re-released soon).

Wayner  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2009, 08:34 pm by Wayner »

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 07:53 pm »
Van Halen - self titled.

Original release date: 1978.

Band members: Eddy Van Halen (guitar), Michael Anthony (Bass), Alex Van Halen (drums), David Roth (vocals).

Vinyl is 180 gram. Artwork is identical to original album.

Record was slightly warped, horrible (tuff) vinyl sleeve (discarded for a MOFI sleeve), however, warp is not noticable. I do wonder how the hell you warp a 180 gram LP, tho.

Included lyrics sheet. Made by Warner Brothers records.

Frankly, this, except for the LP weight is identical to the original as I can tell in sound and every other way.

If you liked the original, this is it, only heavier vinyl. I think Warner Brothers just went down to the vault and loaded it into their presses and started making them. Very clean.

Rating: Considering it's closeness to the original, I have to give it a 9.5 out of 10, only because of the warp. Again, let's concentrate on quality control if your going to print LPs. Otherwise, I think it's a great repo.

(Also a concentric pressing).

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 08:48 pm »
Genesis - Foxtrot (reviewed out of order) from the box set Genesis - 1970 thru 1975.

This is the ablum I discovered as a kid, bought it cause the cover was cool. I always thought the orignal was recorded way too low in volume, but this version is fantastic! I'm not going to say much more, but if the rest of the 5 albums is like this, I will give it a 100 out of 10.

Good job Rhino Records! They have been given some stink lately, but I think (so far) this is a great project.

Album: 180 gram. Artwork as the original.

Band members: Tony Banks, Steve Hackett, Richard Macphail, Phil Collins, Peter Gabrial and Micheal Rutherford, orignally released on the Famous Charisma Label.

W

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 11:11 pm »
I will do a better review of the box set by Genesis (1970-1975), but I will tell you right now, if you are a fan, go and buy it now before it's gone. Every album is way better then the original in every way shape and form. It's the most pleasant afternoon I have ever spent listening to vinyl.

Every album sounds way better then the original, they have done well recording this.

Selling England By The Pound is like I never heard it. I'm just lost for words.

W

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:16 am »
Wow! Cool commentary. What's really amazing is (I think) every record is from a different company and not one is from classicrecords!

For my old favorites, I've been going the "other" way recently. I've been buying a lot of used stuff. Looking at the dead wax (it's hard to become a true aficionado, there are so many nuances and facts to know). Recently listened to a "two eye" red label Columbia Dylan Nashville Skyline and am really happy with the sound.

Another thing that surprises me is how well a lot of other's people vinyl cleans up and plays. I have a Loricraft cleaner and use hospital enzyme (anybody interested in some?) first, followed by L'art du Son (until it runs out and I use some VPI stuff), followed by reverse osmosis rinse. Complicated but effective. Even have the kids doing it! They even have their friends doing it for them, like a Sawyerian white-wash fence.

But I digress. Some of the used stuff is more quiet than my own! I recently bought another The Yes Album (my fav Yes, Wayner) and it is dead quiet and wonderful. I previously posted how I had to give my brand new Rhino version to my daughter and take back my well-worn original copy as the Rhino had no soul, no presence, lifeless.

Recent purchases where I replaced an album I already have: I bought the Steve Hoffman remastered Van Morrison Moondance and it is very, very good.

Anyway, keep posting! I'm loving it.

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2009, 11:33 am »
The only reason I bought these new was for clean copies. It was an added bonus that the Genesis sounded so fantastic. I'll finish the Lamb this afternoon, then I have the David Gilmour album, Live at Gdansk.

Wayner  aa

kenreau

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2009, 04:22 pm »
... I have a Loricraft cleaner and use hospital enzyme (anybody interested in some?) first, followed by L'art du Son (until it runs out and I use some VPI stuff), followed by reverse osmosis rinse. Complicated but effective. ...

Paul

I don't desire to hijack this thread as I was really enjoying Wayner's reviews.  Kudos to Wayner.  I just bought the Van Halen S/T LP (RTI pressing) during some back to school shopping and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  I had read good reviews/reports that Steve Hoffman/Kevin Grey had really done a fantastic job with this reissue.

Paul - I am interested in learning more about your enzyme recipe please.  I just bought a refill bottle of Lloyd Walkers Active Enzyme Cleaner to try out but there was no mixing / ratio instructions.  They are a dry white crystalline form that looks similar to dry laundry soap crystals.  I have been using just distilled water from the supermarket but wondered if it is worthwhile to source some RO or DI water someplace?

We can continue this cleaning topic on the Vinyl Forum Cleaning Secrets thread if desired.

Thx
Ken
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2009, 05:27 pm by kenreau »

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2009, 06:59 pm »
Ken,

Cleaning fluid is all about playing records and that is what this thread is about. Maybe Paul can share a recipe or two!

Wayner  aa

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2009, 08:02 pm »
I'm finally finishing up the box set today, listening to Trespass and now, just finishing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. 2 songs actually sent shivers  up and down my spine. That would be "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" and "Carpet Crawlers". Throughout the entire collection, I amazed at the sonic integrity of the music. Cymbal crashes are as they sound in real live, the reverb goes deep and the overall texture of every selection has a more involved sonic presence then any of the original releases. This is simply the best re-issue set I've ever heard, period! Apparently, Nick Davis (remixing engineer) knows his trade very well and should do all of the old rock classics. The Lamb is a scary album and with it's new revealing sonics, would be a great late night adventure.

Again, 10 out of 10 for everything, artwork, quality, packaging and of course, the music! Getting the set for the Lamb is worth it by itself.

Wayner  8)

PS -  Tomorrow I will try to start David Gilmour's 5 LP box set, Live at Gdansk.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:13 am »
 :D good stuff indeed Wayner.i got David Gilmour's the box set a few weeks ago and have yet to open.just today on your recommend i flanged up the Genesis box set.hope it's good. :D  both vinyl to be sure. :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:21 am »
Ken,

Cleaning fluid is all about playing records and that is what this thread is about. Maybe Paul can share a recipe or two!

Wayner  aa

OK, I'll start a new thread: "Endozyme"

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2009, 11:41 am »
Paul, you miss understood my comment. That was that you could use this thread (I don't mind ) to talk about your cleaner. But Ok that you started another one.

Wayner  :D

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:10 pm »
Finally: David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk.

Here is a link to the play list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_Gda%C5%84sk

I'm kind of lost for words on this one. First, my copy has some issues. While the box set is in great shape, the inner sleeves look like they were at the concert (maybe on the ground). All but the first album sleeve has wear marks and sputterings of something, almost looking dirty like a used album. I guess when you spend over $100 on a boxed set, the damn thing should be damn near perfect right out of the box. This box set was done by Columbia Records, and I have less then love for this label in the first place. IMHO, they have history of putting some real junk on the market, poor sound and questionable quality control.

Thru the 5 LP set, there are lots of "re-runs" like Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Echoes (2 versions), Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, On The Turning Away, 2 versions of The Blue.

So lots of music just sounds more like Pink Floyd rather then David. Richard Wright also appears with him.

The set is not the best "live" recording that I have, sometimes seemingly lack-luster and having no depth to the recording at all. This may be the result of being recorded outside, having nothing for soundwaves to bounce off of. The performance is fine as I would expect from Gilmour, but I was sure hoping for more Gilmour stuff. He  has several LPs out there and I thought that would have been a better tour source then some old Pink Floyd.

Am I dissapointed? A little. While it's kind of fun to have a live version of On An Island, I have On An Island as well as all the other Floyd tunes. I'm thinking if I knew then what I know now, I may not have purchased it. I just thought it was going to be a bigger deal. While the sound of the set is good, it's just not what I was expecting.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:40 pm »
Paul, you miss understood my comment. That was that you could use this thread (I don't mind ) to talk about your cleaner. But Ok that you started another one.

No misunderstanding between you and me possible, Wayner. I thought if there's interest in the Endozime, it would do better in its own thread anyway.

BTW, the Live Gdansk collection reads more like a 5 or 6 rating! Maybe Endozime can take the footprints off!!! :P

Also, I love Yes and King Crimson and Tull. But somehow Genesis leaves me cold and I know it's good stuff and I ought to love it. About the closest I get is Tony Banks leaving Yes to go to Genesis.

I feel like I need therapy because you sound like you're having so much fun listening to this stuff and I'm out in self-imposed exile. One of my big problems is I just can't warm up to Phil Collins. I liked when South Park made fun of him!

Is there any hope for me? Maybe I could start with a non-Collins dominated disc...

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:21 pm »
Peter Gabrial is the lead singer in almost all of these early albums. I really don't like Phil Collins either, tho I like 'A Trick of the Tale and Wind and Wurthering albums. Anything after that just went too pop for me.

orthobiz

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:00 am »
About the closest I get is Tony Banks leaving Yes to go to Genesis.

Paul

Banks, Kaye, hey a Tony is a Tony, right?
Thanks for not making fun of me guys (an eagle eye AC'er gently corrected me in a PM)

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:00 pm »
Your good!