First DIY speaker steps

nocrapman

First DIY speaker steps
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:48 pm »
OK I have been waiting to do this for a while.
I have been woodworking for about a year building small furniture pieces and such.
Over the last few months, I have been looking for speakers and what I have found during my auditions is that there isnt a perfect speaker, out there for me. Each one presents some compromises. While I may still buy a floor stander for the time being, I want to see if I can get closer to the sound/build by going DIY.
Except I dont know where to start.
I have been looking at Danny website thru various references over the last 2-3 years. And some of the pics there are very tantalizing...

Where might be a good place to start my DIY adventures?
Any pointers are appreciated.
Thanks much in advance!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: First DIY speaker steps
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  There will be lots of advice to help you get started. But first a few questions....How big is your room, how big is your amp, how big is your budget?  What tool do you have?  What are your goals for your speakers- what compromises will you accept?

Scott

nocrapman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:01 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  There will be lots of advice to help you get started. But first a few questions....How big is your room, how big is your amp, how big is your budget?  What tool do you have?  What are your goals for your speakers- what compromises will you accept?

Scott

Hi Scott,
  Thanks for the welcome. I didnt realise that this my first post. Must have been lurking around too long!
The first room is a bedroom 15x20'. Currently running a Primaluna Tube amp @35wpc but will be getting a beefier amp very shortly..
The second is my living room with huge ceilings that 12 feet high. The room measures 20x30 feet.
I wanted to start with a simple speakers... maybe a 2-way monitor. Or a MTM floor stander, which might be more complicated.
Budget: Will be purchasing things gradually if needed, but initially wood not like to go over $1000.
Sound: I like sound that is detailed but not too bright. As a reference, B&W 804Ds and PSB syncrony series... sounded pretty good. Most metallic dome tweeters tire me out! I hope thats helpful.
Tools I already have: Table saw/Jointer-Planer/Router/Jigsaw/Drill/Circular saw/and various smaller tools/clamps and sanders.
Do I need anything in specific as far as tools go?
I need a soldering unit, and I have no experience with that! Unless the crossover boards come already prepped? I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BRC2XU/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
Please feel free to ask any other questions.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:11 pm »
I've used this soldering station for 5-6 years with good results and you can save $40... http://webtronics.stores.yahoo.net/cispdeesdsas.html
I don't know about this one, but the reviews seem good and the price  :o
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100
Also, a variation on a circle jig is a must.  This one is popular... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-250

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 05:06 pm »
Are you interested in Single Driver designs?

nocrapman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm »
  I havent heard one. But at this point, I am open to everything.
I would like to build my way up the chain rather than making it too ambitious.

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:12 pm »

Planet10-hifi is a good source of information, plans and links if you are interested.

I've been quite occupied with different SD designs and in whole honesty I can say that it was fun journey so far. These designs are quite simple, without crossovers and drivers matching dilemma.
With basic tools (seems like you are pretty much covered) it should be easy to find design which will suit your needs. Simple Open Baffle project might also interest you.

From SD horn designs, I personally like Sachiko horns with Planet10 modified FE206E Fostex drivers

Box + drivers will be under your budget.

As to simple OB system, my favorite would have to be:
Audio Nirvana 15" full range drivers (on sell for $318 + free plans) and GR OB subwoofer system (a bit pricey but it might be worth it of stretching your budget a bit).

There are others but these are my favorite examples.

If cosmetics are an issue you can use AN 15" drivers, add super-tweeter in enclosure like this:

Top mounted super-tweeter with attenuator option

Mariusz :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm »
I'd suggest a N3 plus some upgrades and a servo sub.  That puts you in under your $1k limit, provides super sound and enough of, and leaves you a few bucks for a set of cables.  Your amp would provide plenty of power for your space.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:55 pm »
The N3 would be a very good choice. It has the higher 91db sensitivity and easy to drive 8 ohm impedance that your amp will really like.

I can't say that I would recommend the full range driver options. None have impressed me at all so far. I do have some FR125's that sound pretty nice, but even my A/V-1 puts them to shame.

I have tried the 12" Audio Nirvana as well, but the response was all over the place (I have measurements). I had to design a complex corrective circuit to listen to it as its response was a rising one towards the top end.

Also, adding a front firing super tweeter will cause, at minimum, a 20db swing in the response due to its cancellation and coupling effects. Not recommended.

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2009, 08:26 pm »
I would have to get one of those A/V-1s and give it a listen.
Your products surely represent great value Danny.

As to SD likes and dislikes - we all have those towards different approaches in audio reproduction.
Me - simpler is better. Even if it makes me scratch the heck out of my mohawk. :wink:

Cacophonix

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2009, 10:34 pm »
Go with N3. Its an easy build, and if you need more bass, add danny's servo sub. You'll still end up under $1k.

nocrapman

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm »
I'd suggest a N3 plus some upgrades and a servo sub.  That puts you in under your $1k limit, provides super sound and enough of, and leaves you a few bucks for a set of cables.  Your amp would provide plenty of power for your space.

What upgrades did you have in mind on the N3?
How complex is the electronic assembly?

Ron

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2009, 11:37 pm »
I recently purchased the Stahl Tools STSSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station, SKU No. 374-100, for $14.98 from Parts Express. It is  an excellent product at a bargin price. I highly recommend it.

Ron

nocrapman

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:23 am »

Planet10-hifi is a good source of information, plans and links if you are interested.

I've been quite occupied with different SD designs and in whole honesty I can say that it was fun journey so far. These designs are quite simple, without crossovers and drivers matching dilemma.
With basic tools (seems like you are pretty much covered) it should be easy to find design which will suit your needs. Simple Open Baffle project might also interest you.

From SD horn designs, I personally like Sachiko horns with Planet10 modified FE206E Fostex drivers

Box + drivers will be under your budget.

As to simple OB system, my favorite would have to be:
Audio Nirvana 15" full range drivers (on sell for $318 + free plans) and GR OB subwoofer system (a bit pricey but it might be worth it of stretching your budget a bit).

I am quite intrigued by the designs I saw on Planet10 and very impressed with the design and simplicity involved. I might try my hand at this anyway at some point. What might be a simple one to start off with?

nocrapman

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:32 am »
I recently purchased the Stahl Tools STSSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station, SKU No. 374-100, for $14.98 from Parts Express. It is  an excellent product at a bargin price. I highly recommend it.

Ron

Cool!
Is this a good solder wire to purchase? Should I go cheaper/thicker?
Also do I need these:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=374-102&scqty=1

Mariusz

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2009, 01:10 am »
I am quite intrigued by the designs I saw on Planet10 and very impressed with the design and simplicity involved. I might try my hand at this anyway at some point. What might be a simple one to start off with?
Bruce is pretty simple and sounds on par with Sachiko design using the same drivers.
plans click here

dvenardos

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2009, 01:18 am »
The N3 and OB servo sub are my next projects. I can say that from my experience with the AV-1RS that building the network is not difficult. You can also have skiing ninja build the networks for you at a very reasonable price.

What upgrades did you have in mind on the N3?
How complex is the electronic assembly?