Rockets not doing it

Danny Richie

Re: Rockets not doing it
« Reply #20 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:08 pm »
If you haven't already then try moving your bass management to the lowest setting.

If that doesn't do it then you can add a resistor or two more to bring it down even further if you amp can handle the 4 to 5 ohm load that it will see.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:12 pm »
...and yet the room that they were designed in is not really a huge room.  It is well treated, but really nothing extraordinary, bass traps and panels.  Interesting that you are having so many problems.  I'd take lots of pictures and send them to Danny for advice.

shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:27 pm »
I would most certainly consider room size with the LS6.

I honestly feel like you need a much bigger room then I currently have to get the most out of them.

My room is 13x19x8, and everyday I struggle convincing myself it sounds okay.

They do some things amazingly well like dynamics, but there are problems I have ever day becuase of how they are positioned in my room.

My midrange is totally chaos right now. There is an upper mid-range glaring, and the lower midrange gets swallowed up by the bass, so I lose a lot of vocal detail...

The room is treated, but obviously not enough or properly....

Its one big mess; but I hate to get rid of them because of the things they do well..

However, its a struggle to sit down and enjoy them the way it sounds now, and I am having a hard time fixing it...

I only share all this because I think the LSs might be better then the V-1s in a bigger room, but they are VERY room dependent.

If you want to get a feel for LS6 in a different room you are more than welcome to stop by.  I believe you are about 1hr away from Princeton, NJ.  The room in question is a unfinished basement with the speakers.  You can see the pictures and some of the comments from folks who heard the setup http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66238.0 and http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?t=38639&page=5.  Right now I only have the back panels up with no side panels but can put up the side panels in 10 minutes or so.

dvenardos

« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:48 pm »
Sounds like you need a switch kingdeezie. You shouldn't be fighting to enjoy your speakers now matter how great you know they could sound under the proper conditions. But you already know that, just trying to give you permission.  :wink:

Derrell

« Reply #24 on: 3 Sep 2009, 06:58 pm »
The new room will be 18" x 21". Will that be enough room for the ls6?  Can you order kits for three speakers?  Are they only sold in pairs?  What is the cost on the v-1's I have not seen them on the website. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 3 Sep 2009, 07:16 pm »
The new room will be 18" x 21". Will that be enough room for the ls6?

That would be great.

Can you order kits for three speakers?

You can order three of any of our kits. No problem.

What is the cost on the v-1's I have not seen them on the website.

I have been waiting to get cabinets from Eric so I can have some nice looking pics of the completed speaker for the web site. Kit cost is $1,995.

Derrell

« Reply #26 on: 3 Sep 2009, 07:40 pm »
What is the suggested spacing off the back wall?  Is it possible to use a line array in a horizontal position?  Would that create dispersion issues?  Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can't wait to get this renovation underway and get these speakers built.

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 3 Sep 2009, 07:57 pm »
What is the suggested spacing off the back wall?

I'd try to get the LS-6's as far out as possible and at least 2 feet off the wall plus treatment of the wall.

Is it possible to use a line array in a horizontal position?

Only if you are sitting right in front of it. Move to the left or right and the highs will fall away immediately.

Would that create dispersion issues?

As with any line array, you ear level must be kept within the length of the array, and not to near the ends either, or the response will no longer be accurate.

Derrell

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2009, 05:33 pm »
Do most people run the 6's full range in a theater setup?  If not what is the normal croosover setting?  What sub that gr-reasearch offers would be a good match?  Which speakers would be the best for surround duty? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm »
Do most people run the 6's full range in a theater setup?

I would.

What sub that gr-reasearch offers would be a good match?

The direct servo subs will be the best match, and I'd just have them set to cover from 35Hz and down.

Which speakers would be the best for surround duty? 

It really depends on the room more than anything.

shadowlight

« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:22 pm »
Do most people run the 6's full range in a theater setup? 

I run ls6 in full range and really do not miss much.

Which speakers would be the best for surround duty?

Since, you are planning to do the kit think about Danny's AV1RS on the wall omni's.  I plan to use x-omni's when I get around to purchasing it. 

dvenardos

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2009, 06:57 pm »
I seem to recall someone saying that the av-1rs didn't have the output to keep up with the ls.  :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 4 Sep 2009, 07:06 pm »
I seem to recall someone saying that the av-1rs didn't have the output to keep up with the ls.

They have 91db sensitivity just like the LS-6.

Jon Liu

« Reply #33 on: 4 Sep 2009, 09:11 pm »
I have 4 AV1-R/S running with my LS-9's and it never crossed my mind that they could not match output with the LS-9's.  They sure do lack the mid-lower range, but that ought to be a given judging by the single 5.25" as opposed to twelve 6.5" drivers.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #34 on: 4 Sep 2009, 10:05 pm »
Regarding the Ref 100 center, Danny designed a new network for it so if you stick with it, that would improve your front match...

King of all Orders, I'll take your 6's for use as surrounds :D

dvenardos

« Reply #35 on: 4 Sep 2009, 10:34 pm »
Maybe that is what I am remembering, someone wanted dual woofers in the av-1rs.

I have 4 AV1-R/S running with my LS-9's and it never crossed my mind that they could not match output with the LS-9's.  They sure do lack the mid-lower range, but that ought to be a given judging by the single 5.25" as opposed to twelve 6.5" drivers.

tmplafcan

« Reply #36 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:14 am »
What a great forum...makes me also want to upgrade!

I have the same situation of this thread, Rocket 850, big foot center, 400's back and Rocket 15" sub. Nice system but the music lacks, my 18yr old refurbished JBL LX 44's sound more musical...to me. All the chatter about LS and Venue makes me really want one but I am not very good with wood work. Maybe someday!

Two questions for the group:
1. If I go with the LS9 (saw the flat pack for sale) can you use the N2 or 3 for center? Sounded like Danny did not recommend LS6 as center.
2. I really like the looks of my Rockets, is there any way to upgrade? Can I replace the existing 5.25" woofers with Danny's M130? What about the tweeter?

I am working on what explanation to provide the wife when she sees the LS9, maybe she will not notice....lol!

Cheers

Derrell

« Reply #37 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:38 am »
Movies are enjoyable with my setup but a friend of mine bought a set of 20 year old pioneer monitors at a yard sale that sound better playing music.  I took the cd he was playing to my house and I was very disappointed.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #38 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:48 am »
What a great forum...makes me also want to upgrade!

I have the same situation of this thread, Rocket 850, big foot center, 400's back and Rocket 15" sub. Nice system but the music lacks, my 18yr old refurbished JBL LX 44's sound more musical...to me. All the chatter about LS and Venue makes me really want one but I am not very good with wood work. Maybe someday!

Two questions for the group:
1. If I go with the LS9 (saw the flat pack for sale) can you use the N2 or 3 for center? Sounded like Danny did not recommend LS6 as center.
2. I really like the looks of my Rockets, is there any way to upgrade? Can I replace the existing 5.25" woofers with Danny's M130? What about the tweeter?

I am working on what explanation to provide the wife when she sees the LS9, maybe she will not notice....lol!

Cheers

I wish Danny or another designer would come up with a driver/crossover upgrade for the Rockets. Something that is a "ready fit" so no routing of the cabinets would be necessary. There are many like me who love the cabinets, but are wanting something more than the Ninja crossover upgrade. I have RS1K's and want to improve everything, not just the network.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 5 Sep 2009, 03:59 am »
I wish Danny or another designer would come up with a driver/crossover upgrade for the Rockets. Something that is a "ready fit" so no routing of the cabinets would be necessary. There are many like me who love the cabinets, but are wanting something more than the Ninja crossover upgrade. I have RS1K's and want to improve everything, not just the network.

I am afraid that is the point to just start over. It is not easy to design the drivers around the cabinet. It is much easier to design the cabinet around the driver parameters.