Boat load of new LPs...................

Wayner

Boat load of new LPs...................
« on: 29 Aug 2009, 12:23 pm »
I've been in a vinyl slump and have decided to splurge. Here is the list, these are all new releases on 180 gram vinyl from various labels.

Van Halen - self titled
The Cars - self titled
David Gilmour - Live at Gdansk (5 LP set)
Yes - 90125
Genesis - 1970 - 1975 (6 LP set, including Nursery Crimes, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trespass)

Hope they sound as good as the originals.

Wayner  aa

orthobiz

Re: Boat load of new LPs...................
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2009, 08:44 pm »
No slump here, lately either!

Just got some LP's apparently never played. Part of a collection from a former worker at WLIR back in my homeland (Long Island). Put them on a shelf and kept them until his collection was bought out (unfortunately not by me).

Filling holes in my collection:
Fleetwood Mac
     Bare Trees (Only had a dub on my old reel to reel that I no longer have)
     Mystery To Me (My college copy is MISSING!! this is the third copy that I've bought and seems to have the least noisy grooves, but the dynamic range of all my copies is not what I remember from the 70's). This album is a total sleeper in their catalog, for me it's just about my favorite and I highly recommend it.

REM (never owned any vinyl and only Document on CD)
     Document
     Life's Rich Paageant
     Fables of the
     Green

Jethro Tull: two duplicates, will give the "cast offs" to the kids:
     Stand Up
     Benefit

Jethro Tull: I loved Tull through Thick Brick, saw the Passion Play concert tour (never had the album) and kinda hated War Child (even though I had a reel to reel dub). Ever dislike a group because you were so snobbish that you couldn't stand when they broke through and everybody and their grandmother were listening to them? That's how I felt with Bungle Jungle.

Bungle in the Jungle was an anomaly, definitely not the best they did, but as far as I remember, the first true breakthrough. My recollection is that Aqualung was an FM hit (and ALL the songs were played, not just Locomotive Breath and Cross-eyed Mary) and is an even bigger "hit" now with this classic rock thing. Gosh, why don't they ever dig deeper in the catalog for terrestrial radio? But I digress...

So, now that I am a true adult and less snobbish (yeah right), thought I'd like to extend my Tull catalog:
     Heavy Horses
     Minstrel In The Gallery
     Songs from the Wood

Not bad, eh Wayner?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:24 pm »
Fleetwood Mac Bare Trees is a cult classic, but I wonder how many school girls got f*cked by the classic "Future games"!

Good score for you!

W

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:32 pm »
Fleetwood Mac Bare Trees is a cult classic, but I wonder how many school girls got f*cked by the classic "Future games"!

Good score for you!

W

I have (had) Future Games but never tried to get lucky with it! Now Moondance, that was different story! That Gilmore Gdansk set looks Positively PLUSH!

Paul

guest48077

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:43 pm »
Just recently picked up Beastie boys - Ill communication 180 gram
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue (GREAT ALBUM) Standard blue Vinyl
Neil Young -  Live at Massy hall (180 Gram).

I had all of these in Digital Format but I NEEDED the Vinyl..... I cant help myself :?

mike1964

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:53 pm »
So, now that I am a true adult and less snobbish (yeah right), thought I'd like to extend my Tull catalog:
     Heavy Horses
     Minstrel In The Gallery
     Songs from the Wood

Paul
Coincidence:  Today just received an order of LPs that included Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood.  Just put on Songs from the Wood, and am impressed with the quality of the recording, particularly since I paid a whopping $4.99..

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:53 am »
Coincidence:  Today just received an order of LPs that included Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood.  Just put on Songs from the Wood, and am impressed with the quality of the recording, particularly since I paid a whopping $4.99..

I hope your Brick has the full newspaper cover and may the crossword puzzle inside NOT be filled out!

Paul

gary

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:13 am »
Those R.E.M. records are all fantastic, Life's Rich Pageant is probably my favorite album by them and I still don't have it on vinyl. Their new one, Accelerate, is great as well. It's amazing that after all these years they could put out an album with so much energy and it just plain rocks.

gary

orthobiz

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2009, 12:56 pm »
I agree about Accelerate. Seems like a few of the old guard have put out quality material recently (last three years). I'm thinking a bit older than REM but Buzzcocks, Ian Hunter, John Fogerty, Cheap Trick all have releases that show they "still have it."

Unfortunately, Accelerate is compressed and shows up on the Wikipedia page for Loudness Wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Also, a bunch of people on stevehoffman.tv list it as a terrible sounding album. Luckily I'm 99 percent vinyl at home so I listen to Accelerate in the car. That really helps in my own "tolerability war."

I listened to Document first. Think I'll try Life's Rich Pageant next. No loudness war on these vinyls!

Paul

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2009, 11:01 pm »
The Hoco Record Fair had a nice selection of new and used vinyl, this fair is a little smaller than the big one in November so I have to control my spending. Zia Records, Toxic Ranch and Stinkweeds all had new vinyl but with so much used available I splurged on only one new album this time:

Calexico - Feast of Wire (2003) for $16.99, a 2 record set with real nice sound quality but only standard weight so not as quiet as the 180 gram stuff.

The used albums ranged in price from $1 to $8.99 with most in the $3 - $5 range:

Getz/Gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (1963)
Paul Desmond - Desmond Blue (1962)
Oscar Peterson Trio with Milt Jackson - Very Tall (1962)
Pat Metheny - New Chautauqua (1979)
Chet Atkins and Les Paul - Chester and Lester (1976)
The Band - The Last Waltz (1978)
Cowboy Junkies - The Caution Horses (1990)
Dire Straits - Communique (1979)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Hard Promises (1981)
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - (1983)
J.J. Cale - Naturally (1971)

Wayne

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:50 am »

Chet Atkins and Les Paul - Chester and Lester (1976)

Wayne

It Had To Be You was my dear departed mom's favorite song. Chester and Lester give it new meaning in their heartfelt version. This is a great disk!

Paul

ricmon

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:20 pm »
I picked up a few new pieces myself all of really got quality too.

ERIC DOLPHY/OUT TO LUNCH 180g 45rpm 2LP
FRANK ZAPPA/HOT RATS 200g LP
BEN HARPER & RELENTLESS 7/WHITE LIES FOR DARK TIMES 2LP
and on back order
MICHAEL BRECKER/PILGRIMAGE 180g 2LP

Unfortunately I just moved and it will be a few weeks before I get my system reassembled :bawl:

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:40 pm »
I just picked up a mint (but used, new to me) album, Alan Parson's Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edger Allen Poe on Mobil Fidelity Sound Labs for $10. It sure looks brand new.

I also picked up Pat Traverse - Radio Active for $4. I'm  listening to that right now and it is very clean.

There are 2 brand new Jimi-Hendrix LPs on Capitol. I heard these are bad pressings, anybody know for sure, I think they were $20 each.

Wayner aa

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:52 pm »

Unfortunately I just moved and it will be a few weeks before I get my system reassembled :bawl:

1. Is the Zappa on that new Clarity vinyl?
2. Moving: moved my daughter into college last week and reminisced how the last thing to get packed was the stereo and the very first thing to hook up was...the stereo!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:56 pm »
That was always the way it was for me when I moved.

Also just found that my AP is has a serial number 7588.

Wayner  aa

orthobiz

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:57 pm »

There are 2 brand new Jimi-Hendrix LPs on Capitol. I heard these are bad pressings, anybody know for sure, I think they were $20 each.

Wayner aa

I tried to check this out but stevehoffman.tv is down. Beatles boxes out tomorrow, they're probably overloaded with activity!!!

Also, I'm amazed at how much vinyl sounds good, even 25 cent, 1 dollar used stuff...even though it wasn't mine. I was a nut about no fingerprints, brushing it clean, etc. but some of my old vinyl is noisy. (there, I've admitted it)

Paul

ricmon

« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2009, 07:26 pm »

1. Is the Zappa on that new Clarity vinyl?
2. Moving: moved my daughter into college last week and reminisced how the last thing to get packed was the stereo and the very first thing to hook up was...the stereo!

Paul

This is the Clarity vinyl reissue and it sounds fantastic.........to bad I can't listen to it.  Also never got to open the Dolphy lp..........serious bummer.

Ric

Ric