• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BP26 MC Preamp Feedback
« on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:24 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT - Bryston BP26 Moving Coil Phono Preamp

August 28th 2009

Dear Mr. Tanner,

It is a surprise and a testimony to your commitment to customer support (not to mention Bryston employees) that I see your name still is the direct customer contact for Bryston owners from your website.

Our last email exchange was sometime around 1997 or thereabout, when I wrote to Bryston with an application question about my then new 7B-ST power amps.  (They are still functioning perfectly in my home studio.) I just completed my first purchase of a new Bryston component since then - your BP-26MC preamp - including of course the power supply, with the moving coil phono stage option installed.  They replace my prior pre-amp, a McIntosh MC2200 tube unit, which some years ago replaced a Krell KRC-2.

The BP-26 is spectacular!

It offers a wonderful musicality and is pleasure to listen to with any source or style of music, attributes that the Mac tube preamp excelled at, while simultaneously offering a more stable and solid image placement, with clearer distinction between every instru-ment in a live, acoustic recording.  The old Krell was quite good at the later, but the BP-26 has a shockingly greater dynamic range in comparison to it.  The Bryston is even quieter than the Krell and the Mac (and both are excellent in this regard), yet has the ability to play the most complex orchestral crescendos and the loudest, compressed rock recordings with complete openness and ease.

To me, your ST series products were among the first to combine the best of what both audio professionals and audiophiles demanded back in the '90's.   The BP-26MC now bridges the gab between a pure musicality found in a few of the finest tube units, and the total silence from noise, stunning micro-dynamics, combined with the explosive power and detail of world class solid state.

I am not only satisfied, but even a bit surprised at this level of performance.  So much so, that after one week of living with the BP-26MC preamp, I just placed an order for your BDA-1 DAC.

Bob Sykes
San Francisco, CA 94105

Viajero5000

Re: BP26 MC Preamp Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:49 pm »
He should also audition the new amps... things have moved on a bit since the ST days!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:25 pm »
I concur, at least SSTs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:35 pm »
Absoluteaudiovideo Sisson [absoluteaudiovideo@shaw.ca]

Sent: Fri 8/28/2009 4:29 PM
To: James Tanner

"James as a follow up everyone should check out the BP1.5 MC Phono stage. I've got one hooked up right now in the store .

Awesome!

You seriously need to get one of those out for review :)"

james

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2009, 07:20 pm »
Definitely. The phono stage is a killer. And the price is very reasonable.

Viajero5000

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2009, 09:00 am »
Not sure if this blog entry's been posted here before; apologies if it has:

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/08/trusty-companion-brystons-bp26-pre-amp.html

95Dyna

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2009, 03:34 pm »

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/08/trusty-companion-brystons-bp26-pre-amp.html

Thanks for the link, viajero.  My BP26P is over 2 months old now and I didn't have to wait for that time to pass and a large number of hours to experience almost exactly what the reviewer has said.  I did the opposite and installed the new 7B sq. first then the BP26 about 2 weeks later.  I was so pleased with the 7's that I couldn't imagine the 26 adding anything to the party.....wrong!  I can't believe I came within a hair of paying $9.3K for another well known brand of pre amp.  Caveat Emptor!!

BTW, with the hours put on it since then it has gotten even better.

Viajero5000

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2009, 12:53 pm »

Thanks for the link, viajero.  My BP26P is over 2 months old now and I didn't have to wait for that time to pass and a large number of hours to experience almost exactly what the reviewer has said.  I did the opposite and installed the new 7B sq. first then the BP26 about 2 weeks later.  I was so pleased with the 7's that I couldn't imagine the 26 adding anything to the party.....wrong!  I can't believe I came within a hair of paying $9.3K for another well known brand of pre amp.  Caveat Emptor!!

Hi Dyna, which was this $9.3k pre? Am currently debating whether to go for BP26 or for the much more expensive ARC Ref 3.  am looking for a significantly higher level of transparency and evenness than my current pre-amps allow.  Haven't been able to audition either thus far in my system (although have heard both in other systems).

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm »

Hi Dyna, which was this $9.3k pre? Am currently debating whether to go for BP26 or for the much more expensive ARC Ref 3.  am looking for a significantly higher level of transparency and evenness than my current pre-amps allow.  Haven't been able to audition either thus far in my system (although have heard both in other systems).

It was the Mark Levinson 320.  I was looking at it with the 436 mono's and was seriously considering them when I just thought to myself this is ridiculous.  This configuration costs almost twice the Bryston and there is no way it could distinguish itself.  This is in no way a slap on the ML's as they are wonderful but the Brystons are on that sweetspot cost/performance wise that we've been talking about on the "point of diminishing returns" thread.  With the money I've saved I'll go upscale on my digital source, upgrade my TT/cartridge and buy a Magnum Dynalab FM tuner with tube output stage.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:30 pm »

It was the Mark Levinson 320.  I was looking at it with the 436 mono's and was seriously considering them when I just thought to myself this is ridiculous.  This configuration costs almost twice the Bryston and there is no way it could distinguish itself.  This is in no way a slap on the ML's as they are wonderful but the Brystons are on that sweetspot cost/performance wise that we've been talking about on the "point of diminishing returns" thread.  With the money I've saved I'll go upscale on my digital source, upgrade my TT/cartridge and buy a Magnum Dynalab FM tuner with tube output stage.

I agree with Bill. I was looking at a preamplifier from another Canadian manufacturer which was around the the $7K mark. It sounded good but I enjoyed the sound of the BP-26. The funds I saved purchasing the BP-26 went into a better set of cables. I also like the aesthetics of the BP-26 and the warranty of the BP-26 was double that of the other preamplifier.

Br well... 

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:57 am »
Moral of the story, Bryston is good bang for the buck. As I've said before.