Class A?

Viajero5000

Class A?
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:13 pm »
What're Bryston's thoughts on developing a lower power pure class A type amp that competitors like pass and accuphase for example include in their product lines? Might cater to a certain segment of the market?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Class A?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:24 pm »
It's All A Matter of Class, Eh?

If you have followed power amplifier technology for any length of time, you will have noticed mention of "class", as Class A, Class AB, etc., and perhaps wondered exactly what this nomenclature pertained to. These terms do not refer to quality, but to the operating parameter of the output section. Most power amplifier output stages operate in a push-pull configuration, where the power is delivered from two power supplies on either side of ground, or zero volts. (There are some which do not, but they are relatively non-linear, and need not be considered here).

Operating in push-pull, the output transistors share the load, and are theoretically required to do work only as the signal swings away from ground, in either the positive or negative direction. If the transistors are completely switched off at zero output, and only start conducting when signal is present, this is defined as Class B operation. This is an efficient way of operating the output, and the amplifier runs cool at no signal, but there is one disadvantage; The output devices always have some lag time in their operation, and thus there appears a small but potentially annoying dead zone, called "crossover distortion", at the zero point. Although this crossover nonlinearity does not necessarily add large amounts to the distortion numbers, (0.05% is probably typical), it is easy to hear.

Fortunately, crossover distortion can be reduced to negligible proportions by the simple expedient of running the output transistors "biased" slightly "on" at idle, so they start conducting before the output swings through the zero point. When an amplifier runs this biased output mechanism, it is referred to as "Class AB". Moderate amounts of bias are all that is needed, and as it produces only a bit of heat, this type of amp is still reasonably efficient. Crossover distortion has a number of ways to pop up its ugly little head, however, even if there is a fair amount of bias present, so the engineering of this type of amplifier must be very exacting and precise to give the lowest distortion at all frequencies. If done properly, however, there is no more accurate or lower-distortion type of amplifier available; 0.01% is typical, and 0.001% is attainable.

Some engineers prefer not to have to deal with the possibility of crossover distortion in their designs, and they choose another bias system, called "Class A", where the output transistors are biased on so much that they continuously conduct more than the full load current, even at idle. Thus, they never turn "on" or "off', theoretically obviating crossover distortion.

Unfortunately, this operating system has some obvious, (and some not-so-obvious), disadvantages. Running that much current generates a tremendous amount of heat, so the amplifier is not just inefficient, it is large and expensive, due to the huge heat-dissipating mechanisms required. This consequently warms up the whole room as a side-effect. (Nice in the winter, but remember electric heat is the most expensive kind there is).

A not-so-obvious disadvantage with class A designs is that this high idling current has consequences to the distortion levels far beyond the theoretical elimination of crossover artifacts, (which even in itself is debatable). Transistors have numerous types of distortion mechanisms, among which are deviations from linearity under conditions of simultaneous high voltage and high current. These are, of course, the exact parameters necessary to class A operation, and a typical Class A amplifier runs distortion levels at least 10 times, and often over 100 times, as high as a Class AB amplifier of similar power, or around 0.1%. A careful inspection pf the distortion spectrum also reveals that all the'harmonics are increased, including those represented by the crossover distortion at which the class A operation was aimed in the first place!

Going in the other direction, Class D offers high efficiency through a very different approach to output operation. Class D, often erroneously thought of as "digital amplification", is actually an analog system which varies the width of the top-versus-bottom duty-cycle of a squarewave carrier frequency. The amplifier still traverses from negative to positive voltages and back again, but does so continuously, at a high frequency of perhaps 500 kHz. The time it spends at one extreme or the other is proportional to the locus, or exact voltage-time relationship, of the desired signal at that moment.

Since the output devices spend almost all their time at either full-on or full-off, (areas of absolute minimal dissipation), efficiency is very high, from 80 to 90%. Thus, these amplifiers produce very little heat, and do not have to be as heavy or as large as typical class AB amplifiers, (to say nothing of the class A monsters)! There are naturally disadvantages as well. Class D, by definition, uses very large RF signals, and must be shielded and well-filtered to prevent interference and speaker-damaging outputs. This in turn harms overall linearity, as well as adding to the cost, thus this is not an inexpensive technology. The overall distortion is usually on a par with Class A amplification; good but not great, at around 0.1% or so. If efficiency is your requirement, though, this is the way to go.

Next time, we will look into some other classes of amplification, such as class H, or variable power supply, as well as some interesting "combination" classes, to see if some of them might have merit.

ian.ameline

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:50 pm »
Great description of the different types of amplification James!

So could you call class D "pulse width modulation"?

-- Ian.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:18 pm »
Great description of the different types of amplification James!

So could you call class D "pulse width modulation"?

-- Ian.

Absolutely.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2009, 08:31 am »
Very informative article James, thanks for sharing that; although I was aware of the inefficiency of Class A design, I certainly didn't know that Class A distortion was actually *higher* than AB.

So my next questions would be:

(1) why do people still manufacture expensive class A amps if they're higher distortion, lower power and much less efficient than their (properly designed) class AB counterparts?

(2) Another thing I've noticed claimed about Class A is their doubling of power for every corresponding halving of impedance; the claim is thus greater stability during real world situations.  Does the fact that AB designs don't always 'double up' have any consequences (including greater distortion?)

I'm sorry if my questions sound a bit basic, this is an educational exercise for me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2009, 11:11 am »
Hi Viajero5000

1. I guess there are a number of reasons - the fact that a designer has been working with that technology for a number of years tends to take one in the same direction.  I assume some companies still feel it sounds better even if distortion levels are a little higher. Also like tubes in some cases there is a specfic sound they are trying to achieved that some may perfer?  And lastly I think there is a better 'cache' factor with Class A designs. 

2. The doubling of power as impedance drops is a 'power supply' issue not a 'Class' issue.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2009, 11:18 am »
Hi Viajero5000

1. Also like tubes in some cases there is a specfic sound they are trying to achieved that some may perfer?  And lastly I think there is a better 'cache' factor with Class A designs. 

2. The doubling of power as impedance drops is a 'power supply' issue not a 'Class' issue.

james

Hmmm, that may be the case for 1. I've never owned a Class A amp due to temperature issues so have no first hand experience of such amps.

Thanks for clarifying 2.

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:29 pm »
Hi Viajero5000

1. Also like tubes in some cases there is a specfic sound they are trying to achieved that some may perfer?  And lastly I think there is a better 'cache' factor with Class A designs. 

james

Hmmm, that may be the case for 1. I've never owned a Class A amp due to temperature issues so have no first hand experience of such amps.

Thanks for clarifying 2.

Don't use more than the first six watts of your Bryston and you have a Class A amp. :lol: 

Viajero5000

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:33 pm »

Don't use more than the first six watts of your Bryston and you have a Class A amp. :lol:

Is this the 'light biasing'?

srb

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:42 pm »

So I have to ask, why don't Bryston amps double power from 8 to 4 ohms?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2009, 03:56 pm »
I will ask engineering to give you a more detailed technical report but it comes down to the fact that most speakers fall between 4-8 ohms over the majority of their frequency band. So the need for power amplifiers to continue doubling into the lower and lower impedances 8 to 4 to 2 ohms for instance is not really required in the vast majority of circumstances. 

The cost of building a quality linear power supply that continually doubles is expensive and would not make any difference with most real world loads given the majority of speakers out there. With Bryston, as the amp size increases the ability to drive lower and lower impedances increases. So the 14B would be the better choice over the 4B if low impedance drive is the requirement.  Kind of like choosing the appropriate motor for your car given its weight and how quick you want to go. The power supply in a 7B would have to be the size of the 28B if you wanted a doubling of power down into 4 and 2 ohms and cost the same as a 28B essentially.

I have a pair of 7B's at home now that we called the (77B) for design purposes and it has the ability to double power from 8 to 4 and 4 to 2 ohms. but its the size of a 28B at 1/2 the power into 8 ohms. So the 28B is capable of over 1200 watts at 8 ohms and 900 watts at 4 ohms and the 77B is limited to 600 watts at 8 ohms but 1200 watts at 4 ohms and 2000 plus watts at 2 ohms.  All of this is predicated on the wall plug being up to the task of course - which it rarely is!

Hope this makes sense.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:01 pm »
I suppose when an amp is pumping out more than 600 watts at 8 ohms and 900 watts at 4 ohms, extra wattage from 'doubling up' is pretty much meaningless anyway for the vast majority of speakers...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:02 pm »
From Engineering:

Hi, Steve;

Or we could just rate the 4B SST2 at 250W per channel @ 8 Ohms, for instance. Then the 500W per channel rating @ 4 Ohms would be 'double' That's how it's done.

cwr

srb

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:16 pm »
I suppose when an amp is pumping out more than 600 watts at 8 ohms and 900 watts at 4 ohms, extra wattage from 'doubling up' is pretty much meaningless anyway for the vast majority of speakers...

True.

From Engineering:

Hi, Steve;

Or we could just rated the 4B SST2 at 250W per channel @ 8 Ohms, for instance. Then the 500W per channel rating @ 4 Ohms would be 'double' That's how it's done.

cwr

I like that answer.  In any case, the spec of "doubling down" or not doesn't diminish the quality or sound of the Bryston amps, I was just technically curious.

Steve

95Dyna

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2009, 07:08 pm »
From Engineering:

Hi, Steve;

Or we could just rate the 4B SST2 at 250W per channel @ 8 Ohms, for instance. Then the 500W per channel rating @ 4 Ohms would be 'double' That's how it's done.

cwr

I was just going to say the same thing but you beat me to the punch, James.  If you look at the actual lab measurements of some prominent Bryston competitors this is exactly how they "double down" using marketing voodoo instead of power supplies that actually do.  The stated power into 8 ohms is often as much a 200 wpc less than the lab actual.  They then state the 4 ohm reading as lab actual and make it appear to double down.  They will then pat them selves on the back for being "conservative" in their power rating at 8 ohms.  The 7B lab actual at 4 ohms is over 1kw.  Mine are currently driving a pair of amp unfriendly speakers that take a dip to .8 ohms at 30 hz among other things.  They do so like they are walking a pair of Yorkshire Terriers in the park.

SF

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:47 pm »
From Engineering:

Hi, Steve;

cwr

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Marketing for Dummies"
I love it.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2009, 09:14 pm »
While we're on the subject of Class A, I wonder if James might comment about the Class A output sections of the various preamps, CD player, and DAC. Specifically, what differentiates the output topologies of voltage level equipment, and why those differ from wattage level equipment as far as efficiency, thermal stability, and  overload characteristics?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2009, 05:41 pm »
The Bryston preamps are Class A, true?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2009, 05:48 pm »
The Bryston preamps are Class A, true?