Cornet2 - R223

Demsy

Cornet2 - R223
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 04:41 am »
I finished my Cornet2 about a week ago, have it all working after rectifying the blunder I made with the resistors. At first I didn't like the sound at all, especially the high is very, very soft. It was a far cry from my old Audio Research PH-1.
The heater voltage was only 5.6 volt, using the 1.8ohm as recommended on R223. I changed with 1.3ohm and got 6.15 volt. And yes, immediately the sound coming out of the loudspeakers is very, very listenable. All seems to fall in the the right places and the highs are exquisit. The sound seems to improve with time, getting better and better any minute. Even after about 6 hours, I must say that it is sounding way better than my good olf AR PH-1. I will have the tubes setting as is for the next 30 to 50 hours, it is now all Telefunken. Curious to hear the Bugle Boy and the Mullard or the combinations of those tubes.
With this, I would suggest to Jim Haggerman to consider changing the value of the R223 to 1.3ohm. I forgot to mention that our line voltage is 220v. As I was really disappointed with the sound quality, at the beginning. Or at least place a notification of the possibility of encountering such a problem, with the newer Hammond transformer.

Cheers,

D

Yoda

Re: Cornet2 - R223
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:48 pm »
This issue has popped up a few times on the bboard.  It seems as if some tweaking at this point is necessary to get the heater voltage just right, no matter what the base line voltage is.  There must be some variation in tube heater consumption, and tolerances on resistors can vary - it's important to measure each component.  Which reminds me - I have been wanting to check all of my tube gear to get this dialed in!

matt

Demsy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:57 am »
Hi Matt,

I pointed out that my line voltage is 220 volt, in relation of the Hammond transformer, which I am not sure how the output voltage for the heater is, running on 110 volt. As indeed this matter has popped up in many discussions and also Jim Hagerman suspected that there is a difference in the heater outputs between the old and new transformer, maybe it is time to recommend a new, lower value for the R223.
I build this Cornet2, not because I like to tweak, it is because I need a good phono stage and have read so many good reviews about it. And it would be nice if we get everything right from the first time we fire it up. It is not that I didn't enjoy building and trying to get everything working as it should. I did enjoy it very much, but was rather frustrated when heard it for the first time.
So my point is simply asking Jim to modify his parts list, or put a note regarding the value of R223. Just to help the future builder of the Cornet2.

D

tubesforever

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2009, 08:36 am »
I think what happened is that Hammond changed the specs on their world wide Transformer that Jim optioned for the Cornet 2.

I found that 1.25 ohms delivers about 6.0 to 6.15 heater voltage at 120 volts. 

I am glad your C2 is sounding better.  Give it some time.  Mine is still sounding better and better and it is a year old now.

Demsy

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 09:44 am »
Hi Tubes,

On 220v I need 1,35ohm to get 6.2 volt. Yes I enjoy the C2 more and more everyday, it seems to keep on improving with the time.

Cheers,

D

dangerbird

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:28 pm »
If you would, please share exactly where you are making your measurments at,please and thanks.

I know it's a dumb question,but hey,I ain't proud. 8)