Off-Ramp from XXHighEnd

summers_tim

Off-Ramp from XXHighEnd
« on: 26 Aug 2009, 12:53 pm »
Hi,

Just wanted to post and let the world know that the latest release of XXHighEnd works super-well with the Off-Ramp.  Previous versions had a compatability issue, but that's now resolved. 

IMO it sounds way better than Foobar in the only way that matters - music sounds live.  We've all had moments where we've upgraded something and reached a new level.  Well, listening to 24/96 through XXHighEnd & the Off-Ramp was one of those moments.

The UI is pretty clunky - similar to Foobar but way off iTunes - and installation is a little more involved than many players.  It's a work in progress with regular new releases.

Check it out, there's a free demo version.  Make sure you use Engine 3 (1 & 2 sound good, perhaps a little better than Foobar, but Engine 3 is where it's hoppin').

Tim

HP laptop, Vista: XXHighEnd 0.9x-7: Off-Ramp 3: Chord DAC 64: RWA Signature 30.2: Zu Druid 4

audioengr

Re: Off-Ramp from XXHighEnd
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:36 am »
Hi,

Just wanted to post and let the world know that the latest release of XXHighEnd works super-well with the Off-Ramp.  Previous versions had a compatability issue, but that's now resolved. 

IMO it sounds way better than Foobar in the only way that matters - music sounds live.  We've all had moments where we've upgraded something and reached a new level.  Well, listening to 24/96 through XXHighEnd & the Off-Ramp was one of those moments.

The UI is pretty clunky - similar to Foobar but way off iTunes - and installation is a little more involved than many players.  It's a work in progress with regular new releases.

Check it out, there's a free demo version.  Make sure you use Engine 3 (1 & 2 sound good, perhaps a little better than Foobar, but Engine 3 is where it's hoppin').

Tim

HP laptop, Vista: XXHighEnd 0.9x-7: Off-Ramp 3: Chord DAC 64: RWA Signature 30.2: Zu Druid 4

Thanks for this input.  I'll download it and compare to Amarra on Mac when I have a chance. 

Just bought a batch of remastered CD's on Amazon and ripped them with dbpoweramp and upsampled with Wave Editor to 24/96 on the Mac.  Amazing.  The Steely Dan and Bonnie Raitt is bone-crushing! A CD player playback of the same CD's is not even close.

Steve N.

phuongthu

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2009, 04:14 pm »
Hi,
Tim

Yes, very well  XXHighend with Offramp 3, the sound is exactly wide open, mid sweet, sounds high separate,the same music sounds live  ....

phuongthu

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2010, 08:57 am »
Hi phuongthu,
Can you please guide me the settings for this ?  I downloaded the .9-Y4 and run as administrator but it keep complaining engine 3 cannot be started.  I set it up to use 24bit 96khz to use with my OverDrive USB with 96khz superclock 4.   So far, I cannot get it to play anything..   Setup procedure is definitely have room for improvement.  Please help..

Many thanks in advance..   

kaka

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2010, 11:23 am »
I got this going with an Overdrive a few weeks back under Vista on machine that had already been talking to a Offramp. I didn't have to do anything apart from making sure that the sound was heading to Empirical rather than the default audio (set in Sound within Control Panel)

I thought xxHighend sounded nicer than Foobar, but preferred Amarra on the mac. I had problems with the trial xxHighend version falling over periodically - after perhaps 30 to 60 minutes it was gone, no trace of it when checking what was running

oris98

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2010, 06:15 am »
I got it going now..  Yes, my initial impression of xxHighEnd .9y-4 sound better than Foobar.  It just have a bit higher learning curve than Foobar.  Documentation is not the best but take time explore it..   But after all, what all we are after is the sound quality !  I never tried Amarra with MAC.  Unfortunately, there is no Amarra does not work with PC..

Thanks for sharing !   :thumb:

oris98

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2010, 06:19 am »
Oh ! I forgot to mentioned here,  xxHighEnd got rid of the poping and cracking noise in Foobar which I had suffered from long time.   This is a big plus for something sounded better than foobar and no cracking noise !!!   :eyebrows: