SST/2 made for ROCK!

Mag

SST/2 made for ROCK!
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 09:40 pm »
My biggest pleasure with my new 3B SST/2 is with how it handles rock music. Guitars sound meaner (in a good way), hammond organ sounds more tubey, bass guitar you can feel, crisp drums with the proper shimmer of cymbols. Yet it can finese the delicate passages with resolution that I wouldn't have thought an amp capable of, after all isn't that what the source is suppose to do?

If the recording quality is fairly good the presentation along with the BCD-1 is holographic almost everytime. As I mentioned before with Jean Michel Jarre- Metamorphesus, it's not just the discernment of the ghostly whisper, which may or not be discerned with other equipment, it's presented in a holographic dimension that adds to the meaning of the song 'Give Me a Sign'. The sign is the ghostly whisper layered in the background.

Sadly I don't have enough good guitar rock. I've played what I have to exhaustion. And for the most part the new headbanger stuff just doesn't cut it, when it comes to heavy metal, as far as I'm concerned. But don't let that stop you from getting this amp if you want to hear rock at its finest. 8)

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: SST/2 made for ROCK!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:44 pm »
Of course. I play Heavy rock, punk, etc. through my BP6 and 4BSST Pro all the time! Most of it sounds great, believe it or not...

mkaiser

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:45 am »

Mag,

Here are some very good sounding rock/metal band you should enjoy.  :thumb:

Opeth - Damnation
Brave - Searching for the Sun, Monuments
Lake of Tears - Headstones, Forever Autumn,The Naoni
Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot, Emergent
Antimatter - Planetary Confinement, Leaving Eden

These are easy to find and download. The problem with most folk is they listen to the popular stuff while the bands that fly under the radar are the real keepers.
Prove me a liar.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2009, 02:24 am »
I don't download music anymore since they put the kibash on Galaxy. I'll have to find 'em on cd. Thanks

Listening to Headbangers Ball, it's awesome, powerful. It's the only one of 4 cd that I can stomach. What ever happened to guitar solos? Power chord riffs are good if the songs good, but it's tirering on crap songs.  What's with the cookie monster vocals? At least the SST/2 makes the vocals bearable. :P

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2009, 12:43 pm »
One thing I like about Bryston amps is that they work well with all sorts of music...

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2009, 06:43 pm »
Exactly. It's a very cool trait.

Viajero5000

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2009, 07:04 pm »
Of course the flip side is they present bad recordings exactly for what they are!

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2009, 07:29 pm »
What inspired me to get back into home audio was David Arkenstone, New Age music. I built my system to cater to instrumental music and he uses a lot of bass.

I orginally started with 2-channel. Then I heard my girlfriends surround system which sounded much better than what I had and cost less. So that's when I became dedicated to surround sound, to get that fuller sound, which has evolved into multi-channel stereo

About six months later I realized that something was missing from rock music. My speakers were smoothng over the highs, and for me the highs are what give rock guitar its vitality. So I ended up with the B&W DM 601 S3, which I've kept in the system ever since. They have a very good tweeter. So good you can hear digital artifacts in mp3's. However as good as they are they had a shrillness to them that could be considered unpleasant. Anyway with the 3B SST/2  the shrillness is gone from these speakers.

IMO if a stereo can do justice to rock music, it will do justice to other genres of music. 8)

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »
Of course the flip side is they present bad recordings exactly for what they are!

True. Neutral sounding equipment reveals all; the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:05 pm »
Of course I don't just listen to rock. Right now I'm playing Tangerine Dream-Livelmiles at peaks of 95 to 98 decibels C weighted, it's to die for, though the reviews on the album are not that favorable it's one of my favorite.

As per discussion on holographic imaging in another thread. I have like 12 tweeters firing and is a key component in imaging. However it's open to interpratation what constitutes a holographic image. :|

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2009, 09:31 pm »
True...but if it sounds good to you, who cares?