Perfect amp for LS-9, Does it exist in the relm of afordability?

nickd

I have about 100 hours on My LS-9's and and can't believe they are still "breaking in" they keep sounding better and better. I am now in search for the perfect amp. The LS-9's seem to expose every flaw up stream. My 5 year old DAC had to go and I The difference between my Krells and Custom Shop MOSFET amp are amazing but I can hear the weak spots in both :| The Krell lacks tonal color in the mids and the Fet amp lacks ultimate control on the bass and the amazing clairity in the soundstage of the Krell :|

Any LS-9 users in the GR group with thoughts on a good amplifier match up?

I am thinking solid state (bass control of 24 woofers) and need to keep the cost sane. I am considering the EDGE line and possibly the new Audio Research HD200. but both are pricy and the EDGE does not have ballanced input (I use long cables)

cujobob

Perhaps a Wyred or Digital Amp Company Cherry amp?  Lots of power available.

arthurs

This would be an awfully nice match for a lot less $$$$ than the HD220...  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70303.0

arthurs

This would be an awfully nice match for a lot less $$$$ than the HD220...  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70303.0

P.S.  I have heard the Moscode with the LS6 in my system and it was excellent, it would easily drive the 9's.   I haven't heard the DAC or Wyred amps but have heard from trusted ears here at AC that they are quite good.

Milehighguy

People may laugh, but with my ls-9's I use an emotiva xpa-2. It outputs 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 500 into 4. It has a 1600 watt transformer and a huge bank of capacitors. It weighs 75 pounds. I got it at the last RMAF where a speaker designer was using 2 of them to show off some very nice, expensive speakers. He remarked that it sounds like a $20k amp. I think it costs $700 brand new, maybe $800, factory direct. It gets rave reviews and wins awards, and comes with a return guaranty. Oh, and it sounds fantastic.
Having said all that, if finances were more favorable, I would call Gary Dodd and see what he could do for me. The ls-9's are efficient and don't need a lot of power to get loud, but do need an overbuilt power supply to control the back EMF from 12 woofers and to get strong bass. All of Gary's amps have that overbuilt power supply .

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio

P.S.  I have heard the Moscode with the LS6 in my system and it was excellent, it would easily drive the 9's.   I haven't heard the DAC or Wyred amps but have heard from trusted ears here at AC that they are quite good.

I'd love to hear how that Onix XIA-160 Hugh is bringing to your place this weekend sounds with your LS-6's.  Any plans to to play anything through your speaks?  It could end up on the list for LS owners wanting solid state.

sch

In my case, the PS Audio GCA 250W/channel is driving them in their break-in period perfectly. Just my 0,05 cents :)
Santiago

arthurs

I'd love to hear how that Onix XIA-160 Hugh is bringing to your place this weekend sounds with your LS-6's.  Any plans to to play anything through your speaks?  It could end up on the list for LS owners wanting solid state.

I don't have 6's anymore, but will have the XIA-160 around for a bit so maybe we'll get together in a couple weeks to hear how it sounds with the Custom 9's...Saturday it will be difficult to make those kinds of system changes...the electrostats being demo'd are quite big and moving them out and the 9's in during the day probably isn't happening, but we'll see, you never know.

stu

I am using a pair of Channel Islands D-500 monos on my 9's, and could notbe happier.  Plenty of power, and finness.  Still breaking in the speakers, and they are sounding better each day.  Thanks to Danny and Mark!

Mark

arthurs

I am using a pair of Channel Islands D-500 monos on my 9's, and could notbe happier.  Plenty of power, and finness.  Still breaking in the speakers, and they are sounding better each day.  Thanks to Danny and Mark!

Mark

Hadn't thought of that, but knowing Dusty's products and sound, I bet that is a terrific combination!

stu

Mark

Hadn't thought of that, but knowing Dusty's products and sound, I bet that is a terrific combination!

Dusty worked a long time time to get these amps to sound as good as he could.  He uses highly modified hypex modules, and large power supply.  His new D-200 mkII amps, derived from the 500's I believe, will be out soon.  The D-500's with the 9's IS a killer combination.

Mark

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
I just looked those up.  They do indeed look very nice.  Price is right too.

dvenardos

Has anyone tried the Virtue amps with the LS9/6?
Just curious how it would sound, not going to be building LSs.

kingdeezie

I would suggest looking at the Odyssesy Stratos Monos as perhaps somewhere to look for something reasonable.

The Stratos Mono Extreme SE's are rated conservatively at 200 watts per channel, but they pass a boat load of current, something over 130 amps or something; perfect for controlling all of those drivers.

New they can get pricey; but you can stalk audiogon with great results. The pair I bought from a gentleman are a custom pair of Stratos Mono Extreme SE+s that I think he ended up paying over 4Gs for; he downsized his system and his wife was making him sell them ASAP; local pickup sale went great and after shooting the breeze with the guy for an hour or so, he sold them to me for $1400  (200 off of what we decided on) with only a minor scratch on the top of one case.

I use them to run my LS-6s in my smallish room to good results.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King

Having said all that, if finances were more favorable, I would call Gary Dodd and see what he could do for me. The ls-9's are efficient and don't need a lot of power to get loud, but do need an overbuilt power supply to control the back EMF from 12 woofers and to get strong bass. All of Gary's amps have that overbuilt power supply .

Remember that the LS9 was voiced and designed with Dodd amps.  If I am correct, Danny was using a 50 wpc Dodd to design the LS6

Danny Richie

That's true and those amps are still for sale.

nickd

Of all the thoughts on the subject, I think the Channel Islands designs sound like the best option, The cool operating temps, low energy usage, and balanced input are all helpful. If they sound as good as everyone says I could be a happy camper aa

I'm not sure how a switching amp with a pair of mosfets can damp 24 woofers however? you would think the back EMF would at least cause heat build up?

stu

Of all the thoughts on the subject, I think the Channel Islands designs sound like the best option, The cool operating temps, low energy usage, and balanced input are all helpful. If they sound as good as everyone says I could be a happy camper aa

I'm not sure how a switching amp with a pair of mosfets can damp 24 woofers however? you would think the back EMF would at least cause heat build up?

I have been driving my 9's with the Channel Ilands D-500's for over 4 months now, and they do it beautifully.  Bass is deep, tight ,and controlled.  I can drive them hard for 2 hours and the casing never gets above room temperature. They just do not generate ANY heat.  Dusty has a pair of 9's coming, but I do not know if he has them yet.
Mark