Making X-Omni's a little more like the O-3's

mojave

Making X-Omni's a little more like the O-3's
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 03:58 pm »
A little over a month ago I changed out my av123 ELT525T/ELT525C combination for a pair of X-Omni's and the X-CS. I really like the sound of the X-Omni's. My only "complaint" was that they were a little thin in the midbass area. I also really like the X-CS. Tonally, I feel it blends perfectly with the X-Omni's. I have a music DVD and I switched between the 5.1 and stereo tracks. Besides a few spacial clues, the vocals sounded quite similar with either track.

Danny sells a kit for the O-3 speakers. These are very similar to the X-Omni's, except they are a three way design with an extra driver handling from 150 Hz and down. The OB-5 and OB-7 are also three way designs with drivers in a sealed box handling from around 180-200 Hz and down.

Saturday I decided to try something similar. I plugged the subwoofer output of my soundcard into the center speaker input on my amplifier. I set the crossover at 120 Hz. I can go as high as 200 Hz and am still experimenting with the best setting. I also send a fullrange digital PCM stereo signal to a DCX2496 for bass management and ouput to dual MFW-15 subwoofers. I set the low pass crossover for the subs to 65 Hz (the F3 for the X-CS). Now the X-Omnis play down to around 120-150 Hz, the X-CS picks up and plays down to 65 Hz, and the subs play from 65 Hz and down.

The mid-bass now has more weight and authority yet still plays tight and clean. Another benefit is that the X-Omnis play a little cleaner with the higher crossover. I could also use the MFW-15's with a crossover of 120 Hz, but I feel that the dual 6.5" drivers in the sealed X-CS play faster and cleaner.

This is similar to what Hsu Research does with their Ventriloquist system. The mid-bass frequencies from the mains are routed to the center channel.

Any comments, questions, suggestions or criticisms?

emac

Re: Making X-Omni's a little more like the O-3's
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2009, 06:35 pm »
Just caught this thread.  2 thoughts.  First, it's basically impossible to make the X-Omni's sound as good as the O-3's.  I have the XO's for the Omni's Ninja modded, and I had Sonicap Platinums in there for good measure.  Very nice sound, but no where near as detailed or clean as the O-3's, even before I added Platinums to the XO of the O-3's.  Second, the Omni's and O-3's are not speakers that are going to pummel you with bass.  The bass is clean and airy, but not aggressive.  So, I think what you did was add some more punch to the midbass.  Which is fine.  Depends on what you're looking for.