The Thorns SACD

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The Thorns SACD
« on: 31 Dec 2003, 05:16 am »
Curiosity finally got the better of me today and I bought The Thorns new SACD.  The short review I'd read compared them to Crosby, Stills & Nash, and that's a pretty apt comparison.  This disc has a very familiar sound to it, and some of it doesn't seem wholly original, but almost a homage to the 60's/70's folk rock bands.  (They even include a cover of Blue.).

Still, they do add some twists that give the album it's own personality, and I rather like it.  I've only played it just the once, so I expect it'll really grow on me after a few listens.

I can definately recommend it on sonic grounds, another superb sounding SACD.  Critics of MC mixes will find very little to criticize in the surround version of this one- it's very restrained in it's use of the surrounds, reserving them mostly for amibience with a little bit of vocals tossed in.  This demonstrates the liquidity that SACD possessees (and DVD-A for that matter)  that elevate the sonics above even the bests sounding redbook disc.

Maybe I'll post some more impressions after a few more listens, but my first impressions are very favorable.  Good tunes very well recorded.