Please recommend a Rec or Pro for 7.1 and HD audio decoding

TF1216

• Industry Participant
I determined that I want to be able to enjoy all the blu-ray concert discs and DVD-A discs have to offer.  My current receiver, a Yamaha RX-V661, will not decode HD audio.  I believe I need to get a new receiver or processor to obtain the lossless audio from the source.  Is this true?

I am asking for help with this question from those with experience.  I have been reading about different receivers on AVSforum but I just get lost in all of the threads. 

Equipment list:
- Oppo BD-83
- Satellite TV Receiver
- DIY 6-channel Amplifier
- 2-channel Amplifier
- 5 DIY Speakers

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Please recommend a Rec or Pro for 7.1 and HD audio decoding
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2009, 10:06 pm »
Denon 3808.  very good, very flexible, and handles all codecs.  Can be set up so that each input has its own channel trims/default surround process/initial volume setting/etc.....via Quick Select buttons (like presetting a radio station; hold button in and it remembers all user defined settings for that input).  The pre outs are clean (RCA only, unfortunately..no XLR).

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2009, 12:24 am »
Thank you Ted for the answer.
I just read-up on the unit.  It is feature packed.  I like it a lot.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2009, 12:54 am »
A few of us replaced fairly sophisticated pre/pros like the Integra 9.8 or its twin sibling, the Onkyo Pro 885, with the 3808.  At the time it was going for a very good price with a free Blu-Ray player.   Daivd (Rydenfan) turned me on to the switcheroo plan, and I was worried I would take a small step back in functionality or certainly sonics.  Both were furthest from the truth.   In fact, I run a complicated scenario where I have different amps and speakers for 5.1 (dedicated hirez surround music setup) vs 7.1 (different sides and rears for movies) and the 3808, via Quick Select, handles it perfectly, turning on one set, turning off the other and invoking the back surrounds, all while preserving their unique channel trims.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2009, 01:04 am »
May I ask another question?

Is there a way with the 3808 to incorporate a preamp without HT bypass for 2-channel playback?  Is that something you do now?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2009, 01:09 am »
Need HT bypass on your stereo pre (deal breaker for me), or just calibrate for one input (for example, input 3, where the front l/r's from the 3808 come in) at say 12 oclock on the volume dial, always going to that when you use HT.  I would choose a high volume mark, cuz you want to minimize s/n ratio.  Then leave the stereo pre at that volume and use 3808 volume for HT.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2009, 11:46 am »
Denon 3808.  very good, very flexible, and handles all codecs.  Can be set up so that each input has its own channel trims/default surround process/initial volume setting/etc.....via Quick Select buttons (like presetting a radio station; hold button in and it remembers all user defined settings for that input).  The pre outs are clean (RCA only, unfortunately..no XLR).

+1

rydenfan

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2009, 01:03 pm »
As Ted mentioned, I am a big fan of the Denon 3808. I replaced a setup with a separate pre/pro and amp and feel that my SQ has improved. Certainly a great piece and one that is easy to recommend.