The Amazing ADS L-300C Mini Monitor

Wind Chaser

The Amazing ADS L-300C Mini Monitor
« on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:15 am »
Just picked up a pair off ebay for $100.  In a word... Wow!  In two words...  Very sexy.  The build quality and performance of these ancient Lilliputians is outstanding.  How come they don't make them any more?  They are about 30% smaller than the LS3/5a, but pack more punch in the bottom end by digging about 20 Hz deeper.  These are keepers, very easy on the ear.  Smooth and detailed.  They sound very natural.  The foam surrounds are on the brink and will eventually need attention; even so, I consider these to be an extraordinary flat out bargain.

In keeping with the ultra compact concept, I was going to mate them with the Miniwatt tube amp, but they are rated 4 ohms and only about 87 db efficient.  So instead I found a used Virtue Audio One and snapped it up.  It won't choke the low impedance or run out of steam as quick as the Miniwatt.  I think that will make for a much better match.

If you are looking for high performance in an ultra compact mini monitor for next to nothing, these are the ticket.  I spotted another pair in Canada yesterday for $150 and scooped them up as well without any hesitation. 

PMAT

Re: The Amazing ADS L-300C Mini Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:46 am »
Congrats, I have fond memories of ADS minis. In the early eighties I bought a pair and mounted them on custom stands on the back shelf of my Datsun 510 sedan to fire right at me. I had straps to remove them at night. Nobody had anything like it. I loved those things. Look at car audio now. Most of it sounds like crap. Have fun with them.

no1maestro

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2009, 06:02 pm »
I love mine, I have them set up on my wife's dressing table as a bedroom system. The quality is great for such a small package. I am always on the lookout for some of the larger systems to use elsewhere!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2009, 02:07 pm »
I found a second pair of the "E" version in white and in absolutely perfect condition.  I doubt these are broken in.  Unlike the "C" version, these have rubber surrounds.  The old foam on the "C's" didn't like the higher SPL levels, so new surrounds are on the way.  It will be interesting to compare the two versions when I finally get around to repairing the "C's".

Very impressed with the SQ.  They mate very nice with the Virtue One.