3 prong power cord or 2 prong cord?

duff138

3 prong power cord or 2 prong cord?
« on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:31 pm »
 I moved a few things around and now while plugging everything back in I notice I have a 3 prong cord and a 2 prong cord, and don't know which goes with which piece of equipment.  How would one know which requires the 2 prong and which uses the 3 prong cord?  There's a good chance the 2 prong may not go with either, since I could have accidentally  grab it from a box the last time I moved stuff around.
 Is it a good idea to just go buy a 3 prong cord and not use the 2 prong one.  Is there any danger in using the 2 prong cord, if it really came with a 3 prong cord?  Any help with this silly question would be apprciated!

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: 3 prong power cord or 2 prong cord?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:59 pm »
If the connector connector receptacle on the back of the unit has two pins, it needs a two cord. And so on.  It's un-safe to modify cords and connectors to change the pin count.

duff138

Re: 3 prong power cord or 2 prong cord?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2009, 12:35 am »
If the connector connector receptacle on the back of the unit has two pins, it needs a two cord. And so on.  It's un-safe to modify cords and connectors to change the pin count.

O.K.  both connector receptacles on the back are 3 pins, so they must need 3 prong cords.  This 3 to 2 prongs cord I'm using must have come from somewhere else then.  thanks