What is everyone else using for freq resp mea

hobbyhands

What is everyone else using for freq resp mea
« on: 21 Aug 2009, 04:00 am »
I just setup my measurement system and got it calibrated.

I'm using:

ARTA - Free The demo is full functioning minus being able to save.
M-Audio Firewire 410 $299.00(You can use a cheaper sound card though. I just happen to have it.)
ECM8000 Mic $50.00
Receiver - Already had
8 ohm resistor 1w 1meter at 2.83- already had
multimeter - already had

Using a simulation program is great, but I have to say having a live frequency response results is really nice. Especially for fine funning values.

I figure I spent $300 extra to get this up an running. That being said you can get away with a less epensive sound card.

jk@home

Re: What is everyone else using for freq resp mea
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2009, 11:00 am »
I just setup my measurement system and got it calibrated.

I'm using:

ARTA - Free The demo is full functioning minus being able to save.
M-Audio Firewire 410 $299.00(You can use a cheaper sound card though. I just happen to have it.)
ECM8000 Mic $50.00
Receiver - Already had
8 ohm resistor 1w 1meter at 2.83- already had
multimeter - already had

Using a simulation program is great, but I have to say having a live frequency response results is really nice. Especially for fine funning values.

I figure I spent $300 extra to get this up an running. That being said you can get away with a less epensive sound card.

I use Room EQ Wizard on an older laptop, along with an M-Audio Mobile-Pre USB and Behr ECM8000 mic (plus mic stand). Nice portable setup. Haven't used it on my single driver system yet, but plan to soon, when tweaking my new bass units to match the Tektons.

Worked great setting up the subwoofer in the HT system.

I recently threw together some old matching Yamaha equipment I had, for an outside pool music system. I installed the tuner, intergrated amp, seperate EQ , and a remote receiver unit (controlled by a RF universal remote), all in a detached shed. Hung the speakers outside on the shed, facing the pool and house.

Spent a half a day, inside the shed, "pinging" the backyard with the REW program, taking measurements and adjusting the EQ.  Neighbors probably thought I was nuts  :green:

Bob_Brines

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2009, 12:21 pm »
I fought with Speaker Workshop for a while but the jig was never right and trying to get repeatable readings was frustrating. I used Sound Easy for a few years, but again, stability was a problem. I just purchased the Smith & Larson Speaker Tester (the middle of their three products). Works great. Rock solid and near zero setup time. The only thing I am missing is large signal testing. It's in there, just locked out. I'll probably buy in nex year.

Bob

hobbyhands

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:50 pm »
Yes I was wondering what my neighbors were thinking as well :).