Which Mac (laptop) sounds best?

truant

Which Mac (laptop) sounds best?
« on: 19 Aug 2009, 04:45 pm »
I've been using my MacBook Pro as my source along with a Havana DAC for about a month now.  Last night I hooked up my mom's MacBook (white) to compare and thought it sounded better...noticeably more detailed yet relaxed...dare I say analogue.  I've come across a couple of references suggesting the MacBook is quieter than the MacBook Pro. I'll have to spend some more time with the MacBook to verify my initial impressions.  I'm looking to get another Mac to use only for music and have determined a laptop will work best with my current setup. Any other experiences comparing MacBooks? White vs. Aluminum, MacBook vs. MacBook Pro...

Toka

Re: Which Mac (laptop) sounds best?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2009, 07:18 pm »
Were the Core Audio settings the same on both computers?

truant

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2009, 03:40 am »
thanks for the input.  I hadn't checked the audio/midi settings.  Turns out I had my MacBook Pro set for 24 rather than 16 bits - the Havana is a 16 bit dac.  What a difference.  I thought I had it good before.  Also,  very helpful with respect to the gain.  I have much more room to adjust volume. I had worked around this through my iPod/remote but glad not to have to resort to that now.

sl_1800

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2009, 02:06 am »
Now I need to check this out.  I have a black macbook I use as my music server and I have a 13" macbook pro and my main carry around computer.  Now I feel the need to compare them for sound.