Bicycling Off-Road

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #240 on: 3 Jan 2010, 09:16 pm »

Levi:

Off topic, but how do you like your PMC speakers compared to the grand pianos you once had? What is the cost of the PMC's?

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #241 on: 3 Jan 2010, 11:43 pm »
The PMC truly rocks!  Here is the link to my impressions

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #242 on: 4 Jan 2010, 12:40 am »

Thanks.

I see you say they performed better than the Pianos, but not in what ways.

I would say the Pianos to be a romantic speaker. It images well and is fairly full bodied, and great in the looks department.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #243 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:19 am »
You pretty much sums the sound of SF.  However, the PMC made the SF sounded muffled and muddy.  Likewise, the SF does not like rock n' roll.  The PMC plays it ALL with juicy low-end snap and silky top-end which makes it a fun speaker to hear all sorts of music.  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #244 on: 4 Jan 2010, 03:38 am »
We went riding today and it was 25F with the wind howling.  It was bitterly cold but it never stopped us riding in the woods!

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #245 on: 4 Jan 2010, 04:07 am »

Thanks for that.

Look like some fun trails. Hey, where is the snow?  :lol:

Pretty funny saying 25 degrees is bitterly cold. Try some -40, like what we just came out of. Then 25 will seem like a heat wave. At -40 your car seat feels like a rock and the first few rolls your tires thump as the flat spot at the bottom takes a bit of time to round out.

The BIG saving grace is it is quite dry over here. -20 with humidity will feel like -40 in a dry climate.

Rocket_thump-thump-thump_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #246 on: 4 Jan 2010, 04:28 am »
At least you are warm inside.  It is different when you are out riding and 25mph wind so you let me know how bitter it is when you start riding in the Winter.  :lol:

Thanks for that.

Pretty funny saying 25 degrees is bitterly cold. Try some -40, like what we just came out of. Then 25 will seem like a heat wave. At -40 your car seat feels like a rock and the first few rolls your tires thump as the flat spot at the bottom takes a bit of time to round out.

The BIG saving grace is it is quite dry over here. -20 with humidity will feel like -40 in a dry climate.

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2010, 05:46 am by Levi »

Don_S

« Reply #247 on: 4 Jan 2010, 06:51 am »
Thanks for that.

Rocket_Ronny,

Have you gone over the bars once too many times without a helmet?  :scratch:  I have never heard of -20 with humidity. I would call that a "special green" day for sure.  Special Green is the cross country ski wax that is used for the coldest temperatures.  Normally used as the glide-wax but below a certain temp it is also used as the kick-wax.

Darn,  you are making me cold just thinking about it.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #248 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:10 am »
Thanks for that.

That's the NYC area for ya Ronny. 300 miles to the north, Burlington, Vermont had an alltime record of 32.9".  :o  Better ride that bike while you can Levi, winter has just started and your area is overdue for a dumping like all the major cities around you have already had.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #249 on: 4 Jan 2010, 04:36 pm »

I am knocking you Levi for being cold riding at 25 in the wind. I think it is great you are riding. Perhaps if I lived in a city I would stud my tires and ride, but for now I just ride in my head.

Don't think we do not go out when it is cold though. I rode my Scorpa Sy-250, 170 lbs of pure joy

with a friend, the fellow on the right below,  when it was about 15 to 20 F in the back country. We ended up having to end the ride with a 14 mile trek down a road at 40-50 miles and hour and I was dressed kind of light. Have not been that cold in a looong time. I mean body shaking cold.

Or, we go quading in the winter.

That day was around 0 F. I am taking the picture. The guy on the right is an absolute AN-Ni-Mahl on the quad. I told him I don't think it is humanly possible to ride the trails faster than he does. We both ride Can Am 800s that go 70 miles an hour but I can not keep up to him at all. I white knuckle it just to try and keep up.

Not to mention skiing. Ever been on a chair lift at -10 F? Not fun.

But my thoughts are now drifting to a warmer time when I can get out my skate and roll in some bowls.

Ahhh. Now that's better.   :lol:

Rocket_seems to like wheels for some reason_Ronny
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2010, 04:21 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #250 on: 7 Jan 2010, 06:06 am »

Look what I found. A picture of my bike. Well almost. It's a 2007 and has a different fork. Mine has the Boxer World Cup on it instead.

This bike just flows under you and gets out of the way. No matter how steep, or crazy it gets, this bikes inspires confidence. It's light and rails the corners. I love this thing.  :wink:

Here is a short review:
http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/bikeactive/index.php?cat=Supreme_DH

Rocket_Ronny   Only going to -20 F tonight. Almost a heat wave.

Levi

« Reply #251 on: 7 Jan 2010, 01:04 pm »
It looks like you have a heat wave! :lol:

That is a nice bike.  It only needs a 2-stroke engine and you can go moto. :thumb:

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #252 on: 7 Jan 2010, 04:19 pm »

That is a nice bike.  It only needs a 2-stroke engine and you can go moto

Ha, ha.

That is what the Scorpa Long Ride is for.

I do need to get a all mountain bike however. Right now I am using my wife's old Norco which I bought her 15 years ago. 32 lbs and no shocks. I like it though as it fits me nice.

For the kind of terrain we face cross country, lots of rough - with tree roots etc,  I want at least a 6" dual suspension bike. A Specialized Enduro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, or Trek Remedy would do nicely.

This year has been hard financially for us with the financial downturn, so getting a xc bike seems a harder reach with all the other expenses we face. 

Off topic, but anyone else affected by the downturn? Hold on to your shorts as I see it getting a lot worse before getting better.

Rocket_Ronny

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #253 on: 7 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm »
The Remedy is one of the best bikes I've ever rode. I had an Intense Uzzi VPX when I got the Remedy and was going to keep it for dh/fr, but after riding the Remedy a bit I realized it's a better gravity bike than the Uzzi 90% of the time. It's not as good of a plow bike, but that's all you're giving up. I just got the Session 88 a couple months ago, I might take it to a few dh races next year. It rides a lot like the Remedy.

I hear you about the economic downturn, our company has scaled back production for the 1st quarter of '10 and order intake is down.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #254 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:41 pm »

Thanks Dave:

What Remedy do you have? Do you remember the cost, if not a military secret?

So how old are you to be riding Down Hill?

Ever since I turned 40 I have been counting backwards. So I am coming 32 this year.  :lol:  One of the oldest DH'ers I know of. I took it up last year to ride with my son.

The initiation rite for DH is called P-A-I-N !!!!  But I am sort of used to that being and old school skate boarder. Sure is a boat load of fun though.

Rocket_DH_Ronny

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #255 on: 8 Jan 2010, 11:31 pm »
The remedy was an '08 Remedy 7 I picked up after last x-mas for $1900. I hit a tree riding at Keystone this summer and seriously dented the frame and broke my arm. I got a crash replacement for 25% under dealer cost, so it's now a '09 Remedy 9. There's not a whole lot of parts left from original.

I turned 35 this year, been riding dh for a few years now, although the Session 88 is my first true dh bike. I used to skate when I was a kid, wish I would've got a bmx bike too... I've been a skiier since I was a kid and snowboarder since '93. I've been riding a mtb (trail bike) since '04 The broken arm was the first major injury I've got, hopefully the last. Riding DH is very physically demanding, I think you need to be in top shape physically and mentally to avoid injury. Wearing lots of pads helps too  :green:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #256 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:06 am »
Wow, Rocket R, that Scorpa SY-250 is one sweet looking trials bike!

I haven't been keeping up on these things recently, so I wasn't aware of its existence.

I bet it's a treat to ride.

Carlman

« Reply #257 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:59 am »
I've ridden every day but 1 this week.. It's been a bit colder than I like.. Today was 30, brr.. but it got down to the 20's quickly double brrrrr.  It's neat riding over ice-puddles and leaves crunchy with ice, though. ;)

Glad you're getting out there.  I'm waiting on some toe warmers to come in the mail.  I've been using the chemical packets in my shoes for warmth.. working great!  My toes and fingers seem to be the most challenging things to keep warm.

BTW, I built up a single speed and have been riding that a lot too.. fun times!  (Fetish 26")

It's nice to burn the extra calories of it being cold.. keep on ridin'!

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #258 on: 10 Jan 2010, 01:15 am »

Hi Russell:

Did you end up with a Metric Halo ULN 8 yet? I know you want one, me too. I  just put a 2D card in may 2882 and will do the same to the ULN-2. Metric Halo R U L E S.

Yes, the Scorpa is fun. I call it my Discovery Machine, as it takes me places that other bikes would not. It is the only trials bike I know of that has a seat, well sort of a seat, and an extra large tank. For a trials bike that is.

But I have to admit. Going motorless - gravity fed DH that is - down mountain, or resort, trails is even better.   8)

Did you ever ride trials? You should where you live.

Rocket_ULN 8_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #259 on: 10 Jan 2010, 01:49 am »
Hey Carl,

Good to hear from you. What bike(s) do you have?

I rode my bike today @30F. :lol: