PMC OB1 [my new reference]

Levi

PMC OB1 [my new reference]
« on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

I found my new reference speakers.  My new PMC OB1 speakers in black ash!  :rock: 

I bought it from a PMC Authorized dealer with 5 yrs warranty. 

Cheers,
Levi

mcullinan

Re: PMC OB1 [my new reference]
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:01 pm »
Wow. Are these the floorstanders Levi? And are these the updated version, or the older models?
Mike

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:39 pm »
This is the one reviewed here Thanks!

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:48 pm »
This is the one reviewed here Thanks!

I didn't realize you were in the market, Levi.  However, CONGRATULATIONS!  I hope I can make your Rave to hear them.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:55 pm »
Thanks!

predrag

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2009, 07:56 pm »
Congratulatins Levi!

Untill a few months ago they were my reference speakers as well.
In a small to medium sized room you will be very happy with them.

Good luck!

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2009, 01:39 am »
I first auditioned the FB1+ and I really like it's sonic qualities.  Sonically the FB1+ is much better than my Sonus Faber Grand Piano.   Then I listened to the OB1 and that pretty much sold me. 

The OB1 sounded even better as soon as I got it setup in my medium sized living room.

I am sure as you go up the PMC line, the better its sonics.  Good setup and synergy helps.

Thanks!

Emil

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:44 am »
Hi Guys,

I found my new reference speakers.  My new PMC OB1 speakers in black ash!  :rock: 

I bought it from a PMC Authorized dealer with 5 yrs warranty. 

Cheers,
Levi

Nice to buy new once in a while :thumb: Love that new gear smell :lol:

Who was the dealer?

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:54 am »
It's great!  I bought the OB1 from Raybeatav in Scotch Plains, New Jersey. 

Frisco

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:31 am »
Levi....congrats on your OB1's :thumb:  I have the little brother....GB1 i's and they sound smooth, natural and non-fatiguing. I have yet to hear the higher models but I'm sure they sound just as good or better.

Happy Listening :green:

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:51 am »
Thanks!

Happy Listening indeed :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:11 am »
I hope they'll be well broke in by RAVE time Levi. I've always wanted to hear a  PMC loudspeaker. :hyper: I've also wanted hear your Sonus Fabers too. :)

Cheers,
Robin

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:18 am »
They should be broken in by then. 

nobel

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2009, 04:45 pm »

The problem with Ob1 speakers is that they demand alot of current. Initially I had them paired with 70 watts Exposure power amp and they sounded bland. It is only when paired with Bryston 4bsst that I realised why people were making a fuss of them. In an average size living room they have more that enough bass that going up one to the EB1 would I think overwhelm the room. You should look for a minimum of 150 watts to drive this speaker.

Also you would heed great benefit if at a later stage you include the BP26 for synergy. In my system what is letting me down is the Exposure CD player. I plan to audition bryston CD player against the more expensive Marantz SA7s1 and upgrade the interconnect cable between the pre and power amp.

That's the problem Ii find with upgrading is that you don't reap the benefits of these speakers until you make drastic changes to the rest of the system. The idea behind this is to seek out the full potential of the OB1's which will get you to music in heaven.

But certainly you have made the right choice

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:00 am »

The problem with Ob1 speakers is that they demand alot of current. Initially I had them paired with 70 watts Exposure power amp and they sounded bland. It is only when paired with Bryston 4bsst that I realised why people were making a fuss of them. In an average size living room they have more that enough bass that going up one to the EB1 would I think overwhelm the room. You should look for a minimum of 150 watts to drive this speaker.

Also you would heed great benefit if at a later stage you include the BP26 for synergy. In my system what is letting me down is the Exposure CD player. I plan to audition bryston CD player against the more expensive Marantz SA7s1 and upgrade the interconnect cable between the pre and power amp.

That's the problem Ii find with upgrading is that you don't reap the benefits of these speakers until you make drastic changes to the rest of the system. The idea behind this is to seek out the full potential of the OB1's which will get you to music in heaven.

But certainly you have made the right choice

Yes the OB1i does demand a certain quality of component in order to achieve it's potential...  That said there are a number of manufacturers that PMC can be paired with to your great satisfaction.

The neutrality brought on by the ATl, and the fact we voice our models with very clean Bryston power beckons PMC users to step up to a certain level of playback.  We did after all get our start in the Pro side where only the absolute best are tolerated. 8)

nobel

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:04 pm »

A further point which I discovered about the Ob1 is that they are critical of positioning. I think more so than the average. Initially I had placed mine either side of the fire place which is approx 24 inches apart. On many Cd's the sound seemed a touched closed in and i was blaming my interconnects as such. But I moved them further apart and amazingly there was much more air and space between the voice and musicians at the expense of less bass which isn't a bad thing as i find that too much bass restrains the midrange.

In order for the speakers to move easily I had cut via a jigsaw the same style metal base of the speaker in wood and put the spikes on this so that experimentation could be made that much easier without having a great deal of holes on the wooden floor. They are solid.

So with these speakers there is great room for experimentation from having too much bass to softening this by moving the speakers.