Cheap efficient bookshelf speakers?

mike1964

Cheap efficient bookshelf speakers?
« on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:04 am »
I'm in the market for a really cheap (think dorm room for the daughter) relatively efficient speakers, bookshelf-sized, to pair with a T-amp (specs say 15 watts, but in reality less than 10).  Any thoughts?   

Mike
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2009, 03:27 am by mike1964 »

mightym

Re: Cheap efficient bookshelf speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:23 am »
Help us out, define Really Cheap.

Would a pair of Fostex fe127's in a simple BR box be too much?

How 'bout a pair of Pioneer A11's in  a simple BR Box?

hobbyhands

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:29 am »
Also are you looking to buy or make? 

Also an interesting thought. As a general rule, most Women don't seem to care as much about fidelity as us men? Not all mind you, but I would say most. As an example. My wife can tell the difference between hifi and standard speakers, but would be just as happy with with a small combo cd speaker system in the room.

So maybe you can get away with something under $100 from the shack or other box store.

The irony is women as a general rule have better hearing then use men.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:37 am »
The irony is women as a general rule have better hearing then use men.
Unfortunately this is true. And smell then?

mike1964

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:01 am »
Dorm room cheap, so less than $100, used might be better than new.  Building boxes would be too much effort for this project, but buying a kit box and assembling the speakers would be OK, or using old donor speakers and replacing drivers.  They certainly don't need to sound as good as my Fostex FE168s.

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:11 am »
Go to best buy and pick up a pair of insignia bookshelves for 80 bones.  If you want to improve integrity and bass reinforcement fo rless than a bill.  fill the cabinet with cement and sawdust mix and add more polyfill behind the driver.  they sound awesome and are relatively efficient, 90ish db/1m.

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:18 am »
Oops.  Removed. 
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2009, 04:49 am by ltr317 »

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2009, 04:38 am »
Since this is the single-driver circle you are obviously looking for single-driver speakers. Perhaps the JohnBlue JB3 then. Or this kit from CSS and a cabinet from Parts Express - http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EL70KITP1

mike1964

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:10 pm »
Oops.  Removed.
The Hsu was a great suggestion, just a bit out of budget and not so common pre-owned.  Thanks anyway.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:26 pm »
The Audio Advisor has a pair of Energy C-50's for $85 in black. Freq is stated at 65 to 20k, 88db sensitivity, 8.75" high, 5.75" wide and 8" deep. You can get the Cherry version for $95.

www.audioadvisor.com

Wayner  8)

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:32 pm »
But it's a two-way.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2009, 07:20 pm »
Keep the grill on  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2009, 09:42 pm »
It's still a two way. And this is the single-driver circle.

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2009, 10:32 pm »
John,

He's never going to find a single drive speaker for under $100 unless he changes his requirements. There are drivers out there but he'd have to build a box, which he doesn't want to do.

I work on outcome based solutions.

So what comes first? Stick to the circle's fulfillment, or try to help the guy out?

Wayner

jk@home

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2009, 12:02 am »
Go to best buy and pick up a pair of insignia bookshelves for 80 bones.  If you want to improve integrity and bass reinforcement fo rless than a bill.  fill the cabinet with cement and sawdust mix and add more polyfill behind the driver.  they sound awesome and are relatively efficient, 90ish db/1m.

My son's (almost) a junior in college, he likes his Insignias from BB, using a HSU sub to help out. He's using a Harman Kardon receiver to drive them, but we did try them out on my Bottlehead SEX amp. Nicely finished speakers for the $. I would pair them up with something with tones controls, and leave it at that.

mca

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2009, 12:28 am »
Mike1964,

Are you looking for single driver speakers? My bet is no, and I would go the route others have said, go to BB and get a pair of the Insignias  :thumb:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:00 am »
I'm in the market for a really cheap (think dorm room for the daughter) relatively efficient speakers, bookshelf-sized, to pair with a T-amp (specs say 15 watts, but in reality less than 10).  Any thoughts?

Pick up a couple of the RS Series from Parts Express.   They are $25 each, and in a small ported cabinet would make a nice little full-range. 

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-358&ctab=2#Tabs

I'd probably put a notch on that break-up but otherwise you could do this without a crossover.   The notch is just three components, inductor, resistor cap to knock down that break-up at 15K.    It won't effect the system efficiency.   Contrary to popular opinion crossovers don't necessarily knock down sensitivity unless you design them for that purpose.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:06 am »
Mike1964,

Are you looking for single driver speakers? My bet is no, and I would go the route others have said, go to BB and get a pair of the Insignias  :thumb:

That works too.   You don't have to build anything. 

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:25 am »
Pick up a couple of the RS Series from Parts Express.   They are $25 each, and in a small ported cabinet would make a nice little full-range. 

Kevin, wouldn't the Qts of 0.87 make ported unworkable?

mike1964

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:24 am »
Mike1964,

Ideally, yes, single drivers.  I'm working with very minimal power output so need something easy to drive.  Saw a pair of cheap used C-V two-ways with horn tweeter that (94db efficiency) that might work, but am trying to do it with a full range driver.  Just in case I end up with them myself...