Off to Mizzou

Wayne1

Off to Mizzou
« on: 16 Aug 2009, 09:49 pm »
It's that time of year when parents get to move their offsping back to school.

I'll be in Columbia, MO this coming week. My daughter is getting an off campus apartment and I have been asked to bring far too much stuff out to her.

She is getting some nice vintage gear to play tunes on. I rebuilt a pair of Wharfdale W60Ds with Larger Advent woofers, JBL waveguides and Selenium D220ti compression drivers.

Powered by a very minty Sansui AU-719.

I'll be back in Colorado and ready to go on the 21st.

pbrstreetgang

Re: Off to Mizzou
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2009, 09:53 pm »
She went out of state and not to CU?

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2009, 10:12 pm »
See you in a few Wayne, btw everyone don't be fooled by their beat up appearance. Those Wharfdales sound damn amazing. They blew me away when I was over last time.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:08 am »
She is majoring in Journalism. Mizzou is about the best public school for Journalism. They just opened up a multi-million $ building dedicated to Convergence Journalism, which is her particular sub-category.

Even paying out of state fees, her first two years were comparable in cost to going to Boulder. She stayed in Columbia this summer so she should be able to qualify for residency. That should save a few grand  :wink:

Jason, you must be blind.  :roll:

The speakers you heard were my modified Advents. These are using the same drivers and crossover, but a completely different cabinet. The Wharfdale W60D was made from 1968-1972. it was a 12" three way design. The special thing about this series was the cabinet construction. Each one weighs 47 lbs. The back panel is sand filled. The cabinet is finished with English Oak Veneer.

Here is an image from the web of what they looked like stock

I bought these from my local Goodwill for $30.00 for the pair. I sanded down the cabinets and refinished them with Tung Oil. I cut out the openings for the waveguide and painted the front baffles flat black. I dampened the waveguide and woofers with rope caulk.

The crossovers were scratch built with air core coils and Dayton PP caps. Internal wired with my M-80 cable.

I was able to but out the grille openings to fit waveguide. I think they look great with the grilles on. A real sleeper.

I set these up in my garage with the Sansui before loading them in the van. Really, really nice. Very dynamic. Lots of low end and clean, clear highs. I think she will be really happy with this system. I'll try to take pictures of it in situ.

I am going to re-build the Advents with upgraded crossovers using Sonicaps and foil coils. I will be using the B&C DE-250 compression driver.

Lyndon

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:14 am »
Wayne,
It is such a small world. I wonder if your daughter will have my sister as one of her teachers, as
she is in the journalism department as well.   :o
Thanks so much for the photo and details on those old speakers.  Always nice to see someone breathe new life into some old gear.
Lyndon

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:22 am »
Lyndon,

Thanks for the comments  :D

If you would care to, please PM me with your sister's name. I mention it to my daughter.

BTW, I updated my post with a picture of the speaker in it's stock form and with the grilles on.

Lyndon

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2009, 12:28 am »
PM sent, Wayne.
She was very busy with many of the journalism students this summer in NYC.  In fact, one of the few days she took time off, was when the New York AC guys invited her to the rave in Connecticut.
She had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the food, though the music was a little loud.
(Sound familiar?) :icon_lol:

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:02 am »
I may be blind but I know a good sounding retro when I hear it. ;)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:03 am »
Hey Wayne,
If you're willing to drive another short bit east, drop me a line.
I'd love to have you over.

Bob

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2009, 02:40 am »
Bob,

I made the mistake of visiting the St. Louis area in August once before.

Never again  :nono:

I am enjoying the mid 80's with max of 30 % humidity here in CO.

It will be hard enough to handle the same temps with 90+ humidity in Columbia.

You are welcome to take the short drive west and meet up with us.

Flat Rock Brewing Company does serve some very nice beers.  :thumb:

I am looking forward to my daughter's and her roommate's comments when I hook up 40 year old speaker cabinets to a 30 year old amp playing from their iPods. A modded SqueezeBox 3 will be making the trip.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:24 pm »
Understood Wayne, but that's why my wife calls me "cave boy", because I hide in my room when the weather's that nasty.  :lol:
Not sure I'll have time this week to make it out, I'm in the middle of several projects. Some for me, a couple for other folks. Depends on how much I get done.
Would be great to see you and Kelsey again (how's the car doing?) and taste some Flat Rock.

That's a lucky gal to have such cool equipment in her dorm room.  aa

Bob

EDIT: You're leaving Thursday, right?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2009, 01:44 am »
Wayne,

Congratulations and best of luck to your daughter. She has picked a great school in one of the best college towns in America. Its Journalism school can stand toe to toe with Columbia, Northwestern or any other J-school. It has the best broadcast journalism program in America. Mizzou grads in broadcasting comptete for jobs that normally require 2-4 years experience. I spent 7 years of my life in Columbia from 66-70 (undergrad) and 71-74 (law) and had a great time. Plus, Mizzou has a great football and basketball program again!

Everyone will want to come to her apt to listen to music. Lucky girl!

Go Tigers!

jazdoc

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2009, 03:59 am »
If you get hot and thirsty head to Harpo's.  If you are hungry and thirsty...Shakespeare's Pizza!  Congratulations to you and your daughter.  Columbia is a nice college town and my wife's hometown.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:42 pm »
If you get hot and thirsty head to Harpo's.  If you are hungry and thirsty...Shakespeare's Pizza!  Congratulations to you and your daughter.  Columbia is a nice college town and my wife's hometown.

Both are great recommendations. Harpo's was a 2nd home during law school. The old Heidleberg and Booches Pool Hall on 9th are must see places. Booches cheeseburgers are among the best in the country.

Columbia is the home of the original Disc Washer vinyl cleaning brush and liquid. Most of my 60's and early 70's records were purchased at Tiger Records on 8th between Broadway and the campus ($3.98 and $4.98) and for a colege student, that was a lot of money.

Enjoy!

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2009, 02:58 pm »
Thanks for all the comments!.

We ended up staying an extra day to help her get settled in. She has a very nice apartment on the east side of campus. It looks to have been an older home converted to apartments. Rather creaky wooden floors and worn out 2 conductor AC outlets. The system was set up and working the first day.

For their purposes, the SB3 won't work. They have no main media computer. For now they have lines run so they can plug their computers into the amp, the Wii, and the TV. I did order an inexpensive iPod dock so they can put that into the system.

High speed internet was installed the first day. I hooked them up to an Apple Time Capsule so they are ready to stream from the 'net. Internet access in rather inexpensive in Columbia. Only $25.00 a month for cable 'net. The girls declined to get the cable TV package and will just stream to their MacBooks

Down the road, who knows? It will be a file server of some kind. The modded Wharfdales sounded great in that space. Clean output down to the upper 20s or lower 30s. Great dispersion from the waveguide.

I'll try to post a pic of the system set-up later in the week.

One night we went out for dinner at the Prison Brewpub in Jefferson City (great sweet potato fries served with cinnamon and brown sugar) . On the way there, it was very entertaining to listen to the two room mates talk about their major and all the work they have to do. Both are convergence Journalism majors. Both have not take a summer off since they started. They were being a bit catty when referring to other students mentioning that they would like to "try" Convergence. The girls comments were if your think you can "try" it, you have already failed. It was great to see their commitment.

vinyl_lady,

Thanks for your suggestions. Shakespeare's Pizza is a campus institution, but I am afraid I do no care for it. Being raised in the NY 'burbs, I am rather predisposed to NYC style pizza. My daughter's roomy is from Chicago and rather picky about TRUE pizza  :wink:

I was not aware that Discwasher started in Columbia. I wore out quite a few of the pads and went through a few gallons of cleaner in the 70s-90s.

There are still used music stores in Columbia. I find that fascinating. In the Denver metro area there are only 2-3.

mgalusha

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2009, 02:50 am »
Sounds like you had a great trip. Welcome back. :)

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2009, 01:18 pm »
Thanks, Mike.

Now I have lot of projects to catch up on.

Thanks for sending over the tubes.

Wayne