Tempest phono stage loading?

robbiesurp

Tempest phono stage loading?
« on: 16 Aug 2009, 01:30 pm »
Has any one had the loading changed on the Tempest? Is there some kind of mod to add a variable loading arrangement or is it a one time internal resistor change? Is there some way to add resistor plugs to the second set of inputs?

I know that I need to call Klaus, I'm just curious if anyone has experience with this.

I need to go from the stock 70 ohms to about 300 ohms. I'd like to try a Benz Wood L2 and I think the 70 ohms setting will be too low.

eibhlin

Re: Tempest phono stage loading?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2009, 01:39 am »
Good question. I'd bet you can have your preamp shipped out to Indy (each time you change a cart or feel the need) for internal changes, which is a workaround and a nice option if you're local to Indy - might be expensive / sucky if you're not. For the Tempest's purchase price, that seems your best bet outside of voiding the warranty and doing your own / DIY work, as I've read UPS handling with Indy / shipping charges both ways are problematic.

Other phono preamp units that offer a more sophisticated variety of options might be something to consider, too, if you've got the green. Then, there's one vendor that currently offers a standalone phono pre, but I haven't read any Odyssey owners A-B this piece as of this writing; I note the vendor's unit seems to have had good reviews - it's a relatively low cost unit; however, your issue of sending the unit to the builder for cartridge related changes is not ameliorated. Reading this forum finds that the manufacturer's customer service seems highly rated, but the potential damage in shipping / shipping cost issues are something to consider. Good luck.

Are U running MM or MC? I understand the Tempest can at some level handle both types.