HHG Stands - Something New- Quartersawn Sapele shelves

ammisco11

• Industry Participant
  • www.hhgstands.com
    • HHG Stands
Sometimes you just find a board that is too beautiful to pass up.
The shelf (19"x16") is made from Quartersawn Sapele.  The original board was 20" wide and 7 feet long.  The figure is amazing!  I have 3 more shelves available.

The frame is solid Cherry. 
I'm picking up a Tigerwood board tomorrow 16" wide and 13 feet long also quartersawn with vivid colors.

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 04:29 pm by ammisco11 »

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Re: HHG Stands - Something New- Quartersawn Sapele shelves
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm »
Those stands look fantastic!  Andy is a true craftsman; his designs are beautiful, functional and built to last. You'll be very happy buying custom component racks from Andy.  :thumb:

ammisco11

• Industry Participant
  • www.hhgstands.com
    • HHG Stands
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:09 am »
Those stands look fantastic!  Andy is a true craftsman; his designs are beautiful, functional and built to last. You'll be very happy buying custom component racks from Andy.  :thumb:

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the plug.  Hope things are going well.

I am running a special on Cherry stands $220 for the month of Sept,
up to 18"x15" granite insert.   Sapele insert add $80

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:52 am »
Ok, just a question.  Why wouldn't you put the sapele on the outside so you can see it?

ammisco11

• Industry Participant
  • www.hhgstands.com
    • HHG Stands
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2009, 02:18 am »
Ok, just a question.  Why wouldn't you put the Sapele on the outside so you can see it?
Funny you should ask.  I just bought a bunch of flat sawn Sapele to make into frames.
I've been waiting for a lull in business to make them.  I'll post a pic as soon as I finish one.

Cutting the wide quartersawn Sapele into thin strips to use as a frame would be a sin.  The rails on an HHG Stand are about 2-3/16" wide.  It would be kind of like taking my Kimber Monicles and cutting them up and using them as interconnects (best audio analogy I can think of).  The board being as wide as it is is best utilized as a table top, a wide face, door, or shelf.  Custom furniture shops fight over boards like this.  Luckily I'm in pretty good with my wood suppliers.

I do have a bunch of Quartersawn Mahagany that would compliment the Sapele well if anyone is interested.  I can also locate more quartersawn Sapele if someone wanted a solid quartersawn stand. 

One thing that I love about my business is every piece of wood is unique and the trick is finding just the right project for each piece.

ammisco11

• Industry Participant
  • www.hhgstands.com
    • HHG Stands
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2009, 03:11 am »
Ok, just a question.  Why wouldn't you put the sapele on the outside so you can see it?
"Ask and you shall receive"
Well not always, but I did finally get a few moments in the shop to to slap a few Sapele boards together. 
Rails are Sapele, Walnut Posts, and a solid piece of Sapele shelf insert.

Thanks for the idea Max.

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 04:28 pm by ammisco11 »