USCA Scam Award, Beware!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
USCA Scam Award, Beware!
« on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:00 pm »
I received a nice e-mail this morning from the US Commerce Association, informing me that I was being awarded the "Best Small Audio Business in Woodbury" award and to simply fill in the requested info. to get my nice award plaque and a press release for my local newspaper.

A careful web search uncovered the information that the e-mail is a simple scam, they just want to sell you a plaque for $179 or so after you send back the required information.  I was informed that they have no professional standing or any real criteria for their selections.

It might be a nice plaque, but it means nothing at all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

BrianP

Re: USCA Scam Award, Beware!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2009, 08:58 pm »
The company where I work (a publishing co. in Oregon) has also received those USCA "award" notifications, as have hundreds of others across the US. It's essentially meaningless, but undoubtedly some folks will fall for it.

A certain purveyor of highly dubious pseudoscientific audio tweaks recently fell for it, and proudly declares so on his website. Somehow, this seems entirely appropriate -- a scam award for a scam business.

srb

Re: USCA Scam Award, Beware!
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2009, 09:39 pm »
I received a nice e-mail this morning from the US Commerce Association, informing me that I was being awarded the "Best Small Audio Business in Woodbury" award

Frank, that's a more prestigious recognition than the lesser "Best Small Audio Business in the 2000 Block of Brittany Lane in Woodbury" award!

A certain purveyor of highly dubious pseudoscientific audio tweaks recently fell for it, and proudly declares so on his website.

Well, he is out his 179 bucks, so might as well squeeze out what little value there is!

Steve