HT3 with Hybrid Integrated Amp

revrob

HT3 with Hybrid Integrated Amp
« on: 10 Aug 2009, 07:04 pm »
All,

I will be picking up my HT3's this week from a fellow Audiogoner. I was wondering if anyone has used a Hybrid Integrated with the HT3's? My system will be the LSA Signature integrated amplifier measured at 180 watts per channel and a Cary 306/200 cd player.

I believing that the tube preamp and the solid state amp will mate nicely with the HT3's.

Thanks,
Steve

revrob

Re: HT3 with Hybrid Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:10 am »
No one uses a Hybrid integrated with the HT3's? How about with any of the Salk speakers? Curious.

Thanks,
Steve

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:01 am »
I have a tube pre and a Solid State amp driving ST's. The result is great, although I understand that Salk speakers are not picky. I think AC'ers use tubes with Salk quite successfully.
Good luck!

bahorn1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:29 am »
Hey Steve,

I don't recall reading that anyone has tried a hybrid integrated with the HT3's.  I can't imagine you'd have an issue though.  180 wpc could be a little low but depends on the size of your listening room, musical tastes, etc.

So far, I've tried a tube pre (Dodd battery pre) with both a SS amp (McCormack 225) and a hybrid amp (Moscode 401HR) with my HT3's.  I prefer the Dodd/Moscode combination, which sounds fantastic with the HT3's.  (I know others have tried this combination too).

--Doug

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm »
So far, I've tried a tube pre (Dodd battery pre) with both a SS amp (McCormack 225) and a hybrid amp (Moscode 401HR) with my HT3's.  I prefer the Dodd/Moscode combination, which sounds fantastic with the HT3's.  (I know others have tried this combination too).

Thanks for posting that.  I was wondering how the McCormack compared with the Dodd.   I tried the Moscode and McCormack with my Tact 2.2x preamp and prefered the Moscode too for digital.  Strange, the McCormack 225 seemed to work better with my Minimax Phonostage though.  Since I listen mostly to vinyl, I passed on the Moscode.   

Bob

jjgasp

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2009, 08:23 pm »
I have a Butler 5150 hybrid amp running my HT3s (bi-amped with a QTC amp for the woofers), HTC, and HT1s (Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro).  It sounds very nice.

earthbound

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2009, 11:10 pm »
I'm using a Denon 3808CI 7.1 channel A/V receiver (I can feel some of you cringing) which at this time is only firing on two channels into my HT2-TLs. Sounds fantastic, or even better then fantastic to me! I considered getting the HT3 but I probably would have needed a better amp, more money, and a bigger room. Other than that . . .

Added @ 7:43 pm est:
I am using the direct signal path in the Denon - no Audyssey or any other manipulation of the sound. When I went through the Audyssey setup with the included mic the hi freq literally disappeared!

revrob

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:50 am »
Well tomorrow is the Big Day. I will be picking up my Salk HT3's from Luke and plan on doing some serious listening. I am looking forward to have these speakers in my system. I have spent the last year trying to put together a system I could live with for the next 5 to 10 years and I believe I have found it.

If anyone is interested I will post my finding in the next few days or so.

Peace,
Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:47 am »
Steve:

Looking forward to your impressions.  You have some very fine equipment, and I suspect that your system will be fantastic.

fsimms

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2009, 06:30 pm »
I believing that the tube preamp and the solid state amp will mate nicely with the HT3's.

One of the favorite parings around here is the Moscode HR1 amp.  It has a tube input and solid state output.   Your LSA promises to be an ideal match.

If anyone is interested I will post my finding in the next few days or so.

All of us are probably just like you.  I am sure you love to read our opinions on the HT3's and we feel the same way about you.  Looking forward to your posts.

Bob

revrob

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2009, 04:32 pm »
Received the HT3 yesterday afternoon and still trying to find the right placement. That being said the LSA integrated has more than enough power. I only feel the Salk are only slightly less efficient than the 94db Legacies, go figure. I never pushed the levels past 10 o'clock and it was plenty loud.

I also love the ability to listen at very low levels and theses speakers do not disappoint at any level that I have so far experienced. The sound is deceiving especially at louder levels because you really don't know how loud the speakers are playing because it fill the room with extraordinary sound.

The wife: She absolutely loves them compared to the Legacy. She said they fit in nicely with "her" living room and they look elegant.

I will post some more details in the next few weeks. I am going to changed the tubes in my integrated from the Chinese stock to Siemens ECC88 gold pins.

Great to be a part of the family.

Steve

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2009, 04:56 pm »
Happy to hear all is going well so far.  I would question the 94 dB spec for the Legacy, though.  That would make the HT3 around 9 dB less sensitive, which means in theory it should require something like 8 times as much power. (It takes twice as much power for each 3 dB difference in sensitivity.) 

revrob

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2009, 05:30 pm »
Dennis,

I thought the same thing concerning the sensitivity. It makes me think about the truthfulness of most manufacturers speaker's ratings. It makes me appreciate the Salks more. I really thought I would have a power problem given the differences in sensitivity but that is not the case are all. There maybe a slight difference but nowhere near twice as much let alone 8x as much.

The 180 watts per channel measured from my integrated is definitely enough power.

Thanks,
Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2009, 05:35 pm »
Steve:

Glad that you like the HT3.  Welcome to the Salk "family".

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2009, 09:41 pm »
glad to hear it worked nicely with your integrated

my friend has a plinus integrated and I'd suggesting he step up to some salks next

I use a moscode hybrid amp with my salks - it's a wonderful match as doug (bahorn1) and other's have stated here