Wadia 170i Ipod server

Ultima GTR Guy

Wadia 170i Ipod server
« on: 10 Aug 2009, 04:54 am »
What is the difference with me serving my Bel Canto DAC3 from my iTunes iMac using a USB cable versus the Wadia 170i and its digital RCA cable? This obviously assumes using the same program material (Apple Lossless). Does the sound delivered to the dac improve by using the Wadia or is it better using the Mac?

Thanks,
Paul

Crimson

Re: Wadia 170i Ipod server
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm »
Hello, and welcome!

Assuming both the Mac and Wadia are both feeding the same dac, you may not hear a difference unless one of the interfaces is improperly implemented. That said, my personal preference would not be the Wadia due to limitations with it's storage capacity (i.e. you're limited to the storage capacity of an iPod) and other tweakable items not avaiable with an iPod.

chrisby

Re: Wadia 170i Ipod server
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2009, 04:13 pm »
From a non-user's point of view, the big "advantage" of the Wadia is the ability to separate a desk top computer system from your audio gear, either in different rooms or buildings. Not everyone wants all their tech gear in the same place, and standards for a single "perfect(ly) wireless" environment have yet to be adopted, so for now, I think we're stuck with hardwire configuration of some sort when searching for the maximum resolution.  Of course, which of those is best is a whole other debate (which is what these forums are all about)

I know a couple of folks using a hardwired USB or Firewire DAC with their MacBooks, but iPod /iPhone is certainly an even more conveniently portable (as in pocketable) device.   Personally, I'm awaiting an affordable voice activated Bluetooth enabled iPhone that can connect with an indash car audio system, as well as an app that will monitor my wife's libido and synchronize the release from my Tadalafil skin patch. 

but I digress

While there are probably several times more 3rd party iPod compatible adapters, docks etc sold than those officially stamped with the Apple logo on the box, I believe you'll find that the Wadia is the first product licensed to access the devices' digital stream.

Of course, that doesn't mean that compromises won't be made inside the box, and that sonic performance will depend on the interconnecting cabling and outboard DAC.  It should be no surprise that mods and tweaks are available for the Wadia, including a complete built in DAC.

http://www.asi-tek.com/wadia2.html

Like any gonzo tweakoid project, it would be easy to invest several times the original device's purchase price. There is of course, no guarantee that any such sum would ensure improved objective or subjective performance, or avoid obsolescence.