First Exodus Audio Kit Speaker

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« on: 29 Dec 2003, 07:55 pm »
We have been long overdue in getting these released (nothing new).   Suffice to say that there has been several hurdles with getting the new XBL^2 drivers built to our standards.

Anyway... we will have a prototype pair playing at CES in the Adire room powered by the new LC Audio digital amplifier.  

These speakers are going to set new standards in the industry in several categories.   I know this is a bold claim but we are backing this up with measurements.  I know... I know.   Measurements don't mean much too many audiophiles but at least they can give you a reason to give a particular speaker a listen.  The XBL^2 motor is the key to many of these ground breaking engineering accomplishments.  Thanks go out to Dan Wiggins, Dr. David Hyre and gang for this little beast.  Wow is it a killer.....

Our first design is an MTM using a new XBL^2 7" driver with T/S parameters very similar to a couple well-known Danish drivers. ;)  What sets it apart is the monster excursion (11-13mm one way), flat BL curve and extremely low inductance.   These drivers are ruler flat out to about 5K so crossover design is greatly simplified.  Distortion is off the charts lower than any 6.5" or 7" driver in existence.  

The prototype speakers are using a pair of Aurum Cantus ribbons.  I think for our production product we will be looking at several other options.  We would like to use the XBL^2 motor technology on all drivers.   There is a promising dome tweeter that might fit the bill and another ribbon tweeter that might work for us.  We have yet to finalize a choice.

The frequency response of the completed prototype speaker is +/- 1.25 dB from 100 Hz to 20 kHz - really flat.

The impedance, you'll love - +/- 0.3 Ohms from 100 Hz to 20 kHz.  It's low
is 9.6 Ohms, high is 10.2 Ohms.  That is FLAT - any amp will love this unit!

System efficiency is pretty good, at 93.1 dB SPL @ 1W, 1m.  So a 3-5W amp may not be enough, but 10-15W will get it up and going.

This prototype design is a 1.0 cu. ft. PE sealed cabinet and we are getting F3 numbers down around 50HZ.  With a ported design we can stretch another half octave or so....   The massive displacement of the two new drivers’ is key in getting this much extension in a small box while keeping efficiency high.  The distortion figures are stunning.....

Anyway... drop in Adire's room at CES if you want to give them a listen.

Andrew JC

« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2003, 08:22 pm »
Kevin, Looks interesting any idea on price? Thanks...andy

Kevin P

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2003, 09:09 pm »
Too early to tell.... our design goal is under $1000/pr including finished enclosures.   I'd like to hit about $750-$800/pr but it depends on where cost on the tweeters comes in and the cost of the crossover.  The Aurum Cantus units are pricey at $169 each so if we used them the price would be over our $1000 self imposed limit.

We are also going to utilize some new caps developed by ICW, which are the result of a research project.   I don't have pricing on caps, drivers or even which tweeter design we are going to use yet so pricing is obviously in limbo. ;)

Jason1

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2003, 09:39 pm »
Hi-Vi makes some lower priced ribbons that are found in some well regarded speakers.

The $65 RT1C-A found in Reimer's GS line.

The $97 RT2C-A found in Coincident's UHS line.

Kevin P

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2003, 09:57 pm »
I'm not necessarily sold on ribbons.  We would like to do an XBL^2 tweeter so what we end up with will likely be a custom unit..... ribbon or dome.

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2003, 12:31 am »
Sounds very promising, Kevin.
What are you thinking for xover frequency and order?
I hope you will be able to make a demo/audition pair available to fellow AC members  :wink:

Kevin P

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2003, 04:51 am »
audiojerry:  To early to come up with any policy but I've been discouraged from past experiences of sending out equipment.   I'll hit some audio shows with them, do the review thing but I'm not enthused about sending units around.  

The crossover in the prototype unit that is going to CES has a 6th Order LR crossed over at about 2500HZ.   That will change obviously on the production unit depending upon our choice of tweet.