Second CD Player?

1ZIP

Second CD Player?
« on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:07 am »
I've set up a second system using my BP-60, an old Sony CD player and a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's v4.  I want to replace the Sony with something under $1000.00.  I'm thinking of a used ARCAM 36 but haven't heard much about the unit if used with Bryston and Paradigm.  Anyone have experience with that arrangement?  Or any suggestions other than ARCAM?

doorman

Re: Second CD Player?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2009, 04:23 am »

werd

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2009, 05:06 am »
http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm
Don

that looks interesting, i would like to hear that player.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2009, 07:36 pm »
I like my Onkyo DX-7555. Check google for reviews and info.

doorman

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2009, 10:03 pm »
http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm
Don

that looks interesting, i would like to hear that player.
The Decware ZCD is one h#lluva player.
They also have a 30 day return policy, so all that's at risk is postage!
Happy Hunting--
Don

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2009, 11:17 pm »
You guys like tubes?  :?

Robert D

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2009, 12:46 am »
My sister in law just Hers all tied up
They can no longer be used

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2009, 12:47 am »
I forgot to say No

Robert

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:23 am »
The ZCD does sound interesting and with a 30 day return policy it might be worth a listen and the price is reasonable.

That having been said my one and only experience with introducing "tube" into an all SS Bryston system has not been good, (ref. a short flirtation with a McIntosh pre-amp).  It would be interesting to have some input/discussion from those with a mixed system.  Maybe a different thread?

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:47 am »
Yeah, I have no desire for tubes. Not when the Bryston gives me the best of both worlds.

Robert D

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:48 am »
Yes Sir !

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:56 am »
 8)

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:32 pm »
Take a Look

And the back View

Robert

Thought I had a better Pic.... I'll just have to take some more

SF

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2009, 09:21 pm »
I have the BCD-1 and a Cambridge Audio 640C. While not in the same league as BCD-1, the CA 640C unit sounds pretty good for what it costs. You can also try the highly reviewed 840C, which I understand is another unit with superb performance/price value. I got my 640C for CAD 600, and I can't imagine the 840C being astronomically more expensive that its little brother. Both are UK-designed and made in China.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2009, 09:23 pm »
At or under $1k, nothing beats a Rega Apollo IMO.  And it sounds great with a B-60.

It didn't get all those awards and rave reviews for nothing!

1ZIP

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2009, 10:57 pm »
Have you had any problems with your Rega?  From what I can find they are prone to Read errors.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2009, 10:51 pm »
Mine is an earlier one and I've had a few glitches that were very well explained by both my dealer and the US distributor -

CDRs and RWs written over 8x can have read problems.  The manual states this.  I burn at 8x and never had an issue.

When I spoke with the distributor, he told me Apollos are a bit suseptable to static electricity, like a lot of cable boxes are.  When it builds up, it can create software glitches like not reading a disc, stuck on FF or RW, or will continuously play regardless of what's pressed.  Hit stop a few times and the problem is resolved.  If it keeps happening, unplug it overnight for a night.

Something is intentionally unshielded for improved sound quality.  Its not a problem unless you're in a high static-electricity environment like the Northeast in February.  My cable box needs to be unplugged and automatically re-boots once or twice during the winter, and my Apollo usually needs it around the same time.  I've never had a problem when the humidity in the room is normal and there is no static electricity issues.

I have a lot of static electricity in my listening room during the winter, and have only had to unplug it 4 times in the 3 years I've owned it if my memory is correct.  Sometimes the static electricity is so bad that I can see an arc when I touch the door knob in low light.

If I had any real problems and not just a rare annoyance, I'd have gotten rid of it.  I wouldn't recommend it, no matter how good it sounded.  Some people have gotten a bad Apollo.  Every company has its share of defective equipment.  Rega hasn't had any more than anyone else IMO.  Their distributor is also very knowledgable and friendly.  He's not James Tanner or Mike Pickett, but who really is?

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2009, 11:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, the Rega certainly has it's share of excellent reviews.  If static build-up is the only issue it likely will not be a problem here in Western Washington....dry air never seems to be a problem here.  Mold is considered a flavor!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:45 am »
I really like it.  At the same price point, I'm sure you could find a CDP that either soundstaged a little better, imaged a little better, is a little less colored, etc. 

To my ears the Apollo does an very good job at all the audiophile stuff for the money.  I don't think anything will embarass it in any way.  What it does best is simply make music.  It can carry a tune like nothing else in its price range.

I've heard far 'better' for far more money.  But...It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.