http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1897528#post1897528

another one of those "sounds bigger that it looks"

jrebman

Re: Interesting new driver
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2009, 04:02 pm »
Chris,

Is that 80 dB a typo?

-- Jim

P.S. -- on my other simple FE-127 project, I decided that dad will get the zigmahornets :-).  Just too much to do and not enough time.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2009, 05:39 pm »
Appears to be low sensitivity (not a bad thing, just a different thing), as Bob from CSS points out that the FR125S is more sensitive - it is around 85db.

I own a set of FR's, and like them.  They just need some juice to come alive.

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2009, 05:59 pm »
Chris,

Is that 80 dB a typo?

-- Jim

P.S. -- on my other simple FE-127 project, I decided that dad will get the zigmahornets :-).  Just too much to do and not enough time.

I've asked the same question, as  Bob's notes so far actually state "@+80dB" - the final touches are being put on documentation package, which should be published within the next couple of days,  but the number is apparently 86dB.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2009, 06:28 pm »
I should mention that Bob got quite a few designers & builders involved with the introduction of this driver so that when it becomes available there will already be a host of designs ready for it -- instead of the usual wait for someone to take a flyer and design a box. And the driver will probably beat some of the designs near the bottom of the queue getting to the presentable drawings available stage.

We have 2 different boxes already sitting here (a small "bipole" ML-TL, and an mFonken sized box) waiting for my eN version of the driver to get off my bench later this week, and another in the works (bipole MBVR). Stand by...

dave

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2009, 06:47 pm »
I'll certainly be interested in the bipole TL designs. :thumb:

-Roy

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2009, 09:51 pm »
I'll certainly be interested in the bipole TL designs. :thumb:

-Roy

can I say,  you could be more than "merely thirlled with the sound"   (not a typo, just a really bad pun)

chrisby

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2009, 04:53 pm »
one of several new boxes for the EL70, not exactly a bipole, but very interesting:

almost a shame to play peek-a-boo with the polka dots, but in the name of domestic peace.

Scottmoose

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2009, 09:20 am »
can I say,  you could be more than "merely thirlled with the sound"   (not a typo, just a really bad pun)

I see what you did there...  :lol:

chrisby

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:36 pm »
I've got a total of 4 stereo prs and 5 sub boxes on the go at the moment, but the first set from the "series" should be ready for first noise by the weekend 

the little mTs are quite nice