Controlling Sonos System with iPhone

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Controlling Sonos System with iPhone
« on: 4 Aug 2009, 10:15 pm »
For the last couple weeks my Sonos system has been down due to a broken power cord for the charging cradle. While searching on the Sonos website for a replacement, I see they have a new app where you can run your Sonos System from your iPhone. Basically your phone becomes the controller.

The app is free so I figured what the heck.

My Sonos is now back up and running and I am listening to it now.  :green:

Going through the app, I don't see where any features are missing. I wish I knew about this when my power cord failed.

I use the Sonos for the radio as there are some great stations throughout the globe and it's all I need.

So for those who have a Sonos and an iPhone.................

Crimson

Re: Controlling Sonos System with iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2009, 11:08 pm »
Yeah, Sonos, Slim, and iTunes. Now can a Pre do that?  :D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2009, 11:14 pm »
It would take the place of a source component but sounds much better going into a preamp unless you have the Sonos system with built in amps (I have two of them for dinning and other living room).
 There are some really good Blues/Jazz stations available that I would normally not be able to enjoy. We have junk radio stations around here.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2009, 11:31 pm »
You're correct. My post was actually a cryptic reference to the little spat going on between Apple and Palm: Palm's new Pre comes with an app to control iTunes which seems to have irked Apple. Both companies have recently upgraded their respective applications: Palm to make the app work and Apple to disable it (via an iTunes update). Currently, Apple is one up on Palm.