Difference in sound using SLAs vs. 'normal' lantern batteries?

andyr

Would anyone like to comment on the sonic result of powering a low current-draw component (like a phono stage) with SLAs vs. 'normal' zinc/carbon stack lantern batteries?  :o

Does one have a higher output impedance ... which might cause current to be drawn more slowly than the other?  If so, I would assume the slower current-delivery battery should sound less dynamic than the other one ... much like isolating transformers or mains conditioners are considered by some people to impede the dynamics of power amps?

Regards,

Andy

richidoo

You have the right idea, but I don't know if dry cells are higher source impedance than SLA. You could put a capacitor in parallel to lower the impedance. The one time I heard that it didn't make any difference added to an optima SLA. Compared to a good regulator like Hynes' batteries are nothing special for impedance and noise.  But they have some cool advantages.

Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_resistance#Battery_chemistry

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
The absolutely lowest impedance (resistance) battery around seems to be the Northstar NSB90 with 2mohm but they are "tres expensive".

andyr

The absolutely lowest impedance (resistance) battery around seems to be the Northstar NSB90 with 2mohm but they are "tres expensive".

Thanks - I'll see if I can get them here.

Regards,

Andy

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
Let's know prices & review if you get one/some - I haven't checked prices recently but $200 is about right - told you they were expensive!