Hard to believe it has been 30 years...

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Hard to believe it has been 30 years...
« on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:14 pm »
It was 30 years ago today that Yankees captain, Thurman Munson, was killed in a plane crash.

I was only 8 years old at the time and was away at baseball camp (it was linked to Paul Blair and we had lots of Yankees visit the camp) when it happened.  I still remember that I was on the ball field when we were all asked to come over to the dugout and was told the bad news.

Even at the young age of 8 years old, I was already a fierce, and fully devoted Yankee fan and this news was devastating.   :bawl:

Here's to you Thurman.   :beer:

George

hmen

Re: Hard to believe it has been 30 years...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:34 pm »
I was 21. I had just gotten home from work after stopping at the deli to pick up a sandwhich. I turned on the TV and Billy Martin was being interviewed and he was crying. I still remember the sick feeling I got when I figured out what had happened.
Munson was a great ballplayer who belongs in the Hall of Fame. He had a career average of .292, was a tremendous clutch hitter, outstanding defensively and one of the toughest players I've ever seen. He was Rookie of the Year in 1969 and MVP in 1976.  During the time he played he was the best catcher in the American League (and that includes Carlton Fisk) and was the heart and soul of two championship teams.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:40 pm »
I was 25 and remember the day, but I didn't know the whole story about the actual crash until today.  I hadn't realized he was demoing his landings for a few friends that had come by, and on the fourth pass he screwed up (FAA called it pilot error) and when he realized it he ended up putting the plane into a nearby field and doing heroic work to save the lives of his buddy passengers.  They all survived and he died when the left side of the plane hit a tree stump, throwing him and his seat forward.  He was paralyzed and couldn't get out of the flames.  His buddies tried then made it out themselves.  They are alive today cuz Thurman ditched it heroically.

He is always considered a N Ohio guy (Canton), and the plane was used so he could go home after games, have dinner with his family, and get back in time for the next game.  Many said that the plane and all the trips were too much for him, but he did it anyway.  He was quite a family man. 

+1  on the "Here's to you Thurman   :beer: "

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm »
If you want to learn more about Thurman, there is a great book that was recently released:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385522312/ref=s9_simb_gw_xu_s0_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=05BZHM3DV1297SJ1YRK3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

The author, Marty Appel, was the Yankees' PR Director and a very well respected member of the Yankees family.

I just ordered the book and hope to read it in the coming weeks.

George

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:07 am »
That was a year after my two years of little league on the Yankee team.
Yes, it was sad news for this then 13 yo boy.  I came from Milwaukee and was not a Brewers fan and didn't know much about BB.  I started little league and got on the team called the Yankees.  All my friends were Cub fans  :roll:  I watched Gilligan's Island and played base ball with the neighborhood kids every day of summer vacation...those were the days.  :)  Thurman was one of the good guys.