Time For HT Upgrade - Panasonic Plasma In My Future?

nature boy

I am planning to upgrade my old Toshiba 36" Cinema Series CRT so I can take advantage of my Verizon FIOS HD channels & other HD sources in my home theater system.

Anyone have any experience with the Panasonic TC-P54V10?  I know there are a lot of folks that swear by the Pioneer KURO's, but given Pioneer will no longer manufacture plasma's I will not purchase one.

I'm just starting to look for a plasma at this point, so suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

NB

JP78

Re: Time For HT Upgrade - Panasonic Plasma In My Future?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2009, 11:07 pm »
is budget a huge deciding factor? panasonic did purchase the kuro technology and is using in their new top model displays:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/premiere_series/panasonic-premiere-plasma-series.asp

i also just put up a 60" pioneer kuro monitor this week in our family room; purchased it with a 5 year extended warranty for which if the unit cannot be replaced i will be refunded the purchase price...all on-site. still ended up being well under 4,000usd.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion on the Panasonic Premiere models.  I am hoping to keep my plasma purchase ~ $2-2.5K.
The 60" kuro is VERY NICE though. :drool: :drool:

NB

JP78

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2009, 09:20 pm »
nb - is the display being hooked up directly to a cable box, or is it being run through a receiver? i ask because you may also have some very good options for plasma or lcd monitors (no speakers/tuner) if you're not even going to bother with the bells and whistles.

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2009, 08:49 pm »
Right now I don't have a HT receiver w/ HDMI inputs, so I plan to hook up the monitor directly to cable box and DVD player.  Eventually, I'll probably upgrade my receiver.

I am looking for a monitor with built in speakers, only because my wife prefers not to listen to the surround sound system while watching most TV shows (except for movies for which we receive a 5.1 audio signal).

NB

JP78

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2009, 10:43 pm »
i haven't seen the panasonic model you mention, but i did just get an email flyer from onecall.com where they are discounting that specific model this weekend an addtional 400.00usd so it's something like 1699.xx.  if you want send me a pm with your email address and i will forward it to you. for that price, i'm not sure you can go wrong either way!

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2009, 11:34 pm »
There are various HDMI switchboxes that you can buy that follow your signal inputs, so you can use them to supplement your receiver. 

I have owned two Panasonic plasmas, a gen 2 42" (super expensive back then) now relegated to the bedroom, and a 7th gen 58" high-def one now.  I have loved both.  The Gen2 is seriously outdated and it shows in its PQ, but it serves well as a bedroom TV monitor. 

I love my Panasonic 58" plasma.  I can't say the same for my panasonic blu-ray.  The 58" has had zero issues, superb PQ and was really affordable.  Blacks are very good, although some say Pioneer is better.  I would also consider Pioneer, but at the time they were way more expensive.  I don't notice any deficiancy in the Panasonic.  I didn't really care for any of the LCD displays I saw then.  Plus none of them were that big. 

The plasmas do run a bit hot, which some really don't like, but I find to be no issue as I don't leave it on all day.   My Onkyo receiver puts out as much or more heat.  Plus many audiophiles know heat is associated with quality in some ways.  Class A amps run HOT and typically sound way better for a given wattage.

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2009, 04:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions and information. 

NB

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:01 pm »
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and am very pleased with it.  It's a 720P and about 3 years old I think.. don't know the model.. But it is very non-fatiguing to watch, beautiful and lifelike colors, and great detail/clarity.  No problems to date.
-C

JP78

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:37 pm »
nb - i requested the email sent. let me know when you have it.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2009, 02:23 am »
Lots of discussion about Panny Plasmas on www.avsforum.com

nature boy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2009, 08:56 pm »
Thanks, I received the e-mail with the sale information.  I have scanned the AVS forums - quite a lot of differing opinions.  Now considering one or two Samsung models (PN50B860 & PN58B860) in addition to the Panasonic TC-P54V10.
Lots of good choices available, maybe too many  :duh:

NB

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2009, 10:38 pm »
Just ordered a 54V10 from Electronics Experience on eBay. David was great, received the "NFL Kickoff Package" ( 3 Yr. warranty through Mack, free shipping, 2 HDMI cables, & a Monster Surge Suppressor). Nice package and with Bing.com cashback got a ridiculously good price, just under $2,100.

I'll let everyone know how shipping and delivery goes.

Regards,

NB

murphy11

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:03 pm »
Have you received it yet? This is the set I am going with... US appliances is bundling the BD60 blue ray player for free for a sweet package price. Don't have them in stock but I think I'm going to order anyway.

Just ordered a 54V10 from Electronics Experience on eBay. David was great, received the "NFL Kickoff Package" ( 3 Yr. warranty through Mack, free shipping, 2 HDMI cables, & a Monster Surge Suppressor). Nice package and with Bing.com cashback got a ridiculously good price, just under $2,100.

I'll let everyone know how shipping and delivery goes.

Regards,

NB

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2009, 06:51 pm »
Well, I am back on the market for a new plasma.  After over a year of having my 58" mounted to the wall it suddenly and horrifically came to a crashing death.   :( :evil: :cry: :duh: :cry:

The picture is no longer, although the sound comes on.  The glass is broken.  In short, kaput.

After 5 days, I have accepted that I have to buy a new one.  Don't think the home owner's insurance is gonna cover this accident. 

I am still likely to get a 58" or thereabouts, as 63" is a bit too big. 

Panasonic or Samsung?  Pioneer is outrageously priced from what I've seen.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:08 pm »
Well, I am back on the market for a new plasma.  After over a year of having my 58" mounted to the wall it suddenly and horrifically came to a crashing death.   :( :evil: :cry: :duh: :cry:

The picture is no longer, although the sound comes on.  The glass is broken.  In short, kaput.

After 5 days, I have accepted that I have to buy a new one.  Don't think the home owner's insurance is gonna cover this accident. 

I am still likely to get a 58" or thereabouts, as 63" is a bit too big. 

Panasonic or Samsung?  Pioneer is outrageously priced from what I've seen.

Sorry to hear the bad news Josh.

The newest Panny plasmas have received excellent reviews and seem to be a the cat's meow when it comes to performance and value.  Not that I think CNET is the best place for plasma reviews, but after seeing this plasma at a friend's place, I think the review is spot on.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50v10/4505-6482_7-33490589.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

All that being said, if I got a screaming deal on a Samsung, I wouldn't be too upset.

George

Rubbbq

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:55 pm »
I just started looking for a new Panny plasma today. I have had good luck with the pro models in the past. Have you looked at this model
 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585984REG/Panasonic_TH_58PF11UK_TH_58PF11UK_58_Professional_Plasma.html

B&H typically has the best price but Best Buy is giving very good deals on monitors 50" and above...

murphy11

« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:50 pm »
Great deal and free blue ray player promo ends today http://www.us-appliance.com/panasonichdtvs.html   I ordered this last night and will post pics and impressions when it gets mounted.

nature boy

« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2009, 12:53 am »
Well the Panasonic TC-P54V10 and Oppo BDP-83 blue ray player simply make for a truly OUTSTANDING home theater experience.  The PQ on both blue ray discs and upscaled standard DVD's through the Oppo are simply amazing.

The plasma isn't even broken in yet (I'm told 125 hours for pixels to settle in) and I simply can't believe my eyes.  I will eventually get the Panny calibrated for an even better picture - Chad B. here I come.

I am a truly happy camper.  Tons of info on CNET and over at the AVS forum on the Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Pioneer, ect. plasmas.  Panny black levels don't match the Pio's, but it's pretty close.

NB   

murphy11

« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm »
I received five sweet words today about my 54V10 order - "Your order is shipping today! "

Can't wait!