For Sale: Apogee Scintilla Mahogany Finish

mt9894

For Sale: Apogee Scintilla Mahogany Finish
« on: 2 Aug 2009, 01:26 am »
For sale is a pair of fabulously looking and sounding Apogee Scintilla speakers. These were recently purchased from the original owner and traded-in towards a pair of new Quad 2905's. Please read the description below offered by the original owner's son.

-------------------------------

These mint condition specimens of Apogee's classic and much beloved Scintilla model was purchased brand new from an Apogee dealer by my 86 year old father 17 years ago. They are 140 lbs ea unpacked, and 57" x 30" x 3 1/2". He doesn't listen much, and he doesn't listen loud. He has used nothing but Cello top of the line electronics to drive these legendary speakers, with a Goldmund turntable as the primary source playing exclusivly classical music.

My mother is picky and insisted that the speakers match the finish of her grand piano, so my father spared no expense and had a master woodworker refinish the rather dull gray cabinets into a beautiful mahogany finish, to please my mother and still be able to own his dream speakers. This finish makes the speakers look much less dated and makes them much more visually acceptable in a living room. I believe my father paid about $1000 for the custom finish work at the time.

This version of the Scintilla has taps for 1 ohm and 4 ohm operation, a selection to be made depending on your amp. Other versions force the 1 ohm operation and have one set of taps only. In general, I'd recommend the 4 ohm operation, as not many amps can remain stable into a 1 ohm load (1 ohm is a dead short), but if you have one of the few that can, the Scintilla becomes even more spectacular in terms of transparency and dynamics.

You probably know that there is a big online cottage industry supporting Apogee, and that a cult-like following still exists for their best models such as the Diva and Scintilla. Here's your chance to get a very attractive pair in great shape for the price of a set of unexceptional bookshelf speakers - just plan on bringing along a good amp.

This pair is unbelievably clean considering the age, and I cannot believe how good they sound even by current standards.

-------------------------------

They are currently packed in their original boxes. I will ship them on a long pallet at the buyer's expense. I will not charge any handling or packing fees. I have a forklift so you will not have to pay extra to your shipper for non-dock level access. Of course, local pickup is also welcomed in Hyde Park, just outside of Boston.

Some pics taken at the original owner's home are available here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~brent_wilson/apogee/

Asking $5100 USD.

Thanks for reading,
Martin

mt9894

Re: For Sale: Apogee Scintilla Mahogany Finish
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:45 pm »
still available...

mt9894

Re: For Sale: Apogee Scintilla Mahogany Finish
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »