Ambience Of Room

Browntrout

Ambience Of Room
« on: 1 Aug 2009, 09:20 pm »
I realise this is possibly a bit of the beaten track but if you have a listening room what colour did you paint it and why? Mine is a lovely green called Box Hedge from the National Trust Collection and is completely matt in finish, as paint used to be, I find this lovely soft and natural green helps me relax into the music and goes well with the wood in my speaker cabinets and stereo rack. I have no special lighting as yet but do find small shaded lamps or uplighters quite calming, certainly a dim lighting helps the mind to be free whilst listening.
 Did you have mood in mind when decorating? I think this can make a huge difference to the listening experience.

MaxCast

Re: Ambience Of Room
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2009, 12:29 am »
I have two greens in my room.  I like the one but not so much the other.  I wish I would have gone with black and tan.  I recently saw a pic of a nice room done in black n tan but I don't remember where. 
I still have to put up 6 wall sconces but have not done so yet.  I did put down some rope lighting that snuggled atop the carpet but beneath the dry wall that looks real good with the lights out.  Sets a very good mood as you say.

Scott F. has some of the best mood rooms I have seen.

Browntrout

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2009, 07:29 pm »
Hello Maxcast thankyou for your reply. I am in the process of sorting my listening room out and are trying different acoustic room treatments before finishing the decoration. All on the cheap you understand. Anyway I have done a couple of videos using my digital camera and put them on Youtube so you guys can see my stereo. Unfortunatly there would appear to be a problem with the microphone in my camera so there is a rather annoying noise behind the recordings so I appologise for this. Either way I hope you can still enjoy the music, here you are....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr3U3SIfn00
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sOwDZr3Jk

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2009, 10:05 pm »
Yes Max, Scott does have ambiance in his rooms...That's for darn sure.
Between the colors, the ambient lighting and the "things" scattered around the room, there is plenty of ambiance in all of his rooms.

Ben, A couple things;
- I think it would be GREAT if all of us would put Youtube videos of our room up all to see. That's great, and I applaud you for being the first (that I've seen).
- The asymmetry of your rack and speakers drives me nuts. The fact the rack is much further to the left channel and the acoustic panel behind the rack is "off", combined with the wires on the floor would practically kill me. Sorry.
- I thought these videos would be of your room....in the spirit of the thread after all.....not so much what kind of music you listen to on the turntable. The "chomping at the bit" I experienced while waiting for the camera to pan around the room to see the ambiance you spoke of was almost painful. Watching the camera "hover" on the equipment, all the while waiting to see what else there is in Browntrouts man cave left me "wanting". That was about seven minutes of waiting to see where a Browntrout lives. Not just his equipment.

All in all Ben, it's a good couple of videos. Again, I applaud you for doing it (I've yet to learn how to put videos on Youtube). Don't be pissed at me, please.

--But to answer your question of what color my room is; It's a matte dark gray with natural read oak woodwork. The dark(ish) color is due to the fact it's doubles as a home theater room.

Bob

Browntrout

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2009, 11:24 pm »
I totally understand Bob. I did not want to pan round as my room is very small and very messy at the moment with only a third finished decorating and some assorted junk in there so was a little embarresed to show the extremely meagre accomodation for my stereo. Thankyou for being honest and posting.
  I have just bought a Audio technica ATR 25 stereo condenser microphone to improve the sound quality but have found my soundcard only has a single 3.5mm jack for mic input so will either have to get a dual mono to stereo 3.5mm adapter or a new card to render a decent recording. I have also found that my camera records in .MOV files so it would seem (in the short time between shifts that I have had spare) that the freeware video editing software I have quickly tried does not support this format.
  I shall endevour to produce a decent recording of my stereo for you chaps to hear but please bear with me as it is a learning curve for me also. I cant stand software to be honest and almost always struggle with it. Human interfacing has always been a problem for me :wink:
  To see alot of you guys with such beautifull houses and lots of space with which to work does make me rather shy to post my listening room being so small and meagre. I hope you can understand.
  The off centre setup is only temporary as is the whole adhoc acoustic treatments as I am new to this sort of thing I thought experimenting without commiting serious money at first would be a good idea.
  Anyhow thanks very much for watching and hopefully over the next week or so I will be able to improve greatly the realism of the video and sound. I do think it is possible to hear a bit of the vibrancy of the music from my stero coming through, with a bit of imagination. :D
  Thanks again, Ben.