BP-26 manual from BRYSTON website

SFOX

BP-26 manual from BRYSTON website
« on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:42 am »
James

I tried to download the BP-26 manual from the website and received an error message showing document not available ...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP-26 manual from BRYSTON website
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2009, 12:17 pm »
James

I tried to download the BP-26 manual from the website and received an error message showing document not available ...

Ok thanks -I will forward to webmaster to correct.

james

VOLKS

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:14 am »
lol i can postal mail you the "Offical" Bryston loose pages stuck together with the one staple in the corner.............thats about the best you get from Bryston.............Horrible/cheap owners manual.....certainly not in league with their gear....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 11:58 am »
lol i can postal mail you the "Offical" Bryston loose pages stuck together with the one staple in the corner.............thats about the best you get from Bryston.............Horrible/cheap owners manual.....certainly not in league with their gear....

I agree, but actually I have been trying for a while now (for environmental reasons) to figure a way to get rid of the hardcopy manuals and literature altogether?

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:04 pm »
I sure don't need glossy covers and picts to read up on my components.
One thing I noticed before with the manuals,is Bryston's NO NONSENSE approach
Basically read once and Done(simple)and to the point :thumb:,of operation.
Do I need more,NOT.
And as James says definately helps out with the enviroment.
I have a Arcam FMJ-139 manual and it's almost as thick as a town's phone book
and every page glossed over.I looked at it 3-4 times as to set her up and that's it.
Along with that,my prepro,subs and speaker manuals,I have at least 2-3 inches
of wasted paper.I 'd rather see a couple of black and white pcs. of paper with a staple  :bawl:,rather than the waste of paper I have in my manuals.
A few hunderd thousand manuals adds up to alot of paper when you actually
THINK about it,let alone other STUFF we consume and throw away.
Think I'll go slap on a Stormy Sunday(Monday)blues cd and drift away...........

srb

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:07 pm »
And as James says definately helps out with the enviroment. 
I 'd rather see a couple of black and white pcs. of paper with a staple  :bawl: ,rather than the waste of paper I have in my manuals.

I assume the stapled pages are printed on both sides?

Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm »
both sides, :thumb:.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:38 pm »

And on recycled paper?

Steve

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:50 pm »
I don't know about that,I do know my Bryston components won't be going to
the RECYCLE BIN any time soon,another big plus :lol:.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2009, 05:54 pm »
How true.  I cringe when I think of how much of my 5-10 year old "recycled" computers and CRTs will actually end up in the landfill.

Probably safe to say the Bryston preamps and amps will still be around in 20 years, maybe with a different owner, but still kicking.

Steve

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm »

I can respect both sides of this argument.

Where I do not require glossily manuals, I believe that a medium quality, bonded manual is not too much to expect from audio equipment in this price range. I have had stapled manuals before and they are notorious for getting torn very easily and have pages go missing. It does make you wonder a little bit when you see a manual comprised of a few stapled pages included with a pair of amplifiers listing at approximately $17,000.00.

I have seen a SST(SQ) C-Series brochure from Bryston. Very nicely done with a glossy finish. Why is this not made up of a few stapled sheets - could this be strictly an aesthetics consideration trumping environmental concerns? Just an observation :scratch:

You could reduce paper consumption almost in half with respect to mono-block sales. When an individual orders a pair of 28Bs or 7Bs, only send one copy of the manual.

When I received my Esoteric CD player, the manual included with it was not extravagant by any means but was of good quality and durability. At the other end of the spectrum, my cables arrived in padded, lockable, leather(?) boxes - this was way over the top and totally uncalled for. I would definitely call this a waste.

I can also understand that you do not require a lot of information with amplifiers as they are fairly straight forward. What I will most likely do is place my manuals in a binder with my sales receipt. Do not get me wrong, I immensely enjoy all aspects of my Bryston equipment every day of the week and I am very happy with my purchase - after all, it is the performance which counts.

Awesome sound and aesthetics... talk about a win, win situation :thumb:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:45 pm »
How true.  I cringe when I think of how much of my 5-10 year old "recycled" computers and CRTs will actually end up in the landfill.

Probably safe to say the Bryston preamps and amps will still be around in 20 years, maybe with a different owner, but still kicking.

Steve

I hope to have my Bryston amplifiers in 20 years time, I also hope that their owner will also still be kicking in 20 years time... :lol:

Be well...

srb

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:01 pm »
I have seen a SST(SQ) C-Series brochure from Bryston. Very nicely done with a glossy finish. Why is this not made up of a few stapled sheets - could this be strictly an aesthetics consideration trumping environmental concerns? Just an observation :scratch:

Because they are trying to entice you to hand over your money.  Nice color photos really help with that, and the photos always look better printed on paper with some level of gloss.  Once you've made your buying decision and handed over the money, well, you've handed over the money.

I think a compromise could be made to use a medium weight 100% post-consumer waste recycled paper (handsome, but with little speckles and all).  Maybe it could have no binding at all - print it on 11" X 17" stock folded in half.  It would be heavy enough to stay together more or less, but without staples to tear, and when hole punched would work better when inserted into binders.

Note: There is also brochure quality paper available in 100% recycled, you just have to look a little harder for it.

Steve

SFOX

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2009, 01:12 am »
James

What about designing and printing the manuals with the same 'look' as your current marketing literature ...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2009, 01:22 am »
James

What about designing and printing the manuals with the same 'look' as your current marketing literature ...

Yes that is an option or maybe some kind of electronic manual - DVD?

james

95Dyna

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm »

I agree, but actually I have been trying for a while now (for environmental reasons) to figure a way to get rid of the hardcopy manuals and literature altogether?

james
Why all the fuss when owners manuals are availble on the website.  One reason Bryston is such a good value is that they don't waste money on superfluous surrounds to their products.  To me, including even the stapled copies of the manuals in the shipping box is a waste of paper and the time of Bryston personnel.

SF

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:35 pm »
With all due respect, I would agree with the minimalist approach. The information has to be clearly presented and be useful. Anything beyond that would not be required.To be honest, anytime a Bryston piece is on its way, I just look up the manual PDF prior to arrival. I don't think I have ever looked at that the printed manual. More impressive with Bryston (and I think this is very very useful), is the spec sheet that comes with each amp.

I was about to buy a demo 4BSST when I came across a 12 yo 14BS(S)T in Toronto for the same price. After listening to the 14B, which was more refined than the 4BSST, I emailed Bryston, who indicated that my particular set (based on serial number) had never been serviced and had another 8 yrs of warranty that got transferred to me. The original spec sheet was lost, but the measurements were on file with Bryston and they forwarded the sheet with measurements on my unit. Long story short, I would much rather have this level of attention to detail than glossy pictures.

I suppose you can have both the glossy manual and the other aspects of Bryston. I, however, really think that there is a beauty, "chic-ness", or elegance in the plain 600wpc, mean monster of an amp. Combining it with slim pre-amp, CD player, etc, the combination works. The paper manual does not help that image: all business and responsible.

Having said all of this, my wife, who is very design oriented, just dismissed my argument above, and thought that the equipment should be adorned appropriately with manuals and brochures. Go figure.

Anyway, don't mean to be disrespectful, but there is a very definite charm to Bryston gear/box/manual. I would not change it.

Laundrew

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2009, 07:06 pm »

I, however, really think that there is a beauty, "chic-ness", or elegance in the plain 600wpc, mean monster of an amp. Combining it with slim pre-amp, CD player, etc, the combination works. The paper manual does not help that image: all business and responsible.

I couldn't agree more, when is comes to aesthetics... less is more!