boatschool02's HT3 are back on a'gon

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
boatschool02's HT3 are back on a'gon
« on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:31 am »
boatschool02's HT3 are back on a'gon.

I am only 90 minutes away, and I have a little cash saved up.  Too bad I only have a 205 square foot room.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1254084667

This is a great deal for a great speaker, IMO.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: boatschool02's HT3 are back on a'gon
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:36 am »
Looks like a big for sale list...... :o

Nice finish on those Salk's.... 8)

dmatt

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 05:26 am »
Nice looking HT3s and very nice price.

Boatschool02 says the black woofers are the preferred ones.  Is that true?  Or is it like red Ferraris having 5 more HP than other colors?

David
(who has silver woofers and is having bouts of speaker inadequacy :|)

JP78

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2009, 06:28 am »

Boatschool02 says the black woofers are the preferred ones.  Is that true?  Or is it like red Ferraris having 5 more HP than other colors?

David

i believe the black woofers were a limited production run and no longer available, so if we're judging preference based on scarcity then he may have a point.

and for what it's worth, i always thought the fly yellow ferrari had 5 more horsepower. ;)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:41 pm »

David

Size matters, but color doesn't.  I personally think silver looks better, but I know there isn't any difference in performance. 

boatschool02

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:15 pm »
Hello,

I'm sorry if there was any confusion.  The original owner and I prefer the black woofer because it doesn't shine through the grills, when not in use.

Given a different front baffle color, I'd probably prefer the silver woofer.

I'm selling my system to focus more on professional reading and fitness over the next year before I return to sea duty.

Luke

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:20 pm »
Too bad I only have a 205 square foot room.

That's great, they'll fit.  :thumb:

dmatt

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Luke.  I agree a black woofer would be less conspicuous behind a dark grill.  But I forgot the HT3 came with grills -- mine have been in storage since the speakers got here.  Good luck with the sale (and the sail.)

JP78, I agree with you on yellow Ferraris, but I was just quoting common wisdom (from red Ferrari owners).

David

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2009, 04:28 pm »
Hello,

I'm sorry if there was any confusion.  The original owner and I prefer the black woofer because it doesn't shine through the grills, when not in use.

I'm selling my system to focus more on professional reading and fitness over the next year before I return to sea duty.

Luke

Navy I assume, based on your avatar picture?  Whichever branch it is, thank you.  Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom.  I wish you the best!

earthbound

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2009, 07:31 pm »
I agree a black woofer would be less conspicuous behind a dark grill.
But the lighter ones look teasingly sexy behind the semi-transparent black grills!  :drool:
Mike

RadioWonder

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2009, 08:31 pm »
Hello,

Luke

So what kind of amplifier does it take to drive these to normal listening levels?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2009, 09:22 pm »

Nope, respectfully.  When I initially contacted Jim, I planned on ordering the HT3, but my room is too small.  So much bass, so little space.  (and that rhymes, too.)

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2009, 11:42 pm »

Nope, respectfully.  When I initially contacted Jim, I planned on ordering the HT3, but my room is too small.  So much bass, so little space.  (and that rhymes, too.)

I respectfully disagree.  I really don't think its how much, its how you use it.  :wink:  I happen to be a proponent of Geddes' bass school of thought.  Its about evening out modes and nodes (not technically correct terms).  If you were to do a distributed placement of subs you could probably get away with the HT3s without "overloading the room". 

However, money might be better spent, in a small room, on a pair of HT1s and multiple subs (like JDUB's swarm for sale). 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2009, 01:08 am »

I respectfully disagree.  I really don't think its how much, its how you use it.  :wink:  I happen to be a proponent of Geddes' bass school of thought.  Its about evening out modes and nodes (not technically correct terms).  If you were to do a distributed placement of subs you could probably get away with the HT3s without "overloading the room". 

However, money might be better spent, in a small room, on a pair of HT1s and multiple subs (like JDUB's swarm for sale).

I have the HT2-TL.  They work great.  Not that I hadn't wanted the HT3, initially, and would still purchase a pair if my room were larger.

MaxCast

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:04 am »
The HT2's are damn fine themselves.  At AKfest I walked in the room when some speakers were playing (the ht2's were right next to the ht3's).  I stood for a song or two.  I honestly couldn't tell what speakers were playing so I walked up to Jim and asked him.  He said the ht2's with a big smile on his face.  He was definitely happy with the way they were sounding and I was very impressed.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2009, 03:14 am »
So what kind of amplifier does it take to drive these to normal listening levels?

Depends on your normal listening level, size of your room, room treatments, etc., but

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/comparison_grid.htm

Also, this isn't the case where "it isn't the size of your amp, but how you use it."  Here, power matters.  :D   Regardless, Frank has driven his HT3 to fairly loud levels in a treated room with the 32 watt per channel Ultimate 70.  I love listening to the HT2-TL with the U70, and prefer certain aspects of the U70 (32 watts per channel) to the Insight 440 (220 watts per channel), but the HT2-TL are easier to drive than the HT3, I believe.

RadioWonder

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:37 pm »
Thanks,oneinthepipe! Most helpful... :D

I use VTL 80 watt monoblocks and I am really interested in purchasing the Veracity QW,but have not found any users in this forum.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2009, 03:47 pm »
Thanks,oneinthepipe! Most helpful... :D

I use VTL 80 watt monoblocks and I am really interested in purchasing the Veracity QW,but have not found any users in this forum.

I don't think that there are very many sales of the Veracity QW.  The cabinet is expensive to build, and Jim intends to produce the HT1-TL, which might be considered a lower cost replacement.  The HT2-TL is not too much more expensive than the QW, but I don't know how they compare sonically. There is also the V3, if you don't need a TL design.  However, in this price-range, boatschool's HT3 should be considered, IMO.  You have enough power, I believe.  Regardless, if you ask Jim, he will assist you.  Also, zybar has tube amps, and he had the HT3, and he might be helpful advising if the VTL monoblocks are powerful enough.

boatschool02

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2009, 07:48 pm »
Everyone,

I'm driving to NYC tomorrow morning (Sat, 01AUG) to deliver the other pair of speakers I just sold.  Take a look at my other Audiogon listings in addition to the HT-3's. 

Since I'm already going to be on the road for 6 hours, I'm willing to drive anywhere else in this part of the country to save the buyer shipping expenses and the possibility of any damage.

Thanks for your consideration.

Luke

evan1

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm »
 :drool:

do you take payments