Recommend Gasketing Material

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Recommend Gasketing Material
« on: 30 Jul 2009, 12:38 am »
Today Albert Von Schwiekert  posted about his patent pending cabinet construction techniques in his circle here at AC. Part of his proprietary design is using "visco-elastic polymer clay gasket material, originally designed to damp the hull of nuclear submarines". This seems like a good idea. Since I do not have access to nuclear submarines I was wondering if anyone here might have a source for gasketing material for my Visaton B200 drivers. When I first got the Omega A8s I thought about doing this but it slipped my mind.......until now. Optimally the gasket should do just as Mr. Von Schwiekert says, and that is to acoustically isolate the driver so that it 'floats' on the baffle. TIA for any insight you may have.

jrebman

Re: Recommend Gasketing Material
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:05 am »
I myself prefer a material that puts a super thin, non-resonant gasket between the driver and cabinet, and then use brass screws for mounting.

I am just starting to experiment with gore-tex gasketing material myself, and although quite expensive, is probably nowhere near as expensive as the stuff Von Schwiekert is using, and probably more easily avaialable, but still not exactly something you can pick up at parts express or your local hardware store.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to compare this on my horns -- first using the standard thin foam gasket supplied with the driver, then the thicker gaskets that come with the Fostex grille kit, and finally the gore-tex gasket.

Note, for this to work properly both the driver flange and mounting surface of the speaker should be clean, flat, and very smooth -- i.e, wet sanded lacquer on the speaker and the hollow driver flange filled with epoxy and sanded smooth.

-- Jim

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Recommend Gasketing Material
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:31 am »
Thanks Jim. Looking forward to your findings!