As a proud new owner of a pair of single driver, high efficient speakers...

Beatlebum

...just wanted to say thanks to all of the contributor's here who's past posts were instrumental in my decision process, and I'm glad to see this circle re-opened. BTW, my speakers are Brines Acoustics LT-2000/DX3 Mk. II's, based on the Lowther DX3 driver and a mass loaded transmission line cabinet. I use a REL Strata III to fill in the lower freq's. I listen to mostly rock (Beatles, Wilco, Replacements, Drive By Truckers, etc.) and jazz (Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, etc.) and I am very happy with the performance.

bluemike

lOOKING GOOD SIR  aa

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Congrats and thanks for posting the nice photo.  I'm sure the system sounds just as nice.

Could you tell what preamp/amp are you using to drive the LT-2000s?  And how do you hook up the REL to the system, via high- or low-level connection?

I'm also a customer of Bob, owning the FTA-2000s with upgraded part filters, and driving them with SP MPX3 preamp/Patek SE amp.  A REL Storm III is serving HT setup.

jrebman

Welcome to the world of SD speakers and congrats on what looks like a fine speaker.  About to become a Lowther owner myself (DX65 in BLH cabinet).

In my experience the amplification is the key to a good single driver experience, so take your time and try as many different things as you can borrow, beg, or...

Welcome again,

Jim

Beatlebum

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Regarding amplification, the preamp is a Don Allen linestage (6BQ7A based) and the amp is a Don Allen custom KT88 based stereo amp rated at 8 wpc.

doorman

If your rig sounds as good as it looks, many pleasant hours lie ahead!
Don
Love the "Kings" photo too

roberts4152

Looks great, and love the double Thorens set up.  Would you mind telling me what the rack/cabinet is?  I have been looking for something just like that.  Thanks much. 

pardales

Nice set-up!  :thumb:  I went Single Driver almost 5 years ago and have not looked back.

Beatlebum

Thanks again for the compliments.

Roberts4152,

The stand is one that I had custom made to my dimensions by a local woodworking shop. It's made from 1 1/2" thick maple butcher block (top) and 3/4" for the shelves, 2" square legs. Color is mahoganny.

Here's another shot to look at. Sorry for the shoddy picture quality.

MerRev

a very classy looking room to say the least Beatlebum. :thumb:
Bob Brines does a great job on those and the mahogany furniture works well with your choice of paint colors.  Btw, what color did you choose?

Chris merrev

roberts4152

Thanks, Beatlebum.  Very nicely done. 

Beatlebum

Chris,

I had the LT-2000/DX3's stained in Benjamin Moore red mahogany.

Thanks,

Tim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Thanks for posting.

I'm a Bob Brines fan too (commissioned the original FTA-2000's).  He's a good guy and does good work.  I'm a big fan of single driver designs and mass loaded transmission lines.  I'd really like to hear the LT-2000 with Lowthers as I expect them to be outstanding loudspeakers.

I'd recommend losing the coffee table, adding room treatments, and pulling the speakers farther out into the room (depending on your room dimensions). 

BTW I've just recently set up a Behringer DEQ2496 to replace the baffle step/zobel circuit and of course to handle the room equalization.

Beatlebum

Thanks JLM.

What are your recommendations as far as pulling the speakers out further?

Tim

Beatlebum

Hey JLM,

I don't know how to access your systems. How far out in the room do you have your FT-2000's?

Tim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Tim,

I use the Cardias prescribed formulas for (nearfield) setup and room dimensions.  Nearfield helps to take out room effects while producing something between farfield and headphone sound.

My room is 13 ft x 22 ft x 8 ft.  The speakers are 67 inches from the front wall and 45 inches from the side walls (as I recall, check the Cardias website).