Pioneer vs Sony

MC12

Pioneer vs Sony
« on: 27 Dec 2003, 10:13 pm »
I could use some help (I don't know a lot about audio equipment ). I would like to upgrade my dvd/cd player which would be teamed up with a Lexicon MC12 and a Sunfire amp. My speakers are KEF reference series model four-two. I would like to be able to play sacd dvda. I have looked at the Sony DVP-NS-999ES and the Poineer DV-59-AVI so far but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. Are there others I may look at? Thank you for any help or suggestions. Jim

bubba966

Pioneer vs Sony
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2003, 10:42 pm »
Well, if you're looking for DVD-A that rules out Sony's.

I demo'd both the 999ES & 47Ai at my house a bit ago.

I found the 999ES to be lacking in color saturation & sharpness at factory settings compared to the 47Ai. Adjusting the setting on the Sony brought the color saturation up to that of the 47Ai, but nothing could be done to compensate for the soft picture the 999ES was putting out.

But that's how Sony's are. A more "film-like" picture reminiscent of a high quality analog LD player (Pioneer Elite CLD-97, etc.). While the Pioneer's put out a sharper picture.

Some people like the softer picture a Sony puts out, some like the sharper picture a Pioneer puts out.

I myself am more fond of a sharper picture. Which is one reason I didn't go for the 999ES. I ended up with both an Ai, and the Pioneer DV-AX10. Though I'll be selling the Ai shortly and keeping the AX10.

I also find the Pioneer's to be easier to setup & use on a daily basis. I don't like the bad UI that Sony's have. They (Sony) really need to make their gear easier to use IMO.

You need to find out what your preferrences are. What type of picture quality do you like? What type of user interface do you like? What features/formats do you need? Do you want to be able to do region/Macrovision/UOP mods?

There's many a factor in choosing a player. It's taken me 5 years & many different players before I found one that I'm happy with. So the sooner you find out what you do or don't like, and what you do or don't need then you can find out what player is right for you.

Ferdi

Pioneer vs Sony
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2003, 12:20 am »
Hi, I just got a Denon DVD2900 that I am very happy with. It does a lot of useful things:

CD
DVD
SACD
DVD-A

and some things that may come in handy:
MP3
JPG pictures
VCD etc.

I am really impressed with its DVD picture and like the SACD. The CD performance is really good and well balanced, generally warm in tonality. My old and modded Sony CDPX77ES still beats it though.

try to add this to your list of players to review.

groeten,

Ferdi

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Pioneer vs Sony
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2003, 02:08 am »
My stuff has been more beer budget, but both my Pioneer DV-45A and Denon DVD-2200 have great pictures.  I don't really have a preference for video, except that the Denon has a lot better remote.

Sonically, tho, my Denon kills the Pioneer, and the two units are about the same price.