old marantz any good?

WerTicus

old marantz any good?
« on: 27 Dec 2003, 06:45 pm »
i have a friend who isnt really much into audio but he loves records and wanted to get a cheap one from a pawn shoppe... anyways he saw some old marantz there and wanted to know if it would be any good.... (good being subjective here)

he cant even remember the model number for it but would it be likely to be better than an old sony that was next to it... these things are going for like 50 bucks so you know... :P

any opinions?

randog

old marantz any good?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2003, 08:01 pm »
The old Marantz 22XX receivers are great. I still have a 2285B I bought new. However, when I bought my setup back then, the turntable was the only thing I didn't buy Marantz. I bought Technics instead, so I can't speak for their old turntables. Marantz went downhill on everything from 1980-on.

There is a Yahoo group called Marantztalk that would be a better reference.

Good luck,
Randog

Tonto Yoder

old marantz any good?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2003, 08:05 pm »
Why not look at the Marantz tables auctioned on eBay?? There was a 6300 that went for $161, while others seem to go for peanuts.

It might well depend on WHEN the table was made--probably better when Marantz was sold through higher-end stores along with their seperates and receivers and probably worse when Marantz sold mostly rack systems with a TT thrown in.

There are some Marantz models mentioned in the Audio Asylum archives.

Here's what looks like an informative site--
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html
There's a column for turntables.

BikeWNC

old marantz any good?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2003, 09:50 pm »
I have a 6300 that I bought in the mid 70's.  It has been dragged around from move to move sometimes living in a box for years at a time.  I haven't compared it to anything more modern, but I think it does an OK job at playing a LP.  If you only want to spend $50 on a TT the Marantz might not be a bad way to go.  I think it could be substantially improved with a few mods like to the PC and phono cable.

Andy

beat

Nice build for the money
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2003, 09:27 pm »
I think for 50 bucks it is a good place to start. For that little, he can save up and put a decent cart on there later. I was impressed by what a 40 dollar ortofon can do. This is assuming it is or close to the 6300s

WerTicus

old marantz any good?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2003, 08:32 am »
my friend ended up getting a beogram 1202 after all that....

its a heavy little thing... but bang and olusfen are like bose mostly (over priced crude) or what?

he got it for free anyways

Tonto Yoder

old marantz any good?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2003, 10:56 am »

B&0 was like Bose in being high-priced, but I think they emphasized style as much, if not more, than sound. In the 70's, my local audio store carried both B&0 and an early series of the Bose 901 speakers, and I imagine many were sold to the affluent who wanted a stereo to blend into the decor.

While it may not set an audiophile's a heart a pumping,  It probably will serve your friend's needs. Will the tonearm accept non-B&0 cartridges??

WerTicus

old marantz any good?
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2003, 02:48 pm »
i dont know if it will accept non b&o carts just yet... i dont think so it looks very 'different'

my friends problem is that it is missing the top of the platter... so records dont sit high enough... i would need to know the platters mass to make another one that would work properly too i imagine

oh well it was free!